Still no unread SMS counter in Marshmallow and 5x?

kitenski

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I've just got my 5X and want to try and keep everything stock. I've come from a Moto X running ActionLauncher.

Is it possible to get a widget on the homescreen which will tell me how many unread SMS messages I have? I can't believe this isn't the default position, unless I am missing something really obvious?

Tried messages and hangouts with no luck

Thanks,

Greg

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Try dashclock widget + dashclock chatter extension works well for me example below

1.png

you can also add whatsapp and other sms appsand email counter to it

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I love when people say that they prefer stock Android but then ask for some feature that only a few people want to be included in the OS.

And like he said, try dashclock.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Stock android just doesn't offer icon badges, and I'd think at this point if Google saw a need for them they would've added it by now.

You can use a third party launcher — most of the better known ones out there offer badges.

kitenski

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Stock android just doesn't offer icon badges, and I'd think at this point if Google saw a need for them they would've added it by now.

You can use a third party launcher — most of the better known ones out there offer badges.

Thanks but don't want to use a third party launcher.

Why do Google don't think they are not needed? Am I missing the point here? If I switch my phone on and have missed/unread SMS overnight, for example, I'd like to know how many etc.

Why do google not think this is necessary, what do others do?

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Because they're all up in the notification bar. It's redundant to have a text message notification (or 3) up in the notification bar AND have counters next to home screen icons. Makes no sense.

kitenski

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Because they're all up in the notification bar. It's redundant to have a text message notification (or 3) up in the notification bar AND have counters next to home screen icons. Makes no sense.

Thanks, perhaps I'll stick with it then and try just notification bar....

steenke12

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I think the android fanboism has overtaken Apple fanbois by a big margin now, of course it would be nice to see number of texts missed with a number above the icon. Instead of admitting google was lazy in not adding it, you just say its not needed.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the android fanboism has overtaken Apple fanbois by a big margin now, of course it would be nice to see number of texts missed with a number above the icon. Instead of admitting google was lazy in not adding it, you just say its not needed.
No, you're missing the point. Text message notifications are handled in the notification shade. Unlike IOS. So its redundant to also have a notification badge next to the app icon. That's the way Android chose to handle it from day one, and its worked out very well.

The other thing that's worked very well for Android is if you don't like the way something is handled by stock software, there's an app, extension or launcher to customize it to your liking. What more do you want? Want apples philosophy where you adapt to what they offer and like it or leave?

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

If you have unread texts and you go into your messaging app and exit without reading all the texts, the app icon in the notification bar goes away, even though there are still unread texts. So I can see in this instance, the use of having a counter somewhere showing that.

Personally, I wouldn't use it (I disabled badges when I had an iPhone) and as others have mentioned, beauty of android is being able to customize it.

boxodonuts

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Funny, people saying it would be redundant to have the unread message count badges, yet they are OK with the fact that FOREVER if you put a (readable) clock on your homescreen you end up with 2 clocks. There is no way to turn off the default clock in the upper right. All of these items, unread count on icons (badges - stupid name IMO), plus the ability to turn off the little clock, light vs dark theme in GNL etc etc, should all be customizable by the user in stock Android.

mportuesisf

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
All of these items, unread count on icons (badges - stupid name IMO), plus the ability to turn off the little clock, light vs dark theme in GNL etc etc, should all be customizable by the user in stock Android.

If Google added customization options for all this, the settings menus would be overly full and then we'd have people complaining about how complicated Android is and how they can't find the setting they're looking for. You're putting the designers in a can't-win situation.

And it is the responsibility of the designers to make a judgement call about what's configurable and what's not. Apple takes a very conservative stance - they've decided what they feel is right and allow you to change relatively little of the user experience, AND they tightly control efforts by third parties to offer customization solutions.

Google takes a more open approach - they offer more customization options in the OS, but they have (wisely) chosen not to cater explicitly to power-users because they have literally billions of users and Android has to be accessible to them all. What Google has done is made it easy for third party app developers to step in with customization options, available for download in the Play Store.

That's the ethos of Android. You can rail against it if you want, but ultimately that's not going to help you much to get your favorite customization. Just go download an app to do it. You'll be helping yourself as well as the Android ecosystem by doing so.

Alternatively, you could find an Android manufacturer (Samsung, HTC) that has skinned Android UX and added the customization options you prefer. Or you might be happier with the UX choices Apple has made, in which case an iPhone would be a better choice for you.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the need for an unread badge, but if you want it Nova Launcher Prime has the option.

skobola

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I agree with steenke12, fully. In addition, I believe that Google should have added it as an option, and let people opt as they like it. In addition, why to have to swipe up/down and go though a number of notifications instead of simply seeing it at the homepage, and be done, period. Steenke12, again, I support your comment. :(

anon(684254)

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who defends that we dont NEED unread counts is just defending the Google ecosystem. If I swipe the notification away I still should be able to see how many messages, messenger pings are pending.

It should atleast have the ability to do this in GEL.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It should atleast have the ability to do this in GEL.

It's been re-named to the Google Now Launcher, has been for a while now.

Also, I disagree that it should be an option in that launcher. That launcher is Google's launcher for Nexus devices, the vision of "pure Android". The pure Android experience doesn't include unread badges so it wouldn't be an option in Google's launcher. I agree that adding options for everything can make the settings unusually complex.

anon(684254)

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's been re-named to the Google Now Launcher, has been for a while now.

Also, I disagree that it should be an option in that launcher. That launcher is Google's launcher for Nexus devices, the vision of "pure Android". The pure Android experience doesn't include unread badges so it wouldn't be an option in Google's launcher. I agree that adding options for everything can make the settings unusually complex.

The whole argument of Pure Android is subjectiable. Was doze part of pure android experience two years ago? No.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The whole argument of Pure Android is subjectiable. Was doze part of pure android experience two years ago? No.

Look, I'm not saying the platform can't evolve. Doze is a back-end, invisible part of the OS that pretty much everyone had been clamoring for - maybe not by name, but EVERYONE wants better battery life. The people looking for unread badges are a SMALL part of the overall user base of Android. I guess Google could do it, but the bottom line s that it's not exactly needed. I actually prefer the way things are, no badge and I get a count of unread messages since I last opened the app when I pull down the notification shade.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
There are always three approaches developers can take:

1. Here is our default with a few options to change.
2. Here is our default with no options to change.
3. Here is our default with a few options to change, and we'll allow third-party developers to add more options.

There is no 4. Here is our default, and we will also include every single option that can make all of our users happy in every single circumstance.

It is not Android fanaticism to recognize #4 is impossible. With Android, for almost every option, you have #1 and #3. For iOS, you usually get #2, and you may get #1 and #3 occasionally. There is no #4. #4 doesn't exist.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63