5X or Original N6?

Zay92

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The reason for asking is because. With the 50 of the piece of the 5x right now I'm looking at getting the 32gb version. The price of 379 before tax. Then there is a guy selling a N6 for 275 brand new. Of course price factor the N6 would be the one to go with but I'm just wondering which is better in terms of performance. I'm looking to use the device for a while like 2.5 years.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They're pretty different devices... but here goes.

Screen: Unless you really love AMOLED, the 5X is better
Processor: Very close and very similar, I give the edge to the 5X
RAM: 6 has more
Storage: 6 has a 64GB option, if you're looking for only 32 no difference
Size: nexus 6 is huge, i love it. 5x is much more manageable
Feel: the nexus 6 feels stronger, but the 5x feels much nicer
Fingerprint Scanner: 5X wins
Camera: 5X wins
Software: both Nexus, but 5X wins because it'll be supported for an additional year.
Battery life: 6 wins for "heavy users" but 5X did very well for the time I had it. Both easily blow through a "normal day".

Out of 10 Categories: Nexus 5x tied or won on 8 categories. Nexus 6 tied or won on 5 categories.

Of course, not all categories are equal. If it were me, today, I'd go 5X. I only had one for a few days but I really, really, really liked it (replaced with the 6P because I like bigger screens and 64GB).

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There's a big difference in screen size. If you're ok with the smaller screen real estate, then I'd get the 5X. Try it out, you have 'till January-something to send it back. I don't think the 6, at this point, is a great phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
They're pretty different devices... but here goes.

Screen: Unless you really love AMOLED, the 5X is better
Processor: Very close and very similar, I give the edge to the 5X
RAM: 6 has more
Storage: 6 has a 64GB option, if you're looking for only 32 no difference
Size: nexus 6 is huge, i love it. 5x is much more manageable
Feel: the nexus 6 feels stronger, but the 5x feels much nicer
Fingerprint Scanner: 5X wins
Camera: 5X wins
Software: both Nexus, but 5X wins because it'll be supported for an additional year.
Battery life: 6 wins for "heavy users" but 5X did very well for the time I had it. Both easily blow through a "normal day".

Out of 10 Categories: Nexus 5x tied or won on 8 categories. Nexus 6 tied or won on 5 categories.

Of course, not all categories are equal. If it were me, today, I'd go 5X. I only had one for a few days but I really, really, really liked it (replaced with the 6P because I like bigger screens and 64GB).

I disagree with most of what you said.

SCREEN: the amoled screen of the N6 is beautiful, and 2K. How you can compare an LCD 1080p to it, I don't know.

CPU: 64bit means nothing if the software is 32. The 805 runs @ 2.7 which btw, is the highest clock available right now. Speed test show the 5x is laggy and isn't even in the same ballpark as the 6.

RAM: nuff said.

Fingerprint scanner, well the N6 doesn't have one so......

Camera is better on the 5x, but the 6 is no slouch either. I take awesome pics and vids with my 6 and I have OIS.

I'm not saying the 5x is a bad choice, but unless you NEED a fingerprint scanner and "better" camera, I don't see how you can say the 5x is better.

As far as updates, the 6 will get the next major update (N), and you can get 2 more major updates after that if you want to run a custom rom. By then no one will care to use the 5x or the N6, so....

The 5x wasn't meant to be a flagship device. It's an upper end midrange phone. The N6 can still keep pace with the best of 2015. The 5x can't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with most of what you said.

SCREEN: the amoled screen of the N6 is beautiful, and 2K. How you can compare an LCD 1080p to it, I don't know.

CPU: 64bit means nothing if the software is 32. The 805 runs @ 2.7 which btw, is the highest clock available right now. Speed test show the 5x is laggy and isn't even in the same ballpark as the 6.

RAM: nuff said.

Fingerprint scanner, well the N6 doesn't have one so......

Camera is better on the 5x, but the 6 is no slouch either. I take awesome pics and vids with my 6 and I have OIS.

I'm not saying the 5x is a bad choice, but unless you NEED a fingerprint scanner and "better" camera, I don't see how you can say the 5x is better.

As far as updates, the 6 will get the next major update (N), and you can get 2 more major updates after that if you want to run a custom rom. By then no one will care to use the 5x or the N6, so....

I have the Nexus 6 and I bought the 6P and 5X, 5X went back but mostly only because it was too small for my tastes. The 6 is a rockin phone and I definitely love it, but the screen on the 5X really does look good, but it is nowhere near as good as the 6P imo. For me the 6 and 6P are the ones I use on a daily basis, but I seriously did like the 5X for the time I had it.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6 and I bought the 6P and 5X, 5X went back but mostly only because it was too small for my tastes. The 6 is a rockin phone and I definitely love it, but the screen on the 5X really does look good, but it is nowhere near as good as the 6P imo. For me the 6 and 6P are the ones I use on a daily basis, but I seriously did like the 5X for the time I had it.

That's cool, and I'm by no means trying to disrespect the 5x or anyone who likes it. It's a Nexus after all! But if it had the same screen size as the N6 and was better, I would own one. But it's not. It is what it is. An upgrade to the original N5.

On the other hand, at least 6p owners could make a case that the 6p is better. Although for me it's not a big enough upgrade to warrant getting it since my N6 unencrypted running a tweaked custom rom kicks absolute ****.

Btw, why is but (add a t to the end of but) a bad word here? Is this the 1920's? It would be funny if it wasn't sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21