Nexus 5x vs Samsung Galaxy S6 - why did you pick the 5x?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I also have a 32GB Moto X 2013 which has been my all time best phone. I saw the Friday sale and got the 32GB Nexus 5X. I was thinking about hte 6P but it just looks so big compared to the comfort of the Moto X. Hope I don't regret it.
I actually have the 6P now and am going to try out the 5X after seeing the sale. It has already shipped so I should be getting it within a few days. I like the 6P a lot. It's a great phone. But I really want to try a smaller phone again.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually have the 6P now and am going to try out the 5X after seeing the sale. It has already shipped so I should be getting it within a few days. I like the 6P a lot. It's a great phone. But I really want to try a smaller phone again.

Did you find the 6P too big? I bought the 5X on Friday and a good friend of mine ordered the 6P. I'm starting to worry that I should have have just gotten the 6P.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Did you find the 6P too big? I bought the 5X on Friday and a good friend of mine ordered the 6P. I'm starting to worry that I should have have just gotten the 6P.
No, not at all. I just wanted to try the smaller phone for a bit. That price was too good to pass up. My favorite phone of all time was the Nexus 5, so I figured I should try the successor.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site

I had a 6P. Fantastic phone but very tall, considerably taller than my Moto X 2015. I've now returned all for a 5X and absolutely love it. It is plastic but very well built indeed, or at least mine is.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
My S6 was laggy, full of junk software and had terrible reception especially for data. I had a replacement which was better but still not good.

I did like the hardware though, and the S6 Edge looked flash, even if the curve was mostly pointless.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a 6P. Fantastic phone but very tall, considerably taller than my Moto X 2015. I've now returned all for a 5X and absolutely love it. It is plastic but very well built indeed, or at least mine is.
I switched from a from a 6P to the 5X and I can honestly say the 5X will be going back and I'll be getting a 6P again. It isn't that there is anything wrong with the 5X, because there isn't. I've just grown so accustomed to using a larger phone that this thing feels tiny. My last few phones have been the Nexus 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 5, and Nexus 6P. I think I'm just needing the big phone back. I would absolutely recommend this phone to someone who wants a more manageable device. But for me, I think it's just a bit too small.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I switched from a from a 6P to the 5X and I can honestly say the 5X will be going back and I'll be getting a 6P again. It isn't that there is anything wrong with the 5X, because there isn't. I've just grown so accustomed to using a larger phone that this thing feels tiny. My last few phones have been the Nexus 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 5, and Nexus 6P. I think I'm just needing the big phone back. I would absolutely recommend this phone to someone who wants a more manageable device. But for me, I think it's just a bit too small.

I still miss my 6P a bit. Maybe I should just get both!

Posted from my Nexus 5X (w/Moto 360)

Doozer999

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone

I'm in the market for a new phone right now and was strongly considering the 6p but I'm put off slightly by the size of the device. That led me to consider the 5x

However, on paper (and from the limited info we have given the 5x's nascent state), the S6 looks like it's a much better deal than the 5x

-Display: QHD and from what I've heard better colours
-Performance: faster chip, +1gb ram and DDR4 vs DDR3 - awaiting benchmarks and speedtest comparisons for real-world measures
-Build quality: better construction, shorter, less wide and thinner. Also the s6 comes in gold <3
-Camera: 16mp f/1.9 vs 12.3mp f/2.0 + OIS - also awaiting real life comparisons

The 5x however has:
-"stock android experience" which MAY make it perform better
-quicker updates
-bigger battery - difficult to decipher - I've heard mixed things about both the s6 and the 5x so far in real life tests

The key thing is that (at least in the UK) you can buy the 32gb versions of the s6 for just £30 more:

5x - £350 - carphone waerhouse
s6 - £380 - amazon

Have Google priced themselves out with the 5x? What do you guys think about which phone offers the better experience and better value?

Well!!##?? How did you get on!? I have the exact same dilemma... S6...or 5X...

I have an N5, but am no geek. Just love it as it is "stripped" of any junk, is super slick, and...not a "follower" of any fashion...

Always been a bit disappointed by the N5 camera. I'm no photo pro...and never thought it was bad, just others seem 'better'. Will the 5X fill me with photo joy?

Benchmarks and quad-quo-pro processor malarky means little to me...I just want to make the odd call, WhatsApp, email, surf the net, take photos, play games and watch films (not all at once!)...will "anything" be better than my N5 (which is just fine...but hey, when the misses offers to buy you a new phone...who'd say 'no')!

So...I'd be interested in what you went for, why and what you think!

Cheers.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Well!!##?? How did you get on!? I have the exact same dilemma... S6...or 5X...

I have an N5, but am no geek. Just love it as it is "stripped" of any junk, is super slick, and...not a "follower" of any fashion...

Always been a bit disappointed by the N5 camera. I'm no photo pro...and never thought it was bad, just others seem 'better'. Will the 5X fill me with photo joy?

Benchmarks and quad-quo-pro processor malarky means little to me...I just want to make the odd call, WhatsApp, email, surf the net, take photos, play games and watch films (not all at once!)...will "anything" be better than my N5 (which is just fine...but hey, when the misses offers to buy you a new phone...who'd say 'no')!

So...I'd be interested in what you went for, why and what you think!

Cheers.

I had the same decision to make as you a while back, and 5 months on and I'm still using my 5X and still love it. Clean, simple, monthly updates, great camera and great battery standby time.

Your usage sounds like mine (except my Netflix app usage gets sent to the Chromecast). I'd say, if you use your phones in cases and you're not worried about premium feel, then go with the 5X. When N comes out in a few months you'll wish you had gone with the 5X I reckon.

Doozer999

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks psteve...your words help edge me towards a decision (having said that, I went to bed last night set on the S6, but woke wanting the 5X!?)...so...my mind is on a knife edge...but I hear you!

Interestingly though (relatively, and subjective though...;) ), is with my N5 I love it WITHOUT a case. So much effort is put into the look and feel of these material objects of ours...it seems odd to me to then stick a case on it - but I get the benefit from a protection POV. But then it's protection vs look/feel... That said, the S6 "feels" premium...except for that carbuncle on the back which is the camera. The 5X camera seems a little sleeker and not just stuck on.

So what does this mean... The S6 feels like a slimmer/narrower/sleeker and therefore 'nicer' physical 'thing', but I'd likely put a cover on it.

The 5X is s beauty too, in a different way, and a bit larger - BUT doesn't need a cover.

On that basis...they become what would seem "the same size".

I am repeatedly told that " size isn't everything" (#%@!!) so I'm not sure where this leads me...I'm just finding the opportunity to put my meandering thoughts down somewhat useful!

I agree...even though I'm not a geek (no disrespect to geeks!) it is nice being first in line for updates etc. Plus...as sn added bonus, I've found,when you are about to get "geezered" in a phone shop by some youf half my age...it is satisfying watching them back away when they ask you what phone you have and you say "an N5..."... they kinda walk away saying "ahh, you clearly know what you're talking about"... (Not necessarily true, but satisfying none the less).

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks psteve...your words help edge me towards a decision (having said that, I went to bed last night set on the S6, but woke wanting the 5X!?)...so...my mind is on a knife edge...but I hear you!

Interestingly though (relatively, and subjective though...;) ), is with my N5 I love it WITHOUT a case. So much effort is put into the look and feel of these material objects of ours...it seems odd to me to then stick a case on it - but I get the benefit from a protection POV. But then it's protection vs look/feel... That said, the S6 "feels" premium...except for that carbuncle on the back which is the camera. The 5X camera seems a little sleeker and not just stuck on.

So what does this mean... The S6 feels like a slimmer/narrower/sleeker and therefore 'nicer' physical 'thing', but I'd likely put a cover on it.

The 5X is s beauty too, in a different way, and a bit larger - BUT doesn't need a cover.

On that basis...they become what would seem "the same size".

I am repeatedly told that " size isn't everything" (#%@!!) so I'm not sure where this leads me...I'm just finding the opportunity to put my meandering thoughts down somewhat useful!

I agree...even though I'm not a geek (no disrespect to geeks!) it is nice being first in line for updates etc. Plus...as sn added bonus, I've found,when you are about to get "geezered" in a phone shop by some youf half my age...it is satisfying watching them back away when they ask you what phone you have and you say "an N5..."... they kinda walk away saying "ahh, you clearly know what you're talking about"... (Not necessarily true, but satisfying none the less).

If I were you making the decision right now I'd buy a second hand 5X then an S7 instead of an S6 when the price drops, which inevitably won't take long. I'm no Nexus fan boy but I decided that the 5X would be the better long term bet. When N hits your 5X will still be up to date, and an S7 with probably be at least £100/$100 cheaper by then. Decisions decisions!

I'm actually with you on cases. I have two Spigen cases which are excellent but I also have a carbon dbrand skin for times when I just want to use it as intended.

Yes I love going into Carphone Warehouse in the UK and doing the same. As soon as you mention you have a SIM free 5X they just pull a "sh*t, no sale here" face and walk away!

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
my wife and I went from nexus to s6. I'll never do another galaxy again. camera way better, but that's the only improvement. screen slightly better on s6, is samish to me. the extra resolution doesn't mean anything for real world use. speaker is better.

but slowdowns, UI, speed, crashes and soft resets sometimes. Just not the same experience. nexus's are cheaper too. Im sticking to pure android for the rest of my life.