How's the software on your Nexus 5x after a couple of weeks use?

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
With the newly reduced price for the Nexus 5x in the UK putting it on a par with the Moto I'm seriously considering swapping.

I've read many reports of the 5x being laggy etc but many people feel it will improve over time and with a software update or two. Can anyone report on the performance of their 5x after a few weeks use? Would you recommend swapping? I just fancy a Nexus experience again.

Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

**UPDATE** Thanks all for the replies. I've now sold/returned both my Moto X Style and 6P and love my Nexus 5X. It may not be top of the line but it doesn't feel like it needs to be. It feels *just right*. Glad I switched.

Last edited:

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my 5X as dailly driver for exactly one month - I have not experienced any lagging, or jittering, or any of the other issues some people have seen. Admittedly, I do only light gaming and music - however, I do have 3 email accounts - one being an Exchange account for work, which is constantly in use, and I make several hours worth of phone calling daily.

I came from a BlackBerry Z10, where I used customized and tweaked OS ROMs, and I was admittedly expecting that Android would be a trade off. However, I can honestly say I am a totally happy user - even the battery life on the 5X is more than satisfactory.

You would not be disappointed with at 5X!!

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I had a 6P but returned it, swapping for the Moto X as I missed the Moto features from my previous Moto X 2013.

What's your battery life like? My usage skins about the same as yours so would be interested to know.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I had a 6P but returned it, swapping for the Moto X as I missed the Moto features from my previous Moto X 2013.

What's your battery life like? My usage skins about the same as yours so would be interested to know.

I am very happy with the battery life - I take it off the charger most mornings around 5AM - typically still have 20-25% remaining at around 7-7:30PM - and again, with lots of work emails back and forth, and typically several hours worth of phone calls.

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 5x for about a month now, coming from a Nexus 6 (as I didn't like carrying around a 6 inch phone) and, I'll admit, I can make the phone lag if I try hard enough. It's usually not that noticeable and definitely not a deal breaker... The size of the 5x is just about perfect for me, so I'm willing to overlook / deal with the occasional hiccup.

As far as battery life goes, I'm about the opposite of the above poster. Rarely if ever make phone calls, however use the phone for non stop emails from five separate email accounts (long story... Don't ask 😁), web browsing, online chats (Hangouts, Skype, etc), forums, Reddit, YouTube, etc., etc. I usually get 12 - 16 hours out of it.

bh7171

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I too have 5 emails and am currently a BlackBerry user. My email on my Samsung Tab Pro is not good and having to go into 5 different accounts and social media is plain painful compared to the Hub on my Blackberry. How is the email management on the 5x? The rest of the device seems solid for the price point.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have 5 emails and am currently a BlackBerry user. My email on my Samsung Tab Pro is not good and having to go into 5 different accounts and social media is plain painful compared to the Hub on my Blackberry. How is the email management on the 5x? The rest of the device seems solid for the price point.

I do not have much current experience with BlackBerry or the hub... So not really sure how to compare it really. Last time I used a blackberry there was a scroll wheel on it's side 😀 LOL.

None the less, 3 of the emails are gmail accounts and I use the Inbox by gmail app to access them. The remaining 2 emails I access through the regular gmail app, even though they are not @gmail.com addresses... None of them are exchange. This system works for me, however can lead to lots of notifications. I don't social media much, besides Twitter (which I use the official Twitter app for).

I should mention that this email setup should work on most current Androids, not just the 5X.

bh7171

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. In one of the email addresses I get on average 1300 emails per week as our assignments from clients come in all day, every day. My Gmail account/email is separate and gets email notification from assignments received on my Web form and site. Management and organization is critical for me. My dad rocked a Nexus 5 happily for two years before just picking up a G4. However, he only has one email in retirement thus I have yet to see someone else doing this on Android and or even iOS. In IOS multiple email management simply does not work well. I will explore this further and appreciate the help. I like the form factor and size of the 5x.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was using the 5X as a daily driver for about a month. I am not a power user, but I do load quite a few apps, music, video, etc. I also stream music and video, use navigation, etc. No gaming. I do tend to do quite a bit of fast app switching (email to camera to notebook to web to maps back to email reading the news while waiting for the upload etc.).

The handset performs very well; the best I've had in a long time. However, I occasionally get short episodes of lag and stutter. Not a big deal for me at all compared to the issues I've had with previous handsets. Looking at the memory stats, my 5X hovers around 90-95% RAM usage. Android manages memory very well, but you can slam the processor and create a traffic jam which slows down the phone. It's always been short lived for me (a minute maybe).

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I was using the 5X as a daily driver for about a month. I am not a power user, but I do load quite a few apps, music, video, etc. I also stream music and video, use navigation, etc. No gaming. I do tend to do quite a bit of fast app switching (email to camera to notebook to web to maps back to email reading the news while waiting for the upload etc.).

The handset performs very well; the best I've had in a long time. However, I occasionally get short episodes of lag and stutter. Not a big deal for me at all compared to the issues I've had with previous handsets. Looking at the memory stats, my 5X hovers around 90-95% RAM usage. Android manages memory very well, but you can slam the processor and create a traffic jam which slows down the phone. It's always been short lived for me (a minute maybe).

I've had an Android device since Gingerbread (2.X)--you know, back in the day when you needed a task manager. I also habitually powered down every day to refresh everything...a habit that continues today even though it likely isn't really necessary anymore. Still, when I hear of other complaining of lag and stuttering (and I don't have it), I suspect that the daily habit of powering down does still make a difference for those apps that aren't as cache efficient as they should be ....

pedrosalas7

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I use my phone quite a lot, calls, email, music streaming over bluetooth to my car, navigation, social media, the occasional game while taking a dump, I the battery life is great, i unplug it at around 730 am and it can generally last until i go to bed or close.

The only lag i've encountered is when opening snapchat when i get a lot of stories that try to load. other than that it's great.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had an Android device since Gingerbread (2.X)--you know, back in the day when you needed a task manager. I also habitually powered down every day to refresh everything...a habit that continues today even though it likely isn't really necessary anymore. Still, when I hear of other complaining of lag and stuttering (and I don't have it), I suspect that the daily habit of powering down does still make a difference for those apps that aren't as cache efficient as they should be ....

I started rebooting every night at the end of the first week. It seemed to help, but I didn't track it closely. It felt good though . . . reminded me of my days pulling the battery on BlackBerry . . .

[Side note, I just started Google Photos on my 6P. And (gasp) it hung on a gray screen for five seconds before giving me the spinning wheel for three more]

Nordell

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys and girls,

I bought the Nexus 5x 32gb but suffered slowdowns as soon as all my apps were installed.

I admit to being a power user with a large number of apps installed - mainly the biggest social media apps - facebook, instagram, snapchat, whatsapp and so on, and all google apps - but to be honest, I don't think it is in any way extreme.

What i found most problematic was that the phone quite often locked and became unresponsive for a few seconds, very much making the experience of using the phone in my eyes not so pleasant.

The worst issues arose when I opened up the camera - it was often painfully slow, taking long to load, sometimes failing to exit, sometimes crashing. Looking at the ram usage, it was most often at around1600-1700 mb without really doing anything special.

Sometimes the phone would just become painfully slow overall, which could be fixed with a reboot, but on the other hand I don't think I want to have a phone which felt slower and more problematic than my previous Sony Z3C.

I have since returned it and am thinking about upgrading to 6p which comes with a full extra gigabyte of memory and quicker cpu. Still think the size is close to optimal tbh, but can't live with the in my eyes slow speed of the phone.