System app vs user app

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
What different functions and/or permissions does a system app get over a user app? Say I converted my gmail app to a user app via Titanium, backup, does anything change? This is my first time ever posting, so please bear with me as I get used to using a forum for the first time ever in my life. Thanks!

ragavbpl

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
What different functions and/or permissions does a system app get over a user app? Say I converted my gmail app to a user app via Titanium, backup, does anything change? This is my first time ever posting, so please bear with me as I get used to using a forum for the first time ever in my life. Thanks!

I was wondering the same.. if someone could reply to this question, it would be awesome :)

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Other than the ability to uninstall it with native tools there is no difference that you, the user, can see. Just as a fair warning: if you uninstall a system app, it will not be installed in a factory reset. You will have to flash the stock images to get them back to system apps. Titanium backup may be able to 'convert' the apps for you but I can't remember. Maybe someone else does?

I personally have moved all Play apps other than the Play Store to user apps. It makes it easier to install updates before the rollout hits me. Plus if it decides to misbehave I can quickly uninstall and reinstall. And I can uninstall what I don't need and a factory reset doesn't mean I have to hunt through them again to remove.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Other than the ability to uninstall it with native tools there is no difference that you, the user, can see. Just as a fair warning: if you uninstall a system app, it will not be installed in a factory reset. You will have to flash the stock images to get them back to system apps. Titanium backup may be able to 'convert' the apps for you but I can't remember. Maybe someone else does?

I personally have moved all Play apps other than the Play Store to user apps. It makes it easier to install updates before the rollout hits me. Plus if it decides to misbehave I can quickly uninstall and reinstall. And I can uninstall what I don't need and a factory reset doesn't mean I have to hunt through them again to remove.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have done the same as well lol. Also I do have the factory images just in case, just was wondering if there was any functional difference.

Thank you for your reply.

-wardawgmalvicious
Rooted N5/N7 2nd Gen
MultiROM TWRP
Franco Kernel
Stock 4.4.2 infused with GB
Ubuntu Touch
-Sent using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's no difference in terms of app performance when it comes to having the apps on /system as opposed to /user. As stated, /user apps allow the user to delete apps. /system apps usually are apps and services that may affect device performance or services if removed or modified. Google services is one such example. If deleted, you'll likely have problems connecting to the various services offered by Google.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech