Nexus 5x: Internal storage rather than Google Photos?

A

AC Question

Got a Nexus 5x (32gb) a couple weeks ago. I would rather store photos on the internal storage and determine when and where I sync my photos. However, it seems that the Nexus 5x is forcing me to use Google Photos as the default photo storage. If I dig around, I can get to Gallery images, but I can't scroll or use any editing tools.

Any workarounds/apps/tips from anyone out there NOT using Google Photos?

I feel foolish at how surprised I am, but this is causing me to consider returning the phone.

Thanks!

Ondrej Rosypal

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what exactly your issue is, Google has dropped the (local) gallery app in favor of (cloud based) Photos ages ago (on Lollipop) so it's definitely not a N5X thing. The photos you take are still stored locally though and nobody's stopping you from using an alternative gallery app such as Piktures or (god forbid) QuickPic.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Got a Nexus 5x (32gb) a couple weeks ago. I would rather store photos on the internal storage and determine when and where I sync my photos. However, it seems that the Nexus 5x is forcing me to use Google Photos as the default photo storage. If I dig around, I can get to Gallery images, but I can't scroll or use any editing tools.

Any workarounds/apps/tips from anyone out there NOT using Google Photos?

I feel foolish at how surprised I am, but this is causing me to consider returning the phone.

Thanks!

I actually had this issue with my Nexus 6 as well and use the same fix on my new Nexus 5x. Here's what I've done... Download another photo gallery app from the Play store, I am using "Piktures" (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.diune.pictures&token=yBTHNWSE), but you can pick whatever one you like the most.

If you don't want to use Google Photos at all, go into the phone's settings, then "Apps", scroll down the list until you find Google Photos and "Disable" it.

Once you have another photo gallery app installed, the next time you try to open a picture on your phone a pop-up notification will appear asking what app you want to use to open this kind of file. Select your new photo gallery app from the list and then "always" and your all set. Use your new photo gallery app for locally stored pictures and upload what you want, when you want to the cloud.

I can take screenshots or better explain things in detail if needed... Just let me know. Best of luck.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what exactly your issue is, Google has dropped the (local) gallery app in favor of (cloud based) Photos ages ago (on Lollipop) so it's definitely not a N5X thing. The photos you take are still stored locally though and nobody's stopping you from using an alternative gallery app such as Piktures or (god forbid) QuickPic.

What's wrong with quickpic? I've been using it since I got my 5X with no issues.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

f4ipilot

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
You can still use Google photos and disable automatic backup. Backup what you want.

Posted via the Android Central App

Do you know if there is there a way to create device folders using the Google Photos app for organization? I did not see an option to create device folders, only to create albums in the online portion of the app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699