Help please: water damaged Nexus 5X, how can I fix it?

A

AC Question

Help please: water damaged Nexus 5X

Hi guys recently got the new Nexus 5x. Used it for about 10 days without any issues but yesterday my phone got half dunked into water. As I was outside I only noticed that my phone says no sim card. I got home removed the back case and dried inside with a hair dryer. Sim reappeared. But I realized that my Nexus imprint sensor is not working and auto rotation won't work. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help please: water damaged Nexus 5X

No. The fact that this occurred after water exposure makes hardware damage much more likely.

Last edited:

Suren Manukyan

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

Well actually after a day of leaving the phone powered off the fingerprint sensor now works the only thing remains is the gyro accelerometer and compass hope it will work soon too

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad to hear that. But keep in mind that water damage can be unpredictable and insidious. Residual moisture can cause slowly progressive corrosion of various circuits and components, so down the line, you may notice more problems.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Refer to that guide I linked above. You have to get rid of as much moisture as possible as early as possible. It might be too late. But as I mentioned, the damage can be unpredictable. Maybe you'll be lucky and no important components will be affected.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't know about water damage stickers. The rubbing alcohol method is probably going to be more thorough, in terms of getting rid of any residual water moisture.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Probably not, since the process of water damage starts pretty quickly after exposure. It's important to get rid of as much moisture as quickly as possible after the exposure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The tricky thing there is that it may be hard to know which components are damaged. Multiple components could be affected. Good luck!

Shonnan Wibrow

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
hey, so i had my phone against my body (tucked into pants) as i rode bike and sweated and then finger scanner stopped working and back camera fogged up. into the rice bowl over night, everything seems good to go again. but just realised my sleep cycle hasn't been registering movement, so downloaded app to test accelerometer and yep, nothing nudda.
sucks, any ideas on what to do or I just that unlucky. would Google cover this? as it was not dropped into water etc.
thanks for tips

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
hey, so i had my phone against my body (tucked into pants) as i rode bike and sweated and then finger scanner stopped working and back camera fogged up.
Holy tamole! Sweat messes this phone up?

Coming from a Moto G, which can take an extended water dunk w/o missing a beat: I think I'm gonna take a pass on the N5X.