Nexus 6p or 5x

mury

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm still on the fence about picking one over the other. On one hand I like the smaller form factor of the 5x and the fact that I'll be saving some money, but one the other hand I would like the specs and extra features of the 6P. The other concern is the size of the 6P, coming from a moto x 2013. Thinking about getting both and returning the one I like the least. Would that be pretentious? What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely go with the 5X if you prefer smaller phones. I have held the 6P and it is definitely a more premium, feeling phone than the 5x. However, the 5X is by no means a cheap feeling phone. I decided to go with the 5X simply because of its size. I prefer the smaller phones, and the 5X is a great value. I highly recommend it.

I had the first and second generation Moto X phones and I can tell you that either phone will be a great upgrade for you.

Instead of buying both and returning one I would see if you can get your hands on a 6P. You may not mind it's size, but there is no point in buying both phones to find out

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

Mitch R.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I do decided to go with the 5X because of the smaller screen. It's out for delivery today, hoping to have it activated by the end of the week (awaiting a VZW nano SIM and adapter)

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the moto x 2013 and the Sony compact series. Make no mistake that both nexus phones are going to feel big. My new 5x is on the fringe of not feeling comfortable and I'm not even sure I'll keep it and if I do, I'll use a skin because I wouldn't want to put a mm of size on it. There is no way I could use a 6p. Having said that, the performance of the 5x is great so I wouldn't worry there

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought the money savings would make it worth it, but I think the screen is too small. I'm returning the 5X for the 6P.

Posted via the Android Central App

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from the Moto X 2013 to the Nexus 5x, and the Nexus 5x feels enormous by comparison, so I can't even imagine how big the 6p would feel by comparison.

mury

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for the input, a lot of things to take into consideration I'll try to make a decision in the next few days. Also from what I've seen the Google implementation of the on screen notification is not that great, as supposed in the moto x, which was great in my opinion!

mumble20

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I've just upgraded from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5X. I suppose what I wanted was a Nexus 5P - the form factor of the 5X with the premium build and performance of the 6P. But in the end, I decided that form factor was more important to me than premium build or performance.

And actually I like the 5X more than I expected. Yes, it's plastic, but once you accept that the build quality is pretty good and I really like just how thin and light it is. Yes, the styling is a bit generic but it's neat and tidy. No complaints about performance and all round it's quite a big improvement on the Nexus 4 (screen, 4G, Marshmallow, fingerprint sensor, fast charging). And despite being bigger than the Nexus 4 - and indeed the Nexus 5 - I find the form factor just about perfect.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Also from what I've seen the Google implementation of the on screen notification is not that great, as supposed in the moto x, which was great in my opinion!
Absolutely true. Sometimes notifications will show up, sometimes not. Sometimes the screen will light up if I pick up the phone, sometimes not. The Moto X 2013 really did active notifications elegantly and consistently.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely true. Sometimes notifications will show up, sometimes not. Sometimes the screen will light up if I pick up the phone, sometimes not. The Moto X 2013 really did active notifications elegantly and consistently.

I had lots of problems with notifications showing up with ambient display initially, but after the 6.0.1 update it shows up every time. Also, every time I pick up my phone now I get the time.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I had lots of problems with notifications showing up with ambient display initially, but after the 6.0.1 update it shows up every time. Also, every time I pick up my phone now I get the time.

Great to hear. I only recently installed 6.0.1, so I haven't really been paying close attention to all the improvements.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I had the moto x 2013 and the Sony compact series. Make no mistake that both nexus phones are going to feel big. My new 5x is on the fringe of not feeling comfortable and I'm not even sure I'll keep it and if I do, I'll use a skin because I wouldn't want to put a mm of size on it. There is no way I could use a 6p. Having said that, the performance of the 5x is great so I wouldn't worry there
Couldn't agree more. The 5X is a very large phone.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. The 5X is a very large phone.

Really? I don't find the N5X to be large at all. In terms of flagships and even mid-range phones today the 5X is rather small. I can see if you are comparing it to the iPhone 4S maybe, but the 5X, by today's standards, is not a large phone.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Really? I don't find the N5X to be large at all. In terms of flagships and even mid-range phones today the 5X is rather small. I can see if you are comparing it to the iPhone 4S maybe, but the 5X, by today's standards, is not a large phone.i
I think those of in this thread who are saying it's large are coming from the Moto X 2013, which was a very cute and manageable size.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Really? I don't find the N5X to be large at all. In terms of flagships and even mid-range phones today the 5X is rather small. I can see if you are comparing it to the iPhone 4S maybe, but the 5X, by today's standards, is not a large phone.

"By today's standards" doesn't mean anything when our hands haven't grown. A large phone is a large phone.

kroman1107

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just received my 5x a few days ago and have to say PERFECT size. I'm coming from a Nexus 6 which I loved but after being in many situations of not knowing where to put the damn thing the smaller size is welcomed I love it.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

I do not have this same experience.

Posted via my Nexus 5X & T-Mobile Unlimited

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I just received my 5x a few days ago and have to say PERFECT size. I'm coming from a Nexus 6 which I loved but after being in many situations of not knowing where to put the damn thing the smaller size is welcomed I love it.

Couldn't agree more. I'm so glad I decided to get the 5X. I literally almost bought the 6P, but had second thoughts.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX