USB C rant

1adam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've upgraded my many home and office chargers to wireless for my 2013 Nexus 5. It's a bonus that other devices like my Kindle, portable power bank, girlfriend's phone and tablet use micro USB as well so I'm never caught out.

So now Google shares the "great news" that the non-wireless Nexus 5X has "reversible" USB-C connections. When do you ever not have one end plugged into the AC adapter by the way?!

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
By reversible I think they mean you can plug it in to your phone the wrong way or anyway you want. The other side can still be standard USB and you can continue to use standard chargers with a simple cable upgrade. But yeah, you will need to buy an extra cable or 3.

Anyone make a wireless charging phone case? That would be a neat invention for those who cannot live without it.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I've upgraded my many home and office chargers to wireless for my 2013 Nexus 5. It's a bonus that other devices like my Kindle, portable power bank, girlfriend's phone and tablet use micro USB as well so I'm never caught out.

So now Google shares the "great news" that the non-wireless Nexus 5X has "reversible" USB-C connections. When do you ever not have one end plugged into the AC adapter by the way?!

I don't think you understand what reversible means. It's like Apple's lightning cable, you can put the end of the cable into the phone in whatever orientation you want, you don't have to worry about what side is up like you do with MicroUSB.

I welcome the change to USB Type-C mainly because I like not having to worry about what end is up when I plug in my phone. And as others have stated, USB Type-C is the future, might as well start in that direction somewhere.

As for wireless charging, that's more subjective. I don't have a need or desire to use it, but I can understand why people are frustrated that it isn't included in the nexus phones. Here's why: Google's Hiroshi Lockheimer Explains In Reddit AMA Why The New Nexus Phones Lack Wireless Charging I know that doesn't help you out, but you can know why they went this route. plus they could shave a few $$ off the cost of the phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
At some point there will be a major shift by all OEMs to USB Type-C. I, along with many others, will agree that it sucks to be setup with chargers that will not work with the new Nexus'. But if you want to have leading software and hardware, then expect to have these types of "shortcomings" come up.

The Reddit AMA referenced above answers a lot of questions and provides good insight as to the though process behind these phones.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I delayed because of the loss of wireless charging. Then I quit wireless charging because it generated heat and I don't like heat in my electrical devices. I started charging my phone at night. When I went to bed I plugged it in and when I got up to visit the bathroom--old guy--I unplugged it. It got to be a habit.

I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, and new stuff isn't readily available. I ordered my Nexus 5x off Amazon and it came with a charging plug for the United Arab Emirates. Finding an adapter was a major hassle. Office Deport had no cables with USB-C and then I saw the sold stuff for Apples. They had a USB 3.1 to USB-C male adapter. Since it was Apple its price is what the Pentagon would expect to pay. I also bought a USB 3.1 to USB 3.1 cable.

Now, when I go to bed, plugging my phone in is much easier. I can even do it in the dark. And, it doesn't feel like I'm going to demolish the plug. The USB micro always made me nervous.

The charging plug that came with the Nexus 5x travels away from home with me so I can rapid charge if I need to.

I've also ordered some simple adapter plugs USB micro to USB-C to use with my car charger and older charging plugs. I will keep my Kindle cables but the others will go to friends with USB micro phones.

My nephew got my Nexus 5 and the wireless charging pad. He's excited.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, and new stuff isn't readily available. I ordered my Nexus 5x off Amazon and it came with a charging plug for the United Arab Emirates. Finding an adapter was a major hassle. Office Deport had no cables with USB-C and then I saw the sold stuff for Apples. They had a USB 3.1 to USB-C male adapter. Since it was Apple it price is what the Pentagon would expect to pay. I also bought a USB 3.1 to USB 3.1 cable.

I have nothing to add... but I just really like saying Oaxaca...

Oaxaca! :)

(USB-C is awesome, these phones haven't even touched all the cool stuff about it yet).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, USB-C has the same failing as micro-USB - it's not meant for plugging and unplugging a cable twice a day for a year. The old IBM 6 pin mini-DIN was sturdier, and it was a piece of tissue paper. I'd like to see someone design a connector that can take it and release the design to the public domain.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It is short. I've ordered a couple of longer ones from Amazon. I've also ordered some USB micro to USB C adapters so cables that charge my Kindle can also charge my Nexus 5x. The adapters will be on my desktop cable for charging and my car charger. In the bedroom, where I often charge both a Kindle and a phone at night I'll have two cables.