[Q] Unlocking and Rooting

Avinash Nag

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am from India and I just happened to read this thread. I have a few questions and I appreciate If you could answer them.

I purchased a new nexus 5 32 GB. Now, I am afraid to do rooting as it could void my warranty.

I would like to know how to install apps to the external storage. Since Nexus 5 comes without an sd card(sealed sd card). How do I access this sd card, becuase If I install any app. It just installs(currently, it tells 350mb and 26 GB free). Now, is this telling me that 350 MB is being used on sd card.

If I install any app from play store, By default, where it will install, in the internal 32 GB Memory or on the 2GB RAM ?

Because, my intention is that whatever apps I install, It should by default install in the 32GB internal storage and not on the 2GB RAM. How to do this ? If any screenshot helps, please let me know.

Regards,
Avi

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Avi,
This is a screen shot of the memory storage of a Nexus 5 (16 GB), Notice that the total memory you have access to is 12.55 GB, Now the rest is taken by the default apps and Android OS. So basically when you read the 350 MB underneath the app's section it means that the apps are currently occupying 350 mb of space on the total drive. You see it's like owning a HDD on a computer with only one physical drive. As it begins to fill up, you will be able to tell how much you have filled the space and how much of it is left. Hope this answer helps. As for rooting your phone without voiding your warranty, well it depends upon your warranty provider. Some providers only void your warranty if you unlock the bootloader of the phone while others void the warranty if you root it. There are even some who just don't care if you have done whatever to the phone but if you do manage to brick your phone, they only take responsibility for things that you didn't manage to screw up. Hope this helped you out.
Nexus_5_Internal_Memory.jpg

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you ever need to return for repair or replacement restore the factory images from Google. That's one of the benefits of having a Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance