Swap capacitive button positions?

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
LG's android skin gives you the ability to swap the positions of the on-screen buttons. Is there anything out there that can replicate this functionality for the 5x?

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. I might just wait for the S7 or until LG's next release, unless I decide Project Fi savings are worth it.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't let the position of the buttons deter you from the 5X. I came from an S5, which of course had the back and recent apps buttons reversed, and got accustomed to the change in literally less than a day.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, but here's the thing. I bought a Samsung Tab S2 8.0 (traded in a near bricked Nexus 7 2012) which seriously is fantastic, and I prefer the button placement this way. I'd have pulled the trigger on an S6 but I just can't justify the price. I can get the 5x (currently on a 2013 Moto x) and switch to Project Fi and save money now, so that's the main motivation.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. I might just wait for the S7 or until LG's next release, unless I decide Project Fi savings are worth it.

No probs. Sorry there isn't a better solution. It's a shame Google seem to have such a love/hate view of customisation.

I'd root it ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone verify that rooting won't affect using the phone on Project Fi?

I also really wish it had qi charging, because usb-c cables aren't cheap right now, and it's a whole other new expense that I'd rather avoid.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone verify that rooting won't affect using the phone on Project Fi?

I also really wish it had qi charging, because usb-c cables aren't cheap right now, and it's a whole other new expense that I'd rather avoid.

I've done some searching and have found that you can still root. Just know that you may not receive OTA updates (kind of a given) and you may have issues with Android Pay.

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but here's the thing. I bought a Samsung Tab S2 8.0 (traded in a near bricked Nexus 7 2012) which seriously is fantastic, and I prefer the button placement this way. I'd have pulled the trigger on an S6 but I just can't justify the price. I can get the 5x (currently on a 2013 Moto x) and switch to Project Fi and save money now, so that's the main motivation.
I also have a Tab S2 8.0 and a 5X. It's not a big deal. I used to have a Samsung S3 and when I got my 5X I thought it would be difficult to get used to it, but it's a non-issue. At least it was for me.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Taken alone, maybe a non-issue, but since I know there are phones out there that will let me match my preferred button layout, it's enough to make me look at other compromises (no qi, and added usb-c expense) involved before pulling the trigger on a 5x. It's aggravating that with all the talk about how great "stock" android is, this one little piece of customization only exists on rooted phones or in the LG skin.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Not sure how/why wanting a phone that has the buttons in the places I want them and doesn't require me to spend extra $$ on new cables qualifies as a mountain, but thanks.

qw3rty3

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Root the phone, install Xposed, then GravityBox.
Project fi works fine. OTA updates won't install, but you can stay up to date by downloading factory images and flashing them from a computer.
I believe project fi works on most (all?) custom roms.

I've only used stock AOSP since I discovered GravityBox, I'd recommend that no matter what phone you get.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay