how much smaller is the font?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've read in a few reviews and opinions that on screen elements are smaller on the nexus 5x. I wonder, how much smaller? I have a vision impairment and set the font size to maximum. Can anyone compare maximum on the 5x to maximum on another phone? Is the difference a 5x thing or specific to marshmallow?

Posted via the Android Central App

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've read in a few reviews and opinions that on screen elements are smaller on the nexus 5x. I wonder, how much smaller? I have a vision impairment and set the font size to maximum. Can anyone compare maximum on the 5x to maximum on another phone? Is the difference a 5x thing or specific to marshmallow?

I believe this is just a 5x thing--not a Marshmallow thing.

I compared my 5x with font size set to large vs another device--also on Marshmallow--that has a 5.7" screen with font size set to large.

I would say that the 5x font size looks to be one font size smaller. Maybe not quite as different as say a 9pt vs a 10pt, but I don't have a program that will render 9.5pt on my computer (which may be the more accurate comparison).

I'd take a picture but I don't have a 3rd phone to do that with! :)

Hope this helps.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
It possibly depends what phone you are comparing too.. The only choices there have ever been in normal google plain Android as far as I know ate: Small, Normal, Large, Huge

It doesn't seem to matter which I pick.. they are always the same on all 4 settings. They are device independent settings as well.. as the N4 is significantly lower resolution, so the phone is translating pixel sizes to real world measurements (i.e. on Large say the font may be 20 pixels high on the N4, it would be 40 pixels high on the N5x (as the pixels are smaller) but the actual size when measured with a ruler would be identical)

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It possibly depends what phone you are comparing too.. The only choices there have ever been in normal google plain Android as far as I know ate: Small, Normal, Large, Huge

It doesn't seem to matter which I pick.. they are always the same on all 4 settings. They are device independent settings as well.. as the N4 is significantly lower resolution, so the phone is translating pixel sizes to real world measurements (i.e. on Large say the font may be 20 pixels high on the N4, it would be 40 pixels high on the N5x (as the pixels are smaller) but the actual size when measured with a ruler would be identical)

I'm comparing to another 2015 phone with a larger screen and I swear I'm seeing a size difference when both display font settings are set to "huge." I will find a 3rd phone to take a picture to show the difference [or to prove that I must need new glasses ;) ]

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Idk, they seem pretty similar to me.

You are right. I finally got a 3rd phone and took a picture. It wasn't until I blew it up on the screen, and realized the slight offset was making me think the font sizes were different.5X font size compared.jpg

Other device on the LT, 5x on the RT (photo taken with a lesser camera....sorry!)

Off to check to see how old my eyeglass prescription is! :)

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thanks guys. Some reviews mention it which is why I brought it up. Appreciate you guys checking it out!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski