5x "charging rapidly" surprise

Mineakey

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: 5x Fast Charging Surprise!

The issue is that the power adapter and/or the cable might not be able to give the power the device is requesting, resulting in fried products. As long as the cables and chargers are quality you should be fine but if one isnt, bad things happen.

well i dont have enough posts to give you the links so.... check out the article at androidauthority.com called usb-type-c-and-3-1-explained

also check out Benson Leung's google plus page for all that you could need about usb c

Mineakey

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

here is a quick answer from Benson's page
Q : Why is a bad 3A resistor a problem?
A: 3A is bad because all of these cables and adapters are legacy host port adapter cable, meaning the other end of the cable is Type-A plug. The Type-A port and the vast majority of the devices that have Type-A ports were never designed to support 3A charging.

The cable lies to the phone by telling the phone it's attached to a pure 3A charging path, like the C-to-C cable to the OEM 3A charger that ships with the Nexus 6P/5X. The phone will attempt to draw 3A, but that may damage the weaker device you have the Type-A end of the cable plugged into.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

Oh, and as far as the Quirky charger goes...never let your girlfriend purchase tech devices without asking you to research the product first.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: 5x Fast Charging surprise

You can get the "charging rapidly" message with QC components, but that's still not as fast as the OEM 3W USB-c charger.

Posted via the AC App on my Nexus 5X

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: 5x Fast Charging surprise

This Quirky thing definitely isn't a QC-approved component. I do have a couple of Tronsmart QC 2.0 chargers and they don't report "charging rapidly" with the same cable. I did test the cables via adb shell while plugged in to my PC and they appear to be ok, yielding the "0" response. However, I'm not clear how I would test them connected to the charger that's reporting "charging rapidly." Or is the test only on the cable itself, and the charger doesn't matter?

Instuctions on testing cables: https://plus.google.com/+GeoffHoff/posts/eMsr1cyw75s
Possible values
0 - standard USB charging
1500 - 1.5 amp type C charging
3000 - 3 amp type C charging

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
In my experience any charger that delivers 2 amps or greater will show as Charging Rapidly. Anything between 1.5 and 2 amps will show as "Charging", and anything less than 1.5 amps shows as " Charging Slowly ".

The only cables I use are the Type C - Type C cables that Google sells. I also have a Google Type A - Type C cable, and 2 Monoprice ones as well.

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
What I'm still not sure of if it is safe to use a) the charger and b) the cable. Obviously, something is amiss somewhere but if the phone isn't going to be harmed by using that charger than ok by me.

Wiley Sanders

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
USB-C is just a form factor for a USB 3 connector, which also works over USB-A connectors So, if your charging device can negotiate the power, it will rapid charge your phone. For example, my Macbooks can rapid charge my 5X.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
The "charging rapidly" mystery continues. I'm only seeing the message with a particular cable and I don't see it with a Micro USB cable with USB-C adapter nor do I see it with a cable from the same manufacturer but different length. The cables are different in legth and also in the connector: the questionable one has a single gold connector, while the others are two welded pieces. I'm also seeing the phone's battery seemingly discharge pretty quickly, though I just removed Facebook app from the phone to see if that's a culprit. Wondering if one night of bad charge killed the battery.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link. This whole USB C charging thing keeps getting more interesting...

Using a USB 2.0 to USB C cable last night which is plugged in to a Tronsmart QC 2.0 certified charger, and my 5X was showing "Charging Quickly." And this time, I think it was charging quickly because it only took about an hour to go from %10 to full charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781