Is 16 gb good enough for nexus 5x?

sdwindandsea

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
It really depends on how you use your phone. If you do not store a lot of photos/music on your phone and rarely download videos, 16GB is probably going to be fine. Otherwise I would spend the extra for the 32GB. Probably your best bet would be to see how much space you've used on your current phone. Another way to look at it...I've never heard anyone complain about having unused storage but I have heard a lot of complaints about not enough.

Finally, there are small, USB C storage drives that you can use when needed.

koobs1984

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Depends on what you do with your phone... I only use mine to talk, text, music, internet, and YouTube.. I have a few apps that I need, but I don't play games. The pics and videos I take are uploaded to Google photos.. Nothing is really stored on my phone. I've had my 16gb 5x since it was first released and have yet to fill it up.

What I did to make my decision was I looked at the phone I had, Galaxy note 4, and looked at how much storage I used up. That phone was 32gb and I barely used any space... And that's with bloatware and some junk I had loaded on it...

Posted via the Android Central App

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you do with your phone... I only use mine to talk, text, music, internet, and YouTube.. I have a few apps that I need, but I don't play games. The pics and videos I take are uploaded to Google photos.. Nothing is really stored on my phone. I've had my 16gb 5x since it was first released and have yet to fill it up.

What I did to make my decision was I looked at the phone I had, Galaxy note 4, and looked at how much storage I used up. That phone was 32gb and I barely used any space... And that's with bloatware and some junk I had loaded on it...

This is a great way to make the assessment on how much storage one needs. The one pitfall is the weird phenomenon where the OS sometimes takes up more room on a device with more storage....

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd say spring for the extra $50 and get the 32. As light as the Nexus builds are, 16 is tight. Once you get some apps and pictures on there, you'll start running low pretty quick.

The extra 16 will give you a lot of headroom.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
It really depends on how you use your phone. If you do not store a lot of photos/music on your phone and rarely download videos, 16GB is probably going to be fine. Otherwise I would spend the extra for the 32GB. Probably your best bet would be to see how much space you've used on your current phone. Another way to look at it...I've never heard anyone complain about having unused storage but I have heard a lot of complaints about not enough.

Finally, there are small, USB C storage drives that you can use when needed.

+1 to what both of these posters said.

For me, 16gb was enough. I was never even close to using up even a 1/4 of the space. You have to be realistic with yourself. I don't think it makes sense to spend more for space that you might not even use. With all of these streaming things, and auto photo upload, I don't see how all of that space will just feel up out the gate. People who are into doing certain things on their phone will say no way, that;s too small, but it's really debatable to be honest.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
+1 to what both of these posters said.

For me, 16gb was enough. I was never even close to using up even a 1/4 of the space. You have to be realistic with yourself. I don't think it makes sense to spend more for space that you might not even use. With all of these streaming things, and auto photo upload, I don't see how all of that space will just feel up out the gate. People who are into doing certain things on their phone will say no way, that;s too small, but it's really debatable to be honest.

Also, remember that if you want to sell your phone in a few years (when the apps are bigger and the OS takes up even more space), that the 32GB might be more marketable....

Thankfully, the Nexus devices hold their value fairly well over time since their update cycles are longer than that of other phones....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We should all agree that everyone has different usage patterns, and the ideal total storage will differ depending on the person. I would say that no matter how much storage you currently think you need, apps (especially games) will probably get bigger and bigger--so if you plan on keeping the phone for 2-3 years and want the ability to install many apps comfortably on the phone, you should consider getting as much storage as you can afford. But if you anticipate your app installation habits to remain unchanged, then lower storage should be adequate.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 16gb and have used almost 5 of the 10+ after 2 months. I don't play games, pictures are on cloud (after losing 2,800 pics on an SD card) and I have other phones and tablets that are 16gb. I'm probably in the minority though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
pictures are on cloud

Are you using Google Photos Auto Backup? If so, are the photos you backed up still stored locally? Open Google Photos, tap Menu>Settings>Free Up Device Storage to see if you can reclaim any of that space.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no, they are not stored locally. That could cause a problem for some, but not for me yet. I was a diehard SD card guy going back to the G1 and through the Note 4 and swore I'd never use the cloud and I have flip-flopped.