5.0 to 5.0.1 OTA update failed, can't retry?

SeTec7

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

After my Nexus 5 updated via OTA to 5.0, I rooted it following the directions I can't post because I can't post links...
Anyway, all has been well after rooting 5.0. Until today, when I got the 5.0.1 OTA update. I told the phone to reboot to apply the update, and it booted into TWRP for some reason. I told TWRP to reboot, and now my phone still says its 5.0 in the "About Phone" menu, but also says I'm up to date via the "System Update" menu.

Did I bork my upgrade somehow? Is there anything I can do to trigger another OTA, or do I have to update via USB now?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the first things an update does is check for signs of root. If the phone is, or has been, rooted, the update fails (it doesn't actually fail, it just aborts), because there are things you can do in a rooted phone that would make an update brick the phone.

You can't try again, because you can't do more than one update every 24 hours (to keep congestion down).

Either unroot the phone, or reflash the stock ROM, and try updating again. (If you update to a ROM earlier than 5.0, you'll get one update to 5.0, then the next day an update to 5.0.1. Or more than 2 updates, depending on how old the stock ROM is. 4.3 will probably update 4 times to get to 5.0.1.)

You can force the update, if you don't get the notice (but only after 24 hours - before that you'll get "your phone is up to date") in Settings/General/About device - it's the first item (or was in 4.4.2, which is where I'm staying for a while - but it should be in Settings somewhere if they moved it.)

SeTec7

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, that's odd because I'm fairly certain I've upgraded this phone via OTA and it's been rooted since I got it. When I upgraded from 4.x to 5.0, I had no problems, but it did un-root me.

An hour or two after I posted, my phone offered the OTA update again, so I used SuperSU's "Fully unroot me" function, and tried installing the OTA again, and after it rebooted, I ended up at TWRP.

I have a feeling that I did something wrong when rooting 5.0, but I'm not sure what, or what I can do. I'd like to avoid any steps that involve wiping the phone, if at all possible.

SeTec7

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm still stuck on this. I went and re-flashed my phone kernel to 5.0 stock, and I'm still having the problem that when I reboot to apply the 5.0.1 update, it boots me into TWRP.

I really have no idea why this is happening and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I'm running stock 5.0, unlocked, and unrooted at this point.

SeTec7

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
As a follow up for anyone who finds this later, this turned out to be because the root process for 5.0 changed some system files, and OTA 5.0 and greater updates will fail, and TWRP can't handle them.
You either have to manually update by flashing everything by hand, or restore the stock recovery, system, and cache images.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As a follow up for anyone who finds this later, this turned out to be because the root process for 5.0 changed some system files, and OTA 5.0 and greater updates will fail, and TWRP can't handle them.
You either have to manually update by flashing everything by hand, or restore the stock recovery, system, and cache images.
This.

Also, to add to this for anyone having this same issue and want to update manually from 5.0 to 5.0.1, download the 5.0.1 factory image and flash the system.img via fastboot. No need to restore the recovery prior to updating if done manually.

To re-root, simply flash the latest SuperSU via Recovery and you'll be good to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm