Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bigkevbosky
  • 1 Post By bigkevbosky
  • 1 Post By bigkevbosky
  • 2 Post By bigkevbosky
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hi. Bit of a difficult situation.

Hi. I'm in a bit of a predicament. I had my rooted Nexus 5 on Stock 4.4.2. Well I'm sure you guys know what comes next. I accidentally took the OTA update, and broke my phone. It still boots, but doesn't go into an animation or anything. I can get to TWRP and my bootloader. I've tried Google-ing and pushing roms with ADB side load, but that only ends up telling me that I cannot mount /system. At this point I don't care if I have to start new or whatever. I have all my pictures uploaded to my Google account. So if I have posted this in the wrong section I'm sorry. But if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

And yes. I searched.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Default Re: Hi. Bit of a difficult situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Fleming1 View Post
    Hi. I'm in a bit of a predicament. I had my rooted Nexus 5 on Stock 4.4.2. Well I'm sure you guys know what comes next. I accidentally took the OTA update, and broke my phone. It still boots, but doesn't go into an animation or anything. I can get to TWRP and my bootloader. I've tried Google-ing and pushing roms with ADB side load, but that only ends up telling me that I cannot mount /system. At this point I don't care if I have to start new or whatever. I have all my pictures uploaded to my Google account. So if I have posted this in the wrong section I'm sorry. But if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

And yes. I searched.

You can't mount at all?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope. Not at all. Can't even do it manually. When I press system to mount it, it just hangs there and doesn't select it.

Just go back to stock. Download the factory image for 4.4.3 and flash it. You don't have to mount /system, just have to be in bootloader.

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-53ff95bf.tgz
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Flash with ODIN?

Nah, no ODIN here.

Make sure you have the Nexus drivers installed and it sounds like you already have ADB.

Once you download the Nexus factory image, you'll have to use 7Zip or something to extract the files. Once you do, just double click the "flash-all.bat" file and it'll go through and put it back on stock.

Google made it extremely simple to get your Nexus back to stock when you get stuck like you are. I've never been able to brick a Nexus phone and I've done some DUMB stuff.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Alright. Downloading the stock image again as I'm on a different computer. And I just leave the phone like this when I press the flash command?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi. Bit of a difficult situation.-20140610_134222.jpg  

Yup. Just like that - then double click "flash-all.bat" and it'll flash the stock radio, system, recovery, etc.

Obviously you'll have USB connected to the computer.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I read somewhere else that I can edit the file to save my personal data. If I follow the steps there, should I still be good, or is it safe to just erase everything? Maybe try one and if it doesn't work try it with erasing everything?

You could, but that's dabbling in some more tricky territory. You might just want to wipe everything to get a clean start. It's a pain but it shouldn't be that long to get it back to where you had it. Couple hours of work at most. It's annoying but just make sure to do a nandroid backup next time so you can flash that if you get in trouble again.

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    You could, but that's dabbling in some more tricky territory. You might just want to wipe everything to get a clean start. It's a pain but it shouldn't be that long to get it back to where you had it. Couple hours of work at most. It's annoying but just make sure to do a nandroid backup next time so you can flash that if you get in trouble again.
    Good work!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks. Sorry it was such a easy question.

No problem, glad you got it worked out. Wasn't that easy of a question, I was in the same situation myself when I first had to flash a factory image. You never really know these things until you have to do them yourself, so no harm in asking for help.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Do I extract the software to the fastboot/adb directory? jk lol thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Fleming1 View Post

And yes. I searched.

Is there a good place to go for instructions on installing 4.4.3 on a rooted device (Nexus 4)? Or are the instructions below sufficient. Sounds like flash_all.bat will put the stock recovery back in, which I don't want (or do I?). In any case, I guess I should ignore the OTA that just showed up on my phone. I was burned installing the 4.2->4.3 OTA when rooted back then.

I guess I'd like to preserve root if possible. Though I only rooted recently, and then just in a vain attempt to recover some deleted photos. But if they make it really hard to get updates after rooting, maybe rooting for its own sake isn't such a good idea.

Rooting in itself won't stop you from getting updates, as long as you aren't messing with system files or anything. What really hurts OTAs is when you flash a custom recovery. You can achieve root on a completely stock device as long as the bootloader is unlocked. You just have to boot into a custom recovery one time to flash SuperSU.

You can easily update to 4.4.3 if you have root and a custom recovery - just flash a zip. I'm sure someone has made a flashable zip of the update over on XDA. Just check the Nexus 4 forums.