Audio cutting out?

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else had an issue with audio cutting out while playing with the speaker or headphones? Occasionally when playing music (Google Play Music) or games, all sound will suddenly stop. Starting another sound source (advancing to next track, video ads in a game, sound from another app, etc..) seems to get it going again.

I haven't run into it with my Bluetooth headphones.

I'm curious if this is a hardware issue or OS. I didn't notice this happening in Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, so I'm leaning toward a hardware or driver problem..

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else had an issue with audio cutting out while playing with the speaker or headphones? Occasionally when playing music (Google Play Music) or games, all sound will suddenly stop. Starting another sound source (advancing to next track, video ads in a game, sound from another app, etc..) seems to get it going again.

I'm curious if this is a hardware issue or OS. I didn't notice this happening in Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, so I'm leaning toward a hardware or driver problem..

Does this also happen in safe mode? Perhaps another app is interrupting?

NovMike

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Nexus 5X. I get the issue on all audio-playing apps, i.e. YouTube, Google Music and Pocketcasts. If I pause and start playing again, it works for a few seconds and then stops. I also did not see this on my Nexus 5 with Marshmallow

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed this on my 5x but noticed while streaming google music occasionally I would get audio skips in the same locations where I used to use my Moto X with no issues. Might be a buffering issue though.

John Whipple

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
5X here, but pausing or switching apps doesn't fix it. Unplugging headphones *does* fix it, as does adjusting alarm volume in settings (where it invokes a chime) but not from the handy new, uh, shade adjuster (where it doesn't) so it's certainly a software issue.

I've only had the problem with the headphone out. It never cuts out before a couple minutes, but never seems to make it past five or so before failing.

Adam Renak

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here - Nexus 5X.

Audio seems to cut out after a few seconds of playback. Doesn't seem to happen all the time but it picks its moments.

Haven't tried with headphones but the problem occurs using the phone's built-in speakers.

Most noticeable with Google Now - if it tries to read something out, it only manages the last few words.

John Whipple

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
As per this reddit post:
(sorry, can't post links) /r/nexus5x/comments/3r5aig/possible_fix_for_audio_cutting_out/
I toggled: Settings>Google>Search & Now>Voice>"Ok Google" detection>Always on
to OFF and then back ON, rebooted, and the audio has been solid since.

HTH.

Lazy Tango

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
As per this reddit post:
(sorry, can't post links) /r/nexus5x/comments/3r5aig/possible_fix_for_audio_cutting_out/
I toggled: Settings>Google>Search & Now>Voice>"Ok Google" detection>Always on
to OFF and then back ON, rebooted, and the audio has been solid since.

HTH.

I really, really don't want to jinx it, but this worked for me. Thank you, sir.

Megan Pritchard1

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm having major issues with playing google music while trying to do ANYTHING else (facebook, email, browse) causing the music to skip, stop, cut out constantly, etc. Then the other task doesn't load, then the whole phone locks up, goes blank for a good several minutes. I'm not doing anything crazy here and my previous Nexus 6 NEVER had any of these issues. I'm really ready to return it.

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Twice this week, I had to commute downtown, which is when I use my corded headset instead of my bluetooth one (I switch to airplane mode when the Metro goes underground to save battery). I didn't have any problem with the audio cutting out either time. I'm not sure what's changed since the last time. I did reboot once over the weekend because I started seeing performance issues, like when I'd see many processes restarting on Lollipop. The app section in settings no longer shows that info, tho, so I don't know if that was what was going on.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems to be affecting several users. There's a thread on the 5x XDA forums too. I think for me it's been happening since the MDB08L update. I just turned off Google Now 'Always On' and my podcast is playing fine (so far, lol). Not ideal because I do use OK Google, but continuous audio playback is way more important to me. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I use Nova Launcher and switched off Google Now 'Always On' in the phone settings, but left it enabled in Nova Settings 'Gestures and Inputs'. I can still say 'OK Google' on any screen and so far the audio is playing without stopping every minute or so. Will also post this in the XDA forum so please excuse me for repeating it - I know some people get stressed when they see the same post elsewhere, lol.

karthik ch1

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Same problem here On my nexus 6p! Audio cuts out randomly while listening to music Or while gaming with headphones on. Not sure if this is happens with no headphones.
Hope google notices this soon enough.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I posted a possible solution in messages #13 and #14. I can confirm after several hours the audio on my phone no longer keeps cutting out.

roop27

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here with 5x. I hear a little pop every time the sound cuts out. Facebook YouTube and Spotify are all affected.

Posted via the Android Central App

hedphurst

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Disabling "Ok Google" detection everywhere didn't fix the problem for me, but it got me looking in the right place. I restored version 5.8.58.19 of the Google App from a Titanium backup I had, and early results are good. No more random pauses every 3-4 minutes since I downgraded the app and rebooted. I'm running OZOP ROM (TouchWiz) v12 on my Samsung Galaxy S6 (TMo branded), and had been having the issue in every music app I tried, including Play Music, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, and PocketCasts. After rolling back to the older Google App, I streamed a few songs in SoundCloud over Bluetooth without any skips or pauses.

Edit: It seems that the Ok Google Everywhere detection still needs to be disabled to fix the audio issue with Google v5.8.58.19. I think I might try digging around for an older version of the app to see which update started causing the problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463