any positives about the 5x?

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
It seems as though this phone is garbage based off reading through the forums. I'm considering this phone for my wife and just wondering if its worth it. She has a Galaxy s6 currently and her big complaint is the battery life. I've also noticed that the lags and stutters are horrible on that phone as well. Would this phone be better? She's not a gamer at all. Mainly social media, texting, pictures, and occasional Netflix that's really about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello! This phone would be loads better on the lag. Probably better on battery life since it has marshmallow. It's a great price as well! Do keep in mind that people on forums tend to get on solely to get help solving a problem not to praise their device. I say go for it! You can always return it if it doesn't do what you want it to.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 5X. Great device. I really like it. I do have the occasional lag, but a restart fixes it.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been running my 5X for two months - I have not experienced any of the issues people are mentioning - no lag, no stuttering, no freezing, no camera lag - NO ISSUES AT ALL.

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
It seems as though this phone is garbage based off reading through the forums. I'm considering this phone for my wife and just wondering if its worth it. She has a Galaxy s6 currently and her big complaint is the battery life. I've also noticed that the lags and stutters are horrible on that phone as well. Would this phone be better? She's not a gamer at all. Mainly social media, texting, pictures, and occasional Netflix that's really about it.

I have read all the negative reports. I still don't know what these people are talking about. I never see any "lag" on my 5x. It's always just as smooth as can be. The only complaint I have is that the compass requires frequent recalibration. It only takes a few seconds to recalibrate, but it's a little annoying.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have read all the negative reports. I still don't know what these people are talking about. I never see any "lag" on my 5x. It's always just as smooth as can be. The only complaint I have is that the compass requires frequent recalibration. It only takes a few seconds to recalibrate, but it's a little annoying.

Ditto.

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Forums are hardly a place to get a feel for how good a product is. People who have no issues tend to use their devices and not post about problems they don't have. On the other hand people who have issues, whether a fault of the phone or not, tend to gravitate to forums and are usually loud and outspoken about their problems.

I've had mine since shortly after they were released and I don't have any problems other than my video recording only records right side up, when exported and played on a PC, if the power and volume buttons are facing down. That's a software issue that they almost fixed with the last update. It's a minor annoyance that I fix using software on my PC.

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I've always wanted a Nexus phone but have always missed out because of the cycle of my upgrades.

This time I waited it out and plumped for the Nexus 5X. I'm so glad I did! The phone is awesome!

Already upgraded to Marshmallow 6.0.1 security patches are frequent too. The camera can be a little laggy sometimes but apart from that I would definitely recommend it.

So glad I finally got a Nexus phone!

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I get the forums aren't always the best place but normally you find a few positive posts. Anyways this all sounds great I will go ahead and put in an order for a new shiny white 32bg nexus 5x. I personally switched from a note 5 to the 6p and couldn't be more happier. Nexus phones are fantastic

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I've been experiencing lag on my Nexus 5x, but it is still an awesome phone, and I highly recommend it.

If you're at all worried about performance, consider the 6p, too, even though it's ginormous.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Forums are hardly a place to get a feel for how good a product is. People who have no issues tend to use their devices and not post about problems they don't have. On the other hand people who have issues, whether a fault of the phone or not, tend to gravitate to forums and are usually loud and outspoken about their problems.

This...+1. Almost like going into an Audi dealer garage, seeing 15 Audis in the air getting worked on and then concluding that all Audis break down all the time.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The 5x is way less laggy than the S6 (apart from occasionally in the camera app).

The 5x finger print sensor is also a lot better.

Stock Android is less ugly than Touch Wiz (although using theming and a launcher can make Touchwiz better these days).

The Google dialer is brilliant compared to everything else out there (local business search from the dialer is great)

It's not perfect but aside from build (if you like shiny metal and glass) the 5x holds its own against the S6.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I've only had the phone for a couple days now but so far I like it a lot. Had issues with web pages and the play store loading but I think it was just an issue with the servers or my wifi as there was a bad storm rolling through. I was getting discouraged by all the complaints but when I saw it was on sale at Best Buy I decided to give it a shot since it would be easy to return if necessary. So far I am really happy with it. It's a nice size, looks and feels good. It's usually pretty quick. If you are unsure about it I recommend getting it from Best Buy so it will be easier to return than buying from Google.

Peter_at_FlickStart

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
The Nexus 5X camera and drivers are really remarkable. This phone is powerful enough to run its front and back cameras simultaneously (even at 120 fps in video mode). It can also run the back camera at 240 fps in video mode giving you an 8 to 1 slow motion effect. I suspect there are not many phones capable of doing that sort of thing. Have a look at the video called "FlickStart, Nexus 5X, Two Cameras" on YouTube.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
My wife also has one, she came from the Note 3. She loves it, battery life is decent - she gets about 5 hours SOT before she needs to charge it. She loves the camera too. It makes me want one :)

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Overall, the 5X is a nice phone. It's very light which combined with the smaller screen make it easy to hold and pocket and operate with one hand. I started with Android in ~2009, this is the smoothest operating handset of the group (Nexus 6P is also a solid performer).

However, my 5X camera does struggle. HDR and panorama processing put a strain on the processor (battery consumption, heat, etc.).

After a few weeks I sometimes notice a bit of lag or stutter launching or switching apps. Now I restart the handset every few days and wipe the cache partition every two weeks or so. I've had little to no issues since.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Overall, the 5X is a nice phone. It's very light which combined with the smaller screen make it easy to hold and pocket and operate with one hand. I started with Android in ~2009, this is the smoothest operating handset of the group (Nexus 6P is also a solid performer).

However, my 5X camera does struggle. HDR and panorama processing put a strain on the processor (battery consumption, heat, etc.).

After a few weeks I sometimes notice a bit of lag or stutter launching or switching apps. Now I restart the handset every few days and wipe the cache partition every two weeks or so. I've had little to no issues since.

+1 for rebooting and wiping the cache partition.

I've had Android phones since Froyo (OS 2.2)--you know, back in the day when one had to do a lot [manually] to keep your phone running smoothly because the OS was pretty much in its infancy. Over time I have acquired a host of habits like manually turning off my screen before putting the phone into my pocket, powering down at least once a day, plugging in (topping off) whenever possible, charging while I sleep, wiping my cache partition every 7-10 days or if I've uninstalled a bunch of apps recently, FDR-ing if I got a bad update (only had to do that once, phew!), and swipe away apps when done. I'm sure I have other OCD things that I do without even thinking about them.... Anyway, my phones run smoothly and reliably, so while I can't cite causality, there does seem to be a correlation between what I do and how well the phone runs.

Lots of people say "you shouldn't have to do [reboots, wiping cache, etc]" but for me, if I barely have to think about [reboots, wiping cache, etc] and it helps to keep my device continually productive, then I just shrug and continue doing what simply seems to WORK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC