Quick Look at the Huawei Mate 8, Rumored Basis of the Huawei Nexus (Video and Pics)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
it'll be interesting to see if they use the same 6" display or trim it down. I wouldn't be shocked to see the larger display being how Nexus is expected to become more prevalent in Asia. With those paper thin bezels that might not be a bad thing, but I hope they use at least a 4000 mAh battery.

it would make sense if the rumored 5.2" LG Nexus exists to accommodate people that passed on the Nexus 6, although I'm not totally convinced there's gonna be 2 Nexus phones. And if there is, I wouldn't be shocked if the LG model was 5.5".

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
it'll be interesting to see if they use the same 6" display or trim it down. I wouldn't be shocked to see the larger display being how Nexus is expected to become more prevalent in Asia. With those paper thin bezels that might not be a bad thing, but I hope they use at least a 4000 mAh battery.

it would make sense if the rumored 5.2" LG Nexus exists to accommodate people that passed on the Nexus 6, although I'm not totally convinced there's gonna be 2 Nexus phones. And if there is, I wouldn't be shocked if the LG model was 5.5".

Who knows, you may be right. The word is that the supposed LG Nexus is based on an unnamed prototype, and not the G4. For all we know, maybe it's the G4 Pro, which would mean an LG phablet, with Huawei making the smaller variant, since they favor 1080P screens on their devices. Then again, word is that this Mate 8 phone will have a 4,100 mAh battery -- BIG check.

Google may want to use LG's Quantum IPS display, which would mean 5.5". If they're gonna surprise us, make it have a big battery and front speakers.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Who knows, you may be right. The word is that the supposed LG Nexus is based on an unnamed prototype, and not the G4. For all we know, maybe it's the G4 Pro, which would mean an LG phablet, with Huawei making the smaller variant, since they favor 1080P screens on their devices. Then again, word is that this Mate 8 phone will have a 4,100 mAh battery -- BIG check.

Google may want to use LG's Quantum IPS display, which would mean 5.5". If they're gonna surprise us, make it have a big battery and front speakers.

a Nexus with a 4100 battery would be a dream come true .... I honestly wouldn't care about any other features, I'd buy it no matter what. charge me whatever you want, I'd be first in line!!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
a Nexus with a 4100 battery would be a dream come true .... I honestly wouldn't care about any other features, I'd buy it no matter what. charge me whatever you want, I'd be first in line!!

I totally agree.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I don't think LG has or would ever do front speakers, they've been about minimal bezels, and front speakers would interfere with that. Although given how HTC, Sony, AND Moto have now adopted them, they may just have to figure out how to do it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree.

what are your expectations for Doze? if Android can get on par with Apple as far as optimizing battery management, specifically idle drain, the 3000 mAh battery size we've been seeing a lot of lately would suddenly make a lot more sense.

my only issue is we've heard this from Google for years now, and the only difference is they just rename their project and reassign a different group of engineers to attempt to conquer the elusive task.

If they deliver even half of what they promise for Doze, the impact on battery life will be significant. I'm cautiously optimistic, and I'd be more surprised to see it succeed then not at this point, but it could definitely be a game changer, especially when combined with quick charge.

and I know it's subjective, but I'm surprised at how many people consider 3-4 hours SOT to be great. I want a full day of heavy usage without having to worry about charging my phone. and I don't want to have to disable half the features I'm paying for just to get 5 hours SOT.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What do you think they'll call the new Nexus line, Nexus 7 and Nexus 7 plus?

I doubt they'll go Nexus 7 since it's been used before. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a different approach though since they're out of numbers, kinda like what Moto just did with the Play and Style.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
what are your expectations for Doze? if Android can get on par with Apple as far as optimizing battery management, specifically idle drain, the 3000 mAh battery size we've been seeing a lot of lately would suddenly make a lot more sense.

my only issue is we've heard this from Google for years now, and the only difference is they just rename their project and reassign a different group of engineers to attempt to conquer the elusive task.

If they deliver even half of what they promise for Doze, the impact on battery life will be significant. I'm cautiously optimistic, and I'd be more surprised to see it succeed then not at this point, but it could definitely be a game changer, especially when combined with quick charge.

and I know it's subjective, but I'm surprised at how many people consider 3-4 hours SOT to be great. I want a full day of heavy usage without having to worry about charging my phone. and I don't want to have to disable half the features I'm paying for just to get 5 hours SOT.

3-4 hours SOT doesn't cut it for me, either. I'm not a particularly heavy user myself; I'd say light to moderate on most days. Even so, I don't want to feel like I have to baby sit or tweak a phone just to achieve a decent 5 hours SOT.

The one thing about Doze I find odd is if a phone in a state of Doze is moved even slightly, Dozed apps become active again, if I remember the explanation correctly from I/O. What if someone only nudges their phone by accident while on a desk, does that mean they have to worry every time about not touching it in order to save battery? I think there should just be a toggle to freeze an app, this way, whether you use it or not, you control when it's active.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
3-4 hours SOT doesn't cut it for me, either. I'm not a particularly heavy user myself; I'd say light to moderate on most days. Even so, I don't want to feel like I have to baby sit or tweak a phone just to achieve a decent 5 hours SOT.

The one thing about Doze I find odd is if a phone in a state of Doze is moved even slightly, Dozed apps become active again, if I remember the explanation correctly from I/O. What if someone only nudges their phone by accident while on a desk, does that mean they have to worry every time about not touching it in order to save battery? I think there should just be a toggle to freeze an app, this way, whether you use it or not, you control when it's active.

I was a little skeptical about Hauwei making a Nexus phone, in fact, if you dig through my posts I've probably used the word disappointed. That said, after the leaked video of the supposed Mate 8 the other day, I've been reading a lot about the company, and definitely had a change of heart.

It looks like Hauwei makes a decent fingerprint scanner and good enough camera, but what grabbed my attention was that 4100 mAh battery. Now that's with a 6" display, so I'm sure they'll have to scale it back a bit if the 5.7" rumor is accurate.

Hopefully we'll be able to use it on VZ again, cause unless the 5.2" LG version really impresses me, I'll probably grab the Hauwei version.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I was a little skeptical about Hauwei making a Nexus phone, in fact, if you dig through my posts I've probably used the word disappointed. That said, after the leaked video of the supposed Mate 8 the other day, I've been reading a lot about the company, and definitely had a change of heart.

It looks like Hauwei makes a decent fingerprint scanner and good enough camera, but what grabbed my attention was that 4100 mAh battery. Now that's with a 6" display, so I'm sure they'll have to scale it back a bit if the 5.7" rumor is accurate.

Hopefully we'll be able to use it on VZ again, cause unless the 5.2" LG version really impresses me, I'll probably grab the Hauwei version.

The rumor is a 3,500 mAh battery in the Huawei Nexus. With the Doze feature that should be enough, but again, battery isn't something that Google should skimp or compromise on. I think they should let Huawei do its thing with that and put a 4,000 mAh battery in it.
Unless they're making use of the SD 820 or the Kirin 950 processor.they can afford to give people that peace of mind.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The rumor is a 3,500 mAh battery in the Huawei Nexus. With the Doze feature that should be enough, but again, battery isn't something that Google should skimp or compromise on. I think they should let Huawei do its thing with that and put a 4,000 mAh battery in it.
Unless they're making use of the SD 820 or the Kirin 950 processor.they can afford to give people that peace of mind.

the only issue with the 4000 battery is the Nexus is supposed to be 5.7" and that 4100 they used on the Mate 7 was on a 6" device, so there might be an issue fitting it. hopefully they'll find a way and Google will support it, but with what we've seen in 2015 I definitely have some skepticism. anything less than 3500 will be a huge disappointment.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
the only issue with the 4000 battery is the Nexus is supposed to be 5.7" and that 4100 they used on the Mate 7 was on a 6" device, so there might be an issue fitting it. hopefully they'll find a way and Google will support it, but with what we've seen in 2015 I definitely have some skepticism. anything less than 3500 will be a huge disappointment.

I agree, it would be a huge disappointment, especially considering Moto managed to fit a 3,630 mAh battery in a 5.5" device.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree, it would be a huge disappointment, especially considering Moto managed to fit a 3,630 mAh battery in a 5.5" device.

...and that the Huawei Honor 6 plus has a similar screen size/ battery size.
Until now the not-always-accurate evleaks has been the only source of the 5.7” display rumor (as far as I know), so I still had hope of the larger screen/battery combo. This however has put a MAJOR damper in the hope of something awesome.
We'll see though. I suppose a 3600+ battery and nice bright Samsung display is really not something to complain about.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
...and that the Huawei Honor 6 plus has a similar screen size/ battery size.
Until now the not-always-accurate evleaks has been the only source of the 5.7” display rumor (as far as I know), so I still had hope of the larger screen/battery combo. This however has put a MAJOR damper in the hope of something awesome.
We'll see though. I suppose a 3600+ battery and nice bright Samsung display is really not something to complain about.

yeah @evleaks has had his fair share of inaccurate rumors (I still haven't gotten over the M9) but he's obviously still a reliable source.

Personally, I'd rather see a 5.7" display with a 3600 battery than 6" 4100 ... I'd still be on the Play Store the second it launched though!!

One important thing to realize is that Google is teaming up with Hauwei so they can expand their presence in China. Unlike the US, they don't tolerate smaller batteries, and Hauwei is known for large displays and large batteries. Anything less than 3600 mAh would fall way short of the competition, and Google is smart enough to realize that (at least I hope so).

Last edited:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
yeah @evleaks has had his fair share of inaccurate rumors (I still haven't gotten over the M9) but he's obviously still a reliable source.

Personally, I'd rather see a 5.7" display with a 3600 battery than 6" 4100 ... I'd still be on the Play Store the second it launched though!!

One important thing to realize is that Google is teaming up with Hauwei so they can expand their presence in China. Unlike the US, they don't tolerate smaller batteries, and Hauwei is known for large displays and large batteries. Anything less than 3600 mAh would fall way short of the competition, and Google is smart enough to realize that (at least I hope so).

Google (I would hope) has to be aware of Huawei's penchant for using big batteries in their phablets. They should be aware that battery size is a major selling point. I have to wonder in which areas Google feels we should compromise. It's obvious to me that they feel the LG Nexus will be the better selling phone, and that the Huawei would be a niche buy.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Google (I would hope) has to be aware of Huawei's penchant for using big batteries in their phablets. They should be aware that battery size is a major selling point. I have to wonder in which areas Google feels we should compromise. It's obvious to me that they feel the LG Nexus will be the better selling phone, and that the Huawei would be a niche buy.

It's always possible that the Huawei device will be China-only, when you get right down to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude