Who's seeing lag? Should I keep from buying

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It's been about 50/50 from the reviews I've read and watched saying that the 5x is either buttery smooth or gets hanged up doing some tasks... I wanna know just how many of you are actually experiencing this or not.. It's keeping me from pulling the trigger on this phone

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
In the two weeks I've used the 5X, it's been fantastic. On one day only, I had issues with stutter and lag, but it resolved itself very quickly. The 5X has performed very well, and I have no complaints so far.

Markolc

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
It's probably due to Android 6 not being fully baked yet. My Nexus 5 (2013) does surprisingly well and only has the slightest hiccup. However I can see it taking longer and longer to render web pages. The N5x has much better specs, it should blow it away once M6 gets a couple .1 updates.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The only lag I see is in the camera app and sometimes in certain scrolling situations. Otherwise no issues and to be fair the camera app has hiccups on the 6P as well although not as many which leads me to believe it's a fixable software issue. Honestly I think most of the complaints of lag are from people who are also using a 6P which I believe Huawei did a better job optimizing for Marshmallow. Give LG one round of software updates and I am sure there will be nothing to worry about.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my 5X intensely for business since receiving it one week ago - I have not experienced any lag whatsoever.

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It's probably due to Android 6 not being fully baked yet. My Nexus 5 (2013) does surprisingly well and only has the slightest hiccup. However I can see it taking longer and longer to render web pages. The N5x has much better specs, it should blow it away once M6 gets a couple .1 updates.

I also think it is because not all the apps that we like to use are optimized for 6.0.

I'm not a gamer, I don't really watch many videos, I rarely take video ... but I use my phone all the time for to keep my life organized, stay connected, and to basically be my portal to the world. Overall I'd say that my use case is not extremely processor intensive, so take that into account when I say I've experienced almost no lag. A few apps have occasionally stuttered, but I think that is an app issue and they need to be tweaked for Marshmallow.

jonclegg

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
It's "mostly" not laggy. Loading the verge.com is pretty chunky, videos on verge.com are horribly slow. Sometimes app switching can lag a little. The camera app acts like it's about to crash everytime i open it and sometimes it does. Coming from a iPhone 6, I think the performance is slightly better, but that also speaks to how horrible iOS 9 was to my phones performance.

Some things are just not smooth on android, like pinching and zooming, or panning in maps, no idea why iPhone are so smooth and android can't nail this. Most of the rest of the OS is very smooth.

maydaymay

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Long time iPhone user who just converted to Android with the Nexus 5X and honestly, this phone isn't meeting my expectations. I love the size, the fingerprint sensor is friggin so fast - way faster than Apple, but this phone feels underpowered.

The camera is so sluggish you will miss photos if you're not ready and posing for them. I hope this is a software issue and not an issue with the phone being underpowered. Shooting video is even worse....

I've also experienced overall system slowdown, app sluggishness. Just this week I was streaming spotify to a bluetooth speaker and bouncing back and forth between a couple apps, nothing too intensive, and the phone ground to a halt. The music even started sputtering for a couple minutes. I had to power cycle the phone to get things back to normal.

So far I am happy with the flexibility of Android, love the Google ecosystem, and the size is just right between the iPhone 6 and 6+, but again, this phone feels too underpowered. Hopefully a few 6.0 updates will make it run smoother.

For what it's worth, we also have a Nexus 6 (last model) running Marshmallow and it doesn't have any of these issues.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Long time iPhone user who just converted to Android with the Nexus 5X and honestly, this phone isn't meeting my expectations. I love the size, the fingerprint sensor is friggin so fast - way faster than Apple, but this phone feels underpowered.

The camera is so sluggish you will miss photos if you're not ready and posing for them. I hope this is a software issue and not an issue with the phone being underpowered. Shooting video is even worse....

I've also experienced overall system slowdown, app sluggishness. Just this week I was streaming spotify to a bluetooth speaker and bouncing back and forth between a couple apps, nothing too intensive, and the phone ground to a halt. The music even started sputtering for a couple minutes. I had to power cycle the phone to get things back to normal.

So far I am happy with the flexibility of Android, love the Google ecosystem, and the size is just right between the iPhone 6 and 6+, but again, this phone feels too underpowered. Hopefully a few 6.0 updates will make it run smoother.

For what it's worth, we also have a Nexus 6 (last model) running Marshmallow and it doesn't have any of these issues.

Nexus 6P? Or the Motorola version? If the older Motorola version, is it on Marshmallow also?

maydaymay

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
It's the Motorola version, not the 6P, and yes it's been updated to Marshmallow and is not seeing any of the same performance issues. The entire phone experience is so much better on the Motorola Nexus 6 that if phone size wasn't so high on my priority list, I'd be happy with that over the 5X.

I don't have enough Android experience yet to know if this is more of a hardware/phone issue, software issue or a mix of both, since the 5X AND Marshmallow are brand new.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It's the Motorola version, not the 6P, and yes it's been updated to Marshmallow and is not seeing any of the same performance issues. The entire phone experience is so much better on the Motorola Nexus 6 that if phone size wasn't so high on my priority list, I'd be happy with that over the 5X.

I don't have enough Android experience yet to know if this is more of a hardware/phone issue, software issue or a mix of both, since the 5X AND Marshmallow are brand new.

So the N6 and the 5X are set up exactly the same way? Same apps, same settings?

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I would say that unless you are running the 5X really hard (video and processor intensive tasks), then it should perform better than you have described.

maydaymay

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
The settings are exactly the same but the apps aren't. I've added a few different apps to the 5X. When I look at memory usage I'm averaging 68% usage for the last 3 hours and up to 83% for 1 day. The top 4 memory using apps are all system related and take up 1 of the 2 GB of memory. This phone feels underpoweres, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The settings are exactly the same but the apps aren't. I've added a few different apps to the 5X. When I look at memory usage I'm averaging 68% usage for the last 3 hours and up to 83% for 1 day. The top 4 memory using apps are all system related and take up 1 of the 2 GB of memory. This phone feels underpoweres, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The best test would be to put the same apps and same settings on both and compare.