Sound profile not sticking

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've liked this phone overall minus the few hiccups here and there. But yesterday and today I've been having an issue that is getting me in trouble at work. I put my phone on DND and alarms only. The screen still pulses when I get a notification and the LED goes off so it works perfect at work. However yesterday, in a meeting, the phone starts vibrating and ringing at the absolute loudest volume possible. I fumbled with my phone and ran out of the meeting. I found that the phone was no longer on DND and full on ring at the loudest volume mode.

I figured it was a one time fluke so today I was heading to a meeting. I sat down, unlocked my phone, and pressed volume down until it said "Alarms Only, Until you turn off do not disturb". I double and triple checked it. Sure enough 10 minutes into the meeting my phone is vibrating and ringing at full volume. Same thing as yesterday, I ran out, checked the setting and it was in full volume mode.

I did restart my phone this morning to give it a fresh start. I'm thinking I will just have to start not bringing my phone with me if it is going to act this unpredictable. Anyone else have this problem yet?

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've liked this phone overall minus the few hiccups here and there. But yesterday and today I've been having an issue that is getting me in trouble at work. I put my phone on DND and alarms only. The screen still pulses when I get a notification and the LED goes off so it works perfect at work. However yesterday, in a meeting, the phone starts vibrating and ringing at the absolute loudest volume possible. I fumbled with my phone and ran out of the meeting. I found that the phone was no longer on DND and full on ring at the loudest volume mode.

I figured it was a one time fluke so today I was heading to a meeting. I sat down, unlocked my phone, and pressed volume down until it said "Alarms Only, Until you turn off do not disturb". I double and triple checked it. Sure enough 10 minutes into the meeting my phone is vibrating and ringing at full volume. Same thing as yesterday, I ran out, checked the setting and it was in full volume mode.

I did restart my phone this morning to give it a fresh start. I'm thinking I will just have to start not bringing my phone with me if it is going to act this unpredictable. Anyone else have this problem yet?

Can you check to see if any apps have DND access? It is at the bottom of the screen in Sound & Notification.

I have mine set for DND at night and weekends, and it has yet to fail me. I'm thinking you have a rogue app that triggers volume to max....you can test in Safe Mode to confirm or rule out this hypothesis.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Can you check to see if any apps have DND access? It is at the bottom of the screen in Sound & Notification.

I have mine set for DND at night and weekends, and it has yet to fail me. I'm thinking you have a rogue app that triggers volume to max....you can test in Safe Mode to confirm or rule out this hypothesis.

Nope nothing has DND access. It's weird because I haven't installed anything new since late last week but just yesterday and today this started.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope nothing has DND access. It's weird because I haven't installed anything new since late last week but just yesterday and today this started.

Was the caller a starred caller? Or did they call twice within 15 minutes (and that option is enabled)?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you have "auto update" enabled in Google Play?

Yes, why would this matter?

Was the caller a starred caller? Or did they call twice within 15 minutes (and that option is enabled)?

Yes, but how it normally works, and should work, is the screen flashes when the caller that is starred calls. It still honors the sound profile of making no noise. 2 times now it hasn't honored this. It worked fine just now and prior to yesterday.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Because despite the fact that you have not added any apps, some apps may have auto-updated that are not compliant with the rules for DND.

I strongly recommend that users do not enable that feature.

And how would this would trigger my DND to switch off if none of my apps have access to DND? I'm honestly curious.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
And how would this would trigger my DND to switch off if none of my apps have access to DND? I'm honestly curious.

Honestly, I'm not technical enough to answer this question. :)

I do know that I've read where some apps aren't complying with Doze on some devices, so based on that my GUESS is that there must be loopholes in the code or something where apps written a certain wait (or NOT written a certain way) aren't complying with what should be a system-wide rule.

Hopefully we have folks here who can explain how an app might get around DND :)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It just sounds like Google wouldn't allow apps to override someone's DND setting without any sort of notice or warning or anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae