Nexus 5: mysteriously drops dead in middle of text message

ntisithoj

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I just got my brand new LG N5 (hammerhead d820(h) 32gb HHZ11K)... and after a week of using it i was sending a chat to a friend and the screen shoock a little then the whole machine froze. I had to reboot, but when I did, it froze when the colored balls appeared. After many attempts I decided to just reflash the whole thing with the hammerhead-kot49h factory image.

But when I do that, it never succeeds

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-hhz11k.img
sending 'bootloader' (2508 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.288s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: flash write failure)
finished. total time: 43.475s

fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-1.0.25.0.23.img
sending 'radio' (42049 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.505s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [ 2.849s]
finished. total time: 4.355s

and to just test, i tried

fastboot flash boot boot.img (succeeds)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (succeeds)
fastboot flash system system.img (fails - device freezes on 'erasing...'))
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img (succeeds)
fastboot flash cache cache.img (fails - device freezes on 'erasing...')

I read somewhere that it is best to use the manufacturers tools, so I downloaded the LG Nexus Root Kit, but that was a mess.. still trying)

To me it seems like the internal memory just blew up!

so, my questions are:

Is this bricked?
Can i reformat and somehow mark bad section of memory off limits? like e2fsck/mkfs does?
Can i replace the internal memory myself somehow? (I live in Argentina, and to get this RMA'd, fixed and returned will take many many months and cost $$$ in import fees, assuming it doesn't get 'lost' in customs, like half my stuff)?

Any ideas?

It seems rather bizarre that a brand new N5 justs bricks itself for no reason... but, here I am.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by a moderator:

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Could be a bug with the app? I about 5 minutes ago had my phone randomly crash and reboot when my Instagram feed was refreshing. I assume the app caused the crash. First kind of problem I ever encountered with my Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ntisithoj

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
but if it was an app bug only, i could reflash the devive, which I can't... and it seems that only certain parts of the RAM are bad because I can flash some images and not others