Ambient Display never works...

anon(9690742)

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I have it turned on and I've seen it all of 3 times in my 5 days with this phone.

What am I doing wrong? Isn't it just supposed to pop up anytime I get a notification/text etc?

What gives?

IamMark70

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It did not work for me either, which I found extremely frustrating coming from a Moto X. Its supposed to come on whenever you get a notification or touch the phone. Mine would sometimes come on when I got a notification, but it would never come on when I touched it, picked it up, moved it around, shook it, nothing.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine works 100% of the time, and I bet yours does too. It just doesn't work anything like they said it would. If the phone is laying flat, picking it up and flipping it vertical(portrait or landscape) will activate the ambient display. It also breathes by itself when a notification is received.

anon(9690742)

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine works 100% of the time, and I bet yours does too. It just doesn't work anything like they said it would. If the phone is laying flat, picking it up and flipping it vertical(portrait or landscape) will activate the ambient display. It also breathes by itself when a notification is received.

No dice.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

My experience is the same.

I have to give the gyro about a 90 degree change (left to right or top to bottom) to trigger ambient display. Otherwise, it breathes on its own when a new notification comes in.

anon(9690742)

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: called Google about this, we put it into safe mode only to see that a notification of any kind doesn't wake the Ambient Display either, and homeboy on the other end immediately issued me a replacement phone that will be here a few days. We'll see if that fixes it.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: called Google about this, we put it into safe mode only to see that a notification of any kind doesn't wake the Ambient Display either, and homeboy on the other end immediately issued me a replacement phone that will be here a few days. We'll see if that fixes it.

What was it that he noticed exactly?
And what number are you calling Google?

bujin

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Mine was sketchy, so I just turned it off. I figured that pushing the side button wasn't the worst thing ever.

enc4real

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
A JIGGLE DOES IT. While your phone is laying down, just give it a little shimmy!!!!! :):):):)

Loving it already. Now to see if we can extend the delay!!! Hmm...

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
god, this is going to be horrible for me, isn't it? :p

I'm coming from Moto X 2014. 5x should arrive today.

Notifications come in and your screen pulses with the info. If you want to activate the screen on your own you need to move it from laying flat to upright. Will this work for you?

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm also coming from a motox 2014. the Amb display works well for me, although I was really used to just doing the waive to see notifications. Overall just a slight adjustment for me, and I'm used to it now.

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Notifications come in and your screen pulses with the info. If you want to activate the screen on your own you need to move it from laying flat to upright. Will this work for you?
I don't know. We will see what I'm willing to put up with. It's really nice being able to just wave my hand over the screen and Active Display goes WHADDUP?

It's terrible. Coming from a Moto X 2014 as well. I'm giving it every last opportunity, but its doesn't suffice..
Urgh. I've been reading a lot of the threads in here and I'm trying not to let it color my opinion too much just yet. The positive is that my SO is actually considering the phone as well. He's been glued to his Moto X 2013 because of all the massive phone sizes recently.