Be careful buying usb type C cables

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, good catch. I have a juiced systems cable on order, however it did not pass Bensons tests. Guess I'll be sending it back..

mportuesisf

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the Monoprice USB A to C cable may be a safe bet. From the G+ discussion thread by Benson Leung, the Google engineer doing the reviews https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/LH4PPgVrKVN:

I have it on good authority that Monoprice's cables and accessories are compliant. I need to write a review though, maybe in a few days.

I have the Monoprice A to C cable and have been using it with a Monoprice charger to charge my 5x the past few days with no ill effects. The phone says "Charging Rapidly" but is likely not charging as fast as the real charger that came with the phone.

egdonald

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
A small worry I have is that Amazon or the vendor/manufacturer will peak the prices a bit due to Benson's reviews so as to squeeze as much profit before the other vendors start fixing their design issues that Benson mention. I obviously an just speculating, as I can't imagine how much of a difference there is in manufacturing cost between a USB C-cable vs the legacy USB A-cables that exist today.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Take a look at the Monoprice A - C cables on their website - then look at the A - C cables on Google. They look identical.

I wonder if they are made by the same cable manufacturer (from the info on their website, Monoprice is not a manufacturer but is a reseller) - they may get their A-C cables from the same source as Google, and they are less cost.

And another thing I have discovered - virtually all A-C cables are sold out right now.

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Really annoyed that this wasn't sold with the 5x. This isn't a matter of premium vs cheaper option. This is flat out user friendliness!

VTRweasel

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Grrrr. BestBuy carries Belkin but no A-C cables in stock.

The 2 sales people I talked to really didn't know what they were looking for.

Bryj91

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having difficulties finding cables to purchase? I can't seem find a trustworthy / nondamaging c-c and c-a cable for my car and laptop.

Posted via the Android Central App

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems like monoprice uses the same cables as google does (just look at the design). I have no idea why everyone is so shocked that many of the cables on amazon are less that reputable. I was very weary when cables on amazon were half the price. If monoprice can't get those price directly from the manufacturer why can 3rd party on amazon can?

I want a 6 ft usb c cable and a short usb c to usb cable and I don't need anymore cables.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems like monoprice uses the same cables as google does (just look at the design). I have no idea why everyone is so shocked that many of the cables on amazon are less that reputable. I was very weary when cables on amazon were half the price. If monoprice can't get those price directly from the manufacturer why can 3rd party on amazon can?

I want a 6 ft usb c cable and a short usb c to usb cable and I don't need anymore cables.

Who here was "shocked"?

Plus, some of us are talking about quality cables supposedly. I paid $17 for a single cable from juiced systems, which is a reputable company. No one is complaining about a $4.99 cable here..

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
So I received my juiced systems cable. I contacted them regarding a return. He said he'd be happy to do the return, however he said that the engineers are wrong and the specifications were OK. He sent me the spec. In his spec it said that for 3.0a charging a 10k ohm resistor is all that's necessary.

That's well and fine. However, the problem here is using the cables in NON QUICK CHARGE HUBS. the device thinks because the resistance is so low its plugged into a quick charge hub, even when it's not. It then calls for 3.0a charging, even from a non 3.0a charger. This in turn will cause the charging hub to become overheated, possibly damaging the charger or catching fire.

In a quick charge charger, these cables are perfectly fine. In a non quick charge charger, these cables can do serious damage to the charging source (either a charging hub OR a computer).

I plugged the juiced systems cable into my aukey multi port quick charger. In both the quick charge and non quick charge ports, the device says "charging rapidly". That's NOT GOOD.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So I received my juiced systems cable. I contacted them regarding a return. He said he'd be happy to do the return, however he said that the engineers are wrong and the specifications were OK. He sent me the spec. In his spec it said that for 3.0a charging a 10k ohm resistor is all that's necessary.

That's well and fine. However, the problem here is using the cables in NON QUICK CHARGE HUBS. the device thinks because the resistance is so low its plugged into a quick charge hub, even when it's not. It then calls for 3.0a charging, even from a non 3.0a charger. This in turn will cause the charging hub to become overheated, possibly damaging the charger or catching fire.

In a quick charge charger, these cables are perfectly fine. In a non quick charge charger, these cables can do serious damage to the charging source (either a charging hub OR a computer).

I plugged the juiced systems cable into my aukey multi port quick charger. In both the quick charge and non quick charge ports, the device says "charging rapidly". That's NOT GOOD.

This is the kind of useful basic info the google engineer failed to explain in his posting. So just to clarify, since I bought one of the cables he has flagged as out of spec:

1. If I plug it into a usb a port on my computer it could damage my computer?
2. If I plug it into a usb a port (600mA) on an old car charger, it could damage the charger?

Thanks!

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
This is the kind of useful basic info the google engineer failed to explain in his posting. So just to clarify, since I bought one of the cables he has flagged as out of spec:

1. If I plug it into a usb a port on my computer it could damage my computer?
2. If I plug it into a usb a port (600mA) on an old car charger, it could damage the charger?

Thanks!

Correct. It will overwork the charging 'source'. Be it a car charger or USB port in a PC. Some devices have safety measures to prevent that from happening. But that's no guarantee. If you plug one of these cables into an old car charger it'll probably pop the inline fuse. But its not safe.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Who here was "shocked"?

Plus, some of us are talking about quality cables supposedly. I paid $17 for a single cable from juiced systems, which is a reputable company. No one is complaining about a $4.99 cable here..

I'm not going to call out anyone by name. there is a review (there are other reviews as well for other cables) dating from September about that specific cord not being in spec with usb-c standards. Either people chose to ignore that review or didn't look through enough of them. That's due diligence plain and simple. Second it costs the same as the cable from google directly and it's the exact same length. I would not even chance it on a brand new device on a fairly recent to smartphones standard.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to call out anyone by name. there is a review (there are other reviews as well for other cables) dating from September about that specific cord not being in spec with usb-c standards. Either people chose to ignore that review or didn't look through enough of them. That's due diligence plain and simple. Second it costs the same as the cable from google directly and it's the exact same length. I would not even chance it on a brand new device on a fairly recent to smartphones standard.

That's apple logic right there. We have to support aftermarket vendors, that's one of the great things about Android products. Can't let Google bully us into buying their products.

At the same time, we have to show aftermarket vendors that were smart enough to know when they're peddling junk, or if they didn't do their homework in a product design. That's what drive s the quality of their products up.

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I find this somewhat hard to believe, at least the part about damaging the charger. I've used some of the cheap cables so far charging my 5X from a variety of sources, from very slow < 1A to the fastest non C chargers I have at 2.4A. In none of those case did the charger get hot and the charging for the 5X varied with the source. From my 2.4A it took closer to 2 hours for a complete charge. From the slower chargers it was in the 4 hour range. At this point I plan to continue to use the cheaper cables, at least until I detect something going on with my chargers.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
That's apple logic right there. We have to support aftermarket vendors, that's one of the great things about Android products. Can't let Google bully us into buying their products.

At the same time, we have to show aftermarket vendors that were smart enough to know when they're peddling junk, or if they didn't do their homework in a product design. That's what drive s the quality of their products up.

That's 100% incorrect. Just because it's a third party doesn't mean I HAVE to support them. That's where your statement falls apart. I'm not saying only buy official, but if the price is exactly the same (along with everything else), what am I gaining from the third party? except the chance that it could ruin your device or cause a fire. I bet my salary that if one of these crappy cables ruins your device, you're not going to run back to the cable company to replace your device for free, you will go to google.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I asked about this issue on today's podcast (jump to right near the end, after all the priv stuff) and then followed up with Jerry who sent this email to me:

Heya Mike

Your computer is only going to output USB 2 or USB 3 spec power (5 volts, 1.5 amp max) so most any USB type-A to USB type-C cable will work.

The issue is with USB type-C 1.1 power supplies, which can put out up to 3 amps. Most generic cables aren't rated for 3 amps continuous use, and things can get a little funky.

I'm using these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010VFFRCE

They also have Benson Leung's seal of approval. They're pricey, but they are 2 meters long, have a tangle-free braided covering, and work for both Computer > phone connections as well as with a USB Type-C 1.1 charger.

Hope this helps!

Jerry Hildenbrand