Stock Android L Preview with CWM recovery

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I had my Nexus5 rooted with towelroot, CWM recovery when I decided to flash the L Preview zip. I assumed that the recovery would be replaced with the new L recovery, but I still have CWM. Bootloader is locked and root checker verifies that I am not rooted. Can I flash back to a stock 4.4.4 rom or do I need to unlock the bootloader? Not sure if I could with CWM since I'm not rooted. L is fairly stable, but I'm going on vacation soon and would like to be able to tether.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had my Nexus5 rooted with towelroot, CWM recovery when I decided to flash the L Preview zip. I assumed that the recovery would be replaced with the new L recovery, but I still have CWM. Bootloader is locked and root checker verifies that I am not rooted. Can I flash back to a stock 4.4.4 rom or do I need to unlock the bootloader? Not sure if I could with CWM since I'm not rooted. L is fairly stable, but I'm going on vacation soon and would like to be able to tether.
Flash a new ROM or restore a backup through CWM Recovery to revert back. You should still be rooted - having a locked Bootloader as a result of flashing L Preview is something new that I didn't know happened.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Flash a new ROM or restore a backup through CWM Recovery to revert back. You should still be rooted - having a locked Bootloader as a result of flashing L Preview is something new that I didn't know happened.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Will it work? Root checker tells me that I'm not rooted and I can't get SuperSU to install/update the binaries. I used an app to unlock the bootloader so that may be why it re-locked. Would it better for me to just unlock the bootloader and flash stock 4.4.4?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. If possible, do so manually via fastboot. Remember that unlocking will delete your data, so backup first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Bushkesh

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Will it work? Root checker tells me that I'm not rooted and I can't get SuperSU to install/update the binaries. I used an app to unlock the bootloader so that may be why it re-locked. Would it better for me to just unlock the bootloader and flash stock 4.4.4?

You have to flash the compatible version of SuperSU to work with android L. Its not rooted by default.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaron Webster

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Is Android L stable and fully functional on Nexus 5? Do you think it's worth it to give it a try, or better wait?
I have been running Android L for about 2 weeks now and I love it, I have not had any troubles with it and I have found that the battery saver mode is amazing and truly does keep my nexus 5 going much longer than if it were disabled. I am very impressed, though other than some minor layout changes all of the updates in android L appear to be under the hood.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So, I finally decided to update my Nexus this weekend with the Lollipop Preview. Turns out that my bootloader was unlocked. I was about to unlock it and when I got into fastboot it showed as unlocked. It was very simple to flash the new image and it is running great. Just thought I'd update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz