Enjoying CyanogenMod

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
After some problems getting things working I've been using cyanogen for a week now, first time I've try anything other than stock in android.

Basically what I'm thinking now is why isn't all this stuff standard? It's pretty darn good.

-Privacy guard is probably at the top of my list of likes, but haven't really found any offenders except for twitter.
-More complex security pattern is sweet.
-Quick toggles in the pull down menu are much more sane, and pulling down on the right works like it does on the tablet.

TWRP and being able to make a proper backup of the phone is pretty great as well.

Knock on wood I haven't encountered any problems yet but I sort of expect not to coming in at this late stage with milestone 9.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree that things like nandroid backups should be standard. The toggles and security patterns are the same on Slim and SOKP :D

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! Glad you like it. I have not used CM on my Nexus 5 (have on previous devices) and have been looking at it recently to give it a go.

And I agree, there are a lot of features that should come standard. You'll find some sort of version other devices, but not necessarily the same. That's what I like about Android and it's openness: having the ability to install another ROM that has features you want and don't necessarily get out of the box.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
All I noticed was the alarm one time only bug in M9, but everything seems great in M10. On the Nexus 5 that is, the Nexus 7 seems a bit Crash for apps.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
If you ever want something different, try Paranoid Android. I used to love CyanogenMod until I discovered PA.

The dynamic system bars look pretty cool too.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Is CM official for nexus 5 with OTA updates? Then I'm sold.

Posted via the Android Central App

It is and the updates work fairly slick similar to stock updates.

Unlike carrier phones updates these will count against your data so keep that in mind, look for WiFi as they are a couple hundred Mb.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
what happens when 5.0 is out though...how long for CM to adapt?
It's hard today since developers will need to look at how much time is needed to build their features into the next version of Android. We might see unofficial alpha builds released soon after. Public releases could be weeks or months following full availability of L Code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2