Nexus 5X vs Nexus 5 - Your Comparisons!

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Howdy folks. Some quick rambling and questions I wanted to get off my mind.

I was a longtime Nexus 5 user. Loved that phone. Had the white variant, was so good, and treated me well for a long time. This was the first phone that treated me to 'Photosphere' in the camera, among many other surprises.

Long rambling short, I'm hoping some current 5X owners can shed some light on the differences (cough - IMPROVEMENTS - cough) of the 5X in comparison to the 5. I realize it was made by a different manufacturer, but push that aside.

What is better about the 5X? How's the build quality compared to the 5? The matte finish on the back, is the black version grippy (like the 5), and are the other colours a little slippery? Overall how's the performance of the phone?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had both, I like the 5X a bit better. The battery life on the 5X is very noticeable. Even though I am running a custom ROM/kernel, I have heard the latest stock update is leaps and bounds better in many areas.
I realize it was made by a different manufacturer
Both by LG

The backs of the black versions (I have both)...the 5X is about half as grippy as the 5. But I have a Spigen case on when I am out, so that reduces it even more.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
From a hardware perspective, the 5X is superior... it basically took the core of the 5 and upgraded where it needed upgrading... Better screen, faster processor, bigger battery, much better camera... and slapped one of the best FPS units you can buy on the back.

The complaints about the 5X have pretty much been all software.. and software can be fixed. Google has already pushed out an update that cleaned up a lot of the problems.. and while there might be some that still remain (like an odd shutter latency when using the Google Camera), I have every expectation that these will get cleaned up. I had a Nexus 5, and its easy to forget that early on, the software had its own share of rough spots, rough spots that got ironed out as Google pushed out updates over the course of the year.

I have a N5X now, but I am most likely returning it... I have a 6P myself and this was mostly to see if it would suit my wife's needs.... and it was REALLY close to doing so, but the camera wonk would have been an issue so she's currently rocking a S7. But, surprisingly, it still make a compelling argument for itself and I am sure when the dust settles in a month or so (and a Google Camera update), the 5X will be great.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The backs of the black versions (I have both)...the 5X is about half as grippy as the 5. But I have a Spigen case on when I am out, so that reduces it even more.

Yeah... the Nexus 5 was the last phone I owned that did not get put in a case... Didn't need to... that plastic was grippy stuff and I leaned through experience that it was also extremely durable. The 5X is a bit more slippery, but it's still easier to hold than the metal and glass peers it swims with.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Howdy folks. Some quick rambling and questions I wanted to get off my mind.

I was a longtime Nexus 5 user. Loved that phone. Had the white variant, was so good, and treated me well for a long time. This was the first phone that treated me to 'Photosphere' in the camera, among many other surprises.

Long rambling short, I'm hoping some current 5X owners can shed some light on the differences (cough - IMPROVEMENTS - cough) of the 5X in comparison to the 5. I realize it was made by a different manufacturer, but push that aside.

What is better about the 5X? How's the build quality compared to the 5? The matte finish on the back, is the black version grippy (like the 5), and are the other colours a little slippery? Overall how's the performance of the phone?

I thought LG made both the 5 and 5X?

Sorry, nothing else to add since I've not had the N5.....

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The 5X is a slippery little sucker. I would have loved for it to be 'grippy' like the Nexus 5, but it's really slick as can be. I did pickup Xtremeguards skins (which I love) for it to add that much needed grip. Overall I really liked the phone, but then someone conned me into trying a 6p and I haven't looked back.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
If you think the 5X is slippery what does that make the 6P? I have a black 5X and it has plenty of grip. Not as much as the 5, but not too far off.

Posted via the Android Central App

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the N5 and just received my N5X yesterday morning. I haven't had very long with the 5X, bit so far I can say it is a better phone to me personally. I can't spit out the differences in specs without looking them up, but I can say for me the reception and call quality is much better, along with battery life so far. The camera isn't even close. Also I think the screen is a good bit better. Last bit definitely not least, is the new software. In 24 hours I've already noticed the smoothness and haven't had any noticeable lag at all. It's not quite as fast as the iPhone 6S plus I came from, but it's also not that much slower either. I think I'll be very happy with this phone for a while.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty