Gmail App on my Nexus 5X won't peek even though peeking is enabled, why?

A

AC Question

Gmail App on my Nexus 5X won't peek even though peeking is enabled

I got my Nexus 5X with Marshmallow yesterday. I have been playing around with it, with the apps and the settings. Now my Gmail app won't peek anymore. When I get an email in Gmail, I hear the notification sound and a small icon on the top left corner of the screen appears but it doesn't peek. Other apps such as WhatsApp and texting works fine, they all peek.
I have googled but all the posts say the same thing: to turn on peeking from Settings -> Sound & notification -> App notifications -> Gmail -> Allow peeking. But Peeking is already enabled for Gmail. I get the notification on the lock screen along with the sound when the phone is locked. The only problem is with peeking.

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Gmail App on my Nexus 5X won't peek even though peeking is enabled

Same here, although this is preferred for me. I get too many emails.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Gmail App on my Nexus 5X won't peek even though peeking is enabled

The Gmail app combines multiple email notifications into one, so there aren't usually previews. If you want to see previews go into the app settings and choose to get a notification for every email. I honestly haven't tried recently, but it used to work anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App

vp710

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Same here. No solution though.

The Gmail app combines multiple email notifications into one, so there aren't usually previews. If you want to see previews go into the app settings and choose to get a notification for every email. I honestly haven't tried recently, but it used to work anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App

This unfortunately does not change anything.

Last edited:

vp710

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I've done so far:

1. Check set up in the Settings section

Apps -> Gmail -> Notifications - Allow Peeking" or "Sound & Notification -> App notifications -> Gmail -> "Allow Peeking"

2. Made sure the Gmail app was properly set up.

Settings -> [username]gmail.com -> Notifications checked and under "Inbox sound & vibrate", everything turned on.

3. Force stopped and disabled Gmail, rebooted phone, re-enabled Gmail.

4. Turned off all overlays.

Still not working. Any idea what to try next? :'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza