Phone not getting update right away

igapo

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I have Nexus 5x. When the first update came out a bout a month ago, it took a few days before my wife's phone got the notice, but mine happened right away. I updated my phone right away this morning, but my wife's says its up to date.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The update is 'random'. Be patient.

You may check out Wug's Nexus Toolkit if you want to flash the update yourself...super easy

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have Nexus 5x. When the first update came out a bout a month ago, it took a few days before my wife's phone got the notice, but mine happened right away. I updated my phone right away this morning, but my wife's says its up to date.

My understanding is that your device has to be whitelisted to get the update. Not all devices are whitelisted at once so the servers don't get overloaded. Could be just that your serial number or something of that nature that puts your device into an earlier grouping...?

igapo

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. New to android so I didn't realize this. Her phone also had a "no sim card" glitch so I was wondering if there was a connection

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I haven't gotten it either yet. Not sure why they stagger the rollouts, but I know it'll probably come in the next week or so.

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
They stagger them in case any showstopper bugs that they missed pop up. There have been a few releases in the past that they halted after the first couple rounds of updates.

IIRC, the schedule they normally keep for OS updates is 5 rounds, with increasing numbers in each, with the last one being general release at 2 weeks. Can't remember where I saw that, tho, so it could be wrong.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
They stagger them in case any showstopper bugs that they missed pop up. There have been a few releases in the past that they halted after the first couple rounds of updates.

IIRC, the schedule they normally keep for OS updates is 5 rounds, with increasing numbers in each, with the last one being general release at 2 weeks. Can't remember where I saw that, tho, so it could be wrong.
I think it's fine for them to stagger the auto update check, but if you manually check for it, I think you should get the option for the update to download. Not many non-tech-savvy people are going to Settings > About > System Updates just for the hell of it.

By the way, I caved and manually downloaded and installed the OTA. Wrote up some detailed instructions, in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech