traveling with 5X Tmo in the Caribbean

anon(8627824)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Soon, I'll be doing a Caribbean cruise - stopping in Mexico, Belize and Honduras. I understand TMobile has expanded the international coverage. Anyone have any experience in these countries to know how well the 5X works? I think in Mexico, I should be able to get LTE speeds... correct?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If you are asking the question:
"Can my phone get LTE speeds in the Caribbean?" then the answer is "Yes, as long as you get a SIM from a provider that has LTE, because the phone is unlocked and has the appropriate radios." However, I don't think you are asking that. You are asking, "Since I have a Simple Choice plan with T-Mobile and the countries I am travelling to are covered in the international coverage included in that plan, will I get LTE?" The answer to that is no, or at least probably not. The Simple Choice plan gives you unlimited data and text as well as $0.25 a minute calling in all of the covered countries, but it's not LTE. It's only guaranteed to be 2G, but depending on the country you may get speeds somewhat approaching 3G. But it won't be LTE, unless the roaming agreements between TMobile USA and these international carriers have greatly changed since I used them last year. I have been to Colombia, Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Australia in the last year and in the first three countries it's been 2G, maybe slightly faster. In Australia it was definitely 3G. But, it's usable, and it's included in your plan, no need to mess with new prepaid SIMs or anything like that. Your plane will land, and as soon as you turn on your phone you'll get a text from tmobile welcoming you to the country and confirming that you are in a covered location. Make sure to turn on data roaming.

EDIT: Ugh...sorry, didn't see that you were only asking about Mexico for LTE. Disregard my unnecessary post.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have used T-Mo global roaming in several countries with no problems including Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. I have not been to Canada or Mexico since getting my 5X, but I have used it in Europe and Africa again with no problems. Outside Canada and Mexico you will be limited to 2G or 3G speeds. Check the T-Mo international coverage web page for details on the specific countries you're visiting. You also have the option of buying a Data Pass to upgrade the speed by one tier.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams