Are photos stored locally?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I got my 5x I've used Google photos only and everything is backed up to Google photos. I never thought about where the photos (if they are) are being stored locally? I don't mind having all my photos in the cloud only but I don't see another app pre-installed to view what photos are on my device unless I'm missing something?

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
So if you go to Photos > Device Folders, you don't see any photos there?

Do you have a file manager installed (e.g., Estrongs)? If so, check out the /sdcard/DCIM folder.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I got my 5x I've used Google photos only and everything is backed up to Google photos. I never thought about where the photos (if they are) are being stored locally? I don't mind having all my photos in the cloud only but I don't see another app pre-installed to view what photos are on my device unless I'm missing something?

In Google Photos, pull out the slide out menu and choose "Device folders". This will allow you to see things stored locally on your device. From there you can choose which folders are backed up to the cloud and select photos to delete from being stored locally ("Delete device copy").

Last edited:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
In Google Photos, pull out the slide out menu and choose "Device folders". This will allow you to see things stored locally on your device. From there you can choose which folders are backed up to the cloud and select photos to delete from being stored locally ("Delete device copy").

Thanks!

Do you know if there is any way to have the photos upload to Google photos only and not keep a device copy?

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

Do you know if there is any way to have the photos upload to Google photos only and not keep a device copy?

That is something I have not been able to track down. I do find manually reclaiming space a bothersome task (granted I know once space becomes constrained Photos will offer to remove local copies of older images; I just don't want to have to push it off that long).

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It would be so easy for Google to put in a toggle to "Save files locally" or an option for both or photos only.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
It would be so easy for Google to put in a toggle to "Save files locally" or an option for both or photos only.

Or set up a "delete local photos/videos older than ___ days" option in settings. If they want to get really involved, they could allow the user to "protect" certain photos/videos from auto-cleanups.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood