Can anyone give an opinion on the Nexus devices?

clouds0222

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I am considering going to the Nexus 5X for the pure android experience, from an iPhone. Can anyone vouch if the Nexus devices are as good as I've read they are? I've used a Galaxy device in the past, but that is my extent with android devices....opinions? Thanks!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If you are used to an iPhone, then the pure android experience on a Nexus is as good as android gets and will be the easiest transition from an iPhone.

Don't let the Galaxy experience turn you away from Android.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The only thing I ever buy is Nexus devices. Pick the one with the features that suit your needs the best and you won't go wrong.

Just my opinion, but plain vanilla Android plus Nova Launcher and a few apps of your choice - email client, file manager, browser, etc - is pretty tough to beat.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Nexus devices are a lot like iPhones in the sense that they're not carrier branded and bypass the carriers when it comes to updates. That may not seem like a big deal at first glance, but it most certainly is. It makes the software experience that much better and allows for quicker access to security updates, too.

The phones themselves are generally inexpensive, they offer multiple screen sizes, have some of the best hardware available, and are unlocked for any carrier. If you want the best of what Android offers, the Nexus line is it.

Posted via the Android Central App

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I prefer Nexus devices over other Android devices (e.g. Samsung, HTC, etc.) is that the Nexus devices get the quickest and latest software updates from Google. And this is important to me, not only for security updates, but the updates that bring in new features. I'm a tech enthusiast and always love to have the latest software (and hardware) running on my phone, computers, etc. The iPhone and Nexus have a lot in common when it comes to the speed of updates directly from Apple and Google, respectively. Other than updates, Nexus devices are typically phones that showcase what Google really wants Android to be. They don't add in gimmicky features like other OEMs (e.g. LG, Samsung) but just show off what is capable with Android as a whole.

I know there's a lot of people out there that couldn't care less about software updates as long as their phone does what they need it to do. But for me, and many people on this forum, getting the latest and greatest OS update on their devices is very important and that's why they go with a Nexus device. Right now, that latest OS update is Android M (Marshmallow) and us enthusiasts are clamoring at a chance to have it installed on our phones. I know it'll probably be another 3-4 months that my Galaxy S6 gets the M update. And at that time, it'll still be running Samsung's and Verizon's bloat and messy software "enhancements" that I don't care to have and don't add to the user experience. Thus why I've always been a Nexus fan.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Why are you considering the switch? What kind of experience do you seek?

iOS is quite different from Android....if you are game to try something new and enjoy the process (of learning something new), you'll have fun. If you are easily confused or frustrated by new technology, it might take a while before you have fun.

As you have probably researched, Android offers a lot of options and customizations. If this is what you seek, then you will enjoy vanilla Android. If instead you don't want to tinker, tweak, and finesse your phone to make it uniquely yours, stick with iOS.

clouds0222

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! They are also a lot more affordable. A 32G, Nexus 5X is showing to be $429, before taxes and shipping.....I may just have to give it a try!

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone! They are also a lot more affordable. A 32G, Nexus 5X is showing to be $429, before taxes and shipping.....I may just have to give it a try!

Definitely give it a go and give it a full, fair tryout too. I think the return period is 14 days, at least give it a good 10 days if the first few days seem frustrating. There is a bit of a difference between Android and iOS and IMO, sometimes the learning curve is a little more steep on an Android device. Don't hesitate to ask questions here on AC and using Google to answer some questions can help too! Good luck. I'm a huge fan of iOS and Android, so I like to see when people try both and potentially end up liking both. I have a Galaxy S6 and have a 5x and 6p on their way. I'll only keep one and sell my S6. And I may pick up an iPhone 6s with the $300 trade in credit Verizon is having right now (I always trade in a $20 cheap smartphone from Walmart/Target to get the tradein credit ;) )

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone 6s to try out. I also just ordered a N5x and I'll be returning the iPhone. I actually bought the iPhone because I'm running away from "Skinned" units specifically the G4 which is quite sluggish at times plus wanted to try the new iPhone being 2gigs of ram and having force touch ect..I really do like the iPhone but I feel they just don't have the best software yet to compete with Android. Apple use to be different and fresh but Android has simply caught up and lapped them in the past couple of years imo. I'm finding myself thirsting for just one or two of the plethora of features that Android offers and well...they're just not there. Having a useful widget based on your lifestyle on the home screen or a messaging app that is just right for you is a big deal. And yeah I'll be putting 350 bucks back in my bank account too! Btw, I've never tried stock Android so I'm very excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Nexus Bobo... if you like riding the crest of the wave with the latest software for Android not to mention the purist iteration of it, you have arrived. Think of it as a stripped down hotrod of a phone with all the latest tech that makes it work and work well, without all the fluff or things added on to bog down the core experience.

clouds0222

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I ordered my Ice, 32GB Nexus 5X today! Gonna give a go! I received my iPhone 6s the other day, but I'm going to return it. I still have a 6 Plus from last year, and I can't tell a big difference between them really. Plus I think I got used to the bigger screen of the 6 Plus and the 4"7 screen is kind of cramped. I've always liked android, but had such laggy experiences with the Samsung devices that I have had, I have stayed away from android for awhile! I hope Nexus is a smoother experience!