New Nexus 5X can't find my own wi-fi but everything else can?

A

AC Question

Hello!
I got a wi-fi problem and I feel like I've tried everything but the solution.
First things first; I'm Swedish and currently live in Japan. I got two routers set up in my little Japanese apartment that can perfectly connect to any of my devices (laptop, old Nexus 5, Wii U and handheld consoles - all European). It also works like a charm for my roommate's and friends' devices.

I went back to Sweden over the holidays and got a new Nexus 5X at the same time. It could connect to my folks' wi-fi, no problem. Airport's wi-fi, also no problem. Back in Japan, it connects to the Japanese airport's, my boyfriend's and school's wi-fi - no problem.
But then I get home, and it can't connect - not even FIND my own wi-fi router. It doesn't show up on the list! Everything else still finds and connects, even my old phone, BUT my new phone.

I've tried restarting the routers, both of them, restarting my phone, turning wi-fi on and off on phone, turning airplane mode on and off, gone to Advance settings and changed to "2.4 GHz only" (which my routers are), tried safe mode on phone, tried manually adding my networks, "forgot" said networks and re-added them, went on Developer Options and tried things people suggested online (turning on mobile data, turning on Wi-Fi Roam Scans, etc) and basically any idea I could find on the Internet or from my dad.

I can't access my modem settings since I don't have an ethernet cable which is apparently required (can't do it through wi-fi on my laptop). I can't tell if it's a problem with my phone or my router since my wi-fi works on everything else and my phone can connect to other wi-fi spots. From my room I can even access 7-11's wi-fi across the street.

Oh, I also got a Swedish SIM card temporarily in my new phone, I need to change my Japanese SIM card from micro to nano so it remains in my old phone. But before I got a Japanese SIM card I used a Swedish SIM card in my old phone and wi-fi still worked.

I got the latest Marshmallow update 6.0.1 if that might be the problem, seems like a lot of people have problems with wi-fi after the Marshmallow update? But my old phone has the same update, and it's weird that it's only my own wi-fi that won't appear.

Anyway, that's all I know, sorry it's so long. I'm an ***** at phones, so anything you guys can tell me is a big help, thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, try wiping the cache partition: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x/607313-how-clear-system-cache-5x.html

You said that you have two routers--are they broadcasting different networks, or is one acting as a repeater or extender? If the latter, see what happens if you turn the repeater/extender off. I've experienced odd network glitches when using a repeater/extender.

Yumikarp

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, try wiping the cache partition:
You said that you have two routers--are they broadcasting different networks, or is one acting as a repeater or extender? If the latter, see what happens if you turn the repeater/extender off. I've experienced odd network glitches when using a repeater/extender.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure they're different networks, but I tried what you said but it didn't work. I also tried clearing system cache, which also did not work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And the phone can't detect either of the two different networks? Are the routers set to hide their SSIDs?

Yumikarp

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
And the phone can't detect either of the two different networks? Are the routers set to hide their SSIDs?

Yes, exactly.
My dad said they might be hidden but if they are I can't do nothing about it since I don't have an ethernet cable so I can't access modem settings. I just get an error page if I type in my IP in the url bar. I don't know if there's any way to access it through wi-fi.

Maybe I should mention that my wi-fi is included in the rent, so it's not something I've set up myself. But they shouldn't be hidden, when I moved in here I could find them right away on all my devices. And every time a friend comes over they can see them as well.

I've also tried resetting the routers, which didn't help either. Without a way to access the settings, I feel like I'm out of options. And I still don't know if it's the actual routers or my phone that is the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the brand and model number of the router? Let's see if we can find a way to log into the router's settings using a web portal.

Yumikarp

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
What's the brand and model number of the router? Let's see if we can find a way to log into the router's settings using a web portal.

Sorry for the late reply, busy week.
Logitec LAN-W300N/PR5B
According to my dad, it's something that only exists in Japan.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, this will be a bit challenging if you can't read Japanese. Here's the support site with the user manual download. And here's the user manual for "V02."

Unless someone has changed the IP address of the router, open a computer browser that is connected to that wi-fi network and enter 192.168.2.1 in the URL bar. If you get the router's login page, enter "admin" for both the username and password. If the subsequent menus come up in Japanese, see if you can get somebody to help translate (or see if there is some browser extension that can help you translate).

lastseason

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Were you able to find any solution to this? I have exactly same issue with my Nexus 5x. The phone finds all networks avaible in my home except the one I want to use. All our other devices can find that network though, ipads, iphones and nexus 6.

revjam

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a nexus 5x and also can not find my wifi network i don't understand that everything else works on it but this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC