How is your 5X holding up?

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm helping my brother choose a good phone. He's really considering the 5X with the deal at b&h photo ($25 gift card + $50 off). He would get the 16 GB model.

So how's the battery? Is there lag at all? Has it gotten any different in the time that you've had it? He plans on keeping it for 2 years, maybe 3 if it lasts. Should he pay $125 more for the 6P? I'm worried about only 2 gbs of ram. How's the fingerprint sensor compared to the 6P?
Thanks!

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with my larger Asus Zenwatch 2

teg10

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the 5X and the Galaxy S7, and almost prefer the 5X. It can feel snappier, I love the lighter weight and slightly largely screen, and it's great that I don't feel like I have to baby it all the time.

Can't speak to comparisons with the 6P, but the fingerprint sensor is outstanding -- recognizes every time, unlike my S7, which fails 50% of the time. I've had problems with volume and call quality on the S7 - the 5x's speaker phone and earpiece volume are much better.

I am getting the lag with the camera shutter that others have noted. And the screen is notably less crisp than the S7's. Also, the buttons (volume, etc.) aren't that great - a tad flimsy and harder to locate and use than those on the S7.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm helping my brother choose a good phone. He's really considering the 5X with the deal at b&h photo ($25 gift card + $50 off). He would get the 16 GB model.

So how's the battery? Is there lag at all? Has it gotten any different in the time that you've had it? He plans on keeping it for 2 years, maybe 3 if it lasts. Should he pay $125 more for the 6P? I'm worried about only 2 gbs of ram. How's the fingerprint sensor compared to the 6P?
Thanks!

Those are some great questions. I don't have the device, so I can't speak from experience. However, I do see that some people are having performance issues. Though, I can't say if that's a hardware thing or due to the way the User is using the phone (i.e. intense apps, multi-tasking between high memory use apps, etc.).

Though, if he can bump up to the 6P Best Buy is offering a deal that gets you a $50 gift card that gives you more spending flexibility.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have had my 5X for a little over 5 months - it's a spectacular device! I AM a power user - phone calls all day long, 3 very active email accounts (one being an Exchange account with continual syncing of emails, contacts, tasks, notes), 3 chat apps (BBM, WeChat and What'sApp) in addition to standard SMS, active weather and weather radar apps - I DO NOT do any gaming or videos.

I have never had any negative issues or problems - including the "camera lag" - and the March Android update made everything that much faster and smoother.

I came from many years with Blackberry and was expecting to be disappointed and frustrated with Android and learning a new device - and it turned out to be the opposite!

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

I think in order for us to give a more accurate estimate of adequacy, we would need to know how the phone would be used? Is your brother a power user? Does he game? Does he watch a lot of videos? Does he live in a rural or urban setting?

I've had the 5X since about a month after launch. It works fabulously for me.
  • I live in a smaller town where all the major carriers seem to have decent reception
  • I do pick up my phone a lot during the day, but my SoT is relatively low during the workday since I sit at a computer all day (and can do Hangouts--for IM and SMS/MMS--and Gmail all day at a keyboard)
  • On the weekends, SoT is higher (maybe around 3 hours?)
  • I don't game or watch videos or do any social media apps
  • I've never noticed any lag--even with the camera, but I also have HDR disabled
  • I don't clutter my device up with apps that I don't actively use--it stays pretty streamlined.
  • I do a lot of email (several active accounts), text, and IM (Hangouts) and surf the web for news and information

Hope these details give you some kind of reference point for comparison to how your brother would use his device.

I've extremely pleased with the 5X. The device is a nice size, performs well, and the vanilla Android experience is soooo refreshingly free of bloatware that I'll probably be a Nexus user forever now.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

I think in order for us to give a more accurate estimate of adequacy, we would need to know how the phone would be used? Is your brother a power user? Does he game? Does he watch a lot of videos? Does he live in a rural or urban setting?

I've had the 5X since about a month after launch. It works fabulously for me.
  • I live in a smaller town where all the major carriers seem to have decent reception
  • I do pick up my phone a lot during the day, but my SoT is relatively low during the workday since I sit at a computer all day (and can do Hangouts--for IM and SMS/MMS--and Gmail all day at a keyboard)
  • On the weekends, SoT is higher (maybe around 3 hours?)
  • I don't game or watch videos or do any social media apps
  • I've never noticed any lag--even with the camera, but I also have HDR disabled
  • I don't clutter my device up with apps that I don't actively use--it stays pretty streamlined.
  • I do a lot of email (several active accounts), text, and IM (Hangouts) and surf the web for news and information

Hope these details give you some kind of reference point for comparison to how your brother would use his device.

I've extremely pleased with the 5X. The device is a nice size, performs well, and the vanilla Android experience is soooo refreshingly free of bloatware that I'll probably be a Nexus user forever now.

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
He doesn't game. He's right outside of Charlotte. He doesn't really watch videos or anything like that. I would assume it's medium to low usage.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
He doesn't game. He's right outside of Charlotte. He doesn't really watch videos or anything like that. I would assume it's medium to low usage.

If he has good mobile coverage right outside of Charlotte, then it sounds like the 5X would work well for him.

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys for ask the help. He bought it today. I'm excited for him because I love new phones.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Had a 6P for three weeks and returned it because it didn't live up to all of the hype for me. Then I flip-flopped between my G4, 5X and Nexus 6 and just sold my N6 yesterday. It got the least use because of its size, weight and mediocre camera, but outside of that it was a fantastic device. Now that I'm down to two, I end up using my 5X 90% of the time. For me its the perfect size, very light weight, thin, fast, smooth and the finger print scanner is fabulous. I have always preferred polycarbonate phones and the grip (I don't use cases) and durability they provide. The 10 or so percent that I use my G4 is just enough to remind me that the 5X is my favorite phone and I recently looked at and tried out the S7 and G5 and realized that my bank account is safe until the next Nexus' arrives. Oh yeah, the camera update that arrived today is one more step in the right direction.

Posted via the Android Central App

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Had a 6P for three weeks and returned it because it didn't live up to all of the hype for me. Then I flip-flopped between my G4, 5X and Nexus 6 and just sold my N6 yesterday. It got the least use because of its size, weight and mediocre camera, but outside of that it was a fantastic device. Now that I'm down to two, I end up using my 5X 90% of the time. For me its the perfect size, very light weight, thin, fast, smooth and the finger print scanner is fabulous. I have always preferred polycarbonate phones and the grip (I don't use cases) and durability they provide. The 10 or so percent that I use my G4 is just enough to remind me that the 5X is my favorite phone and I recently looked at and tried out the S7 and G5 and realized that my bank account is safe until the next Nexus' arrives. Oh yeah, the camera update that arrived today is one more step in the right direction.

Wow I have the same situation like yours except I have s7edge that im goin to sell instead of nexus 6.

-S7Edge

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Boy I sure hope the fanboys don't see your post! To me there is just something totally wrong with an all glass "mobile" device. How does that make sense and didn't Apple stop doing that a few years ago for good reason. So when does the 5X arrive?

stuka85

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
i got the n5x since its launch and i think it’s the worst nexus device I’ve used, i had the N4, N5 and N5X and this lag its killing me, it’s frustrating, the camera is awesome but the more you use it, the more lag it gets. i have to restart it at least 2 to 3 times a week to make it snappy again. I’m planning to buy the new nexus this fall if with Android N the lag continues.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
i got the n5x since its launch and i think it’s the worst nexus device I’ve used, i had the N4, N5 and N5X and this lag its killing me, it’s frustrating, the camera is awesome but the more you use it, the more lag it gets. i have to restart it at least 2 to 3 times a week to make it snappy again. I’m planning to buy the new nexus this fall if with Android N the lag continues.

Wow that's surprising, mine has almost zero lag. Have you already done the cache clear and/or factory reset?

Koato8

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen very little lag. I use my phone moderately, with no gaming. I think most people that are getting any lag that is frustrating might have apps causing the issue. The only thing i have noticed that is strange is skype battery drain(without use of the app even... but that is an app issue.)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For $199 + tax + $0.66 it is a very good phone. (Project Fi pricing if you use for 1 day and cancel or put on hold)

Haven't experienced the lag people are talking about.

My camera is actually quite quick to start up, even on the original mda89e software that came with the phone.

Forcing HDR+ pictures will only allow 3 before it is stuck processing for a few seconds but realize it is using CPU to merge 3 or more 12mp pictures. Turn off HDR+ or leave it on auto and you can pretty much take pictures as fast as you want.

I'm sure there is something up with the folks seeing the lag. Just saying I don't see it in my usage.

I think the games actually run faster frame rate on the 5x because it is only pushing 1920x1080 instead of the higher resolution on the 6p.

My memory is always sitting around 1.0-1.2 used so I still have memory to spare. I do disable stuff I never use though. Nexus phones have less "junk" loaded so 2GB is not as little as you might think.

One thing I kind of didn't like is the edge around the screen is a bit sharp. The back side is curved and feels ok. The sides around the screen don't feel that great in the hand but after I put a case on the phone don't notice anymore.

I don't know why they didn't just go with USB3.1 given they went with the USB-C connector. You get the fast charging but not the higher speed data transfer.

The Sunlin charger that comes with the earlier units generate more noise and cause the touchscreen to be hard to use while charging, but this mostly shows up in 240v countries.

You kind of have to buy some adapters or new cables to work with the USB-C connector and folks seem to be charging more for these since they aren't as common yet. Make sure your cable has the 56k pull down resistor or the auto config might pull too much juice from your charger and cause issues.

I do miss the AMOLED screens on the Samsung's (and 6P) with the completely black blacks but your eyes just adjust after a while and you don't really notice it until you put the phone side by side with a AMOLED.

I like that USB OTG works out of the box. Just plug in the micro sd reader and the file builtin file explorer pops up. Makes the lower 16GB quite usable even if you like to do lots of backups or watch movies.

You can get better phones, but not for $199 unlocked, no contract, with all frequencies used around US/world and guaranteed to get fixes quickly from Google for at least another 3 years.

Last edited:

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had my 5X since January and have had little to no issues. I live in NY a couple hours north of NYC and use Verizon. I haven't experienced the lag issues others have complained about. The phone has just worked for me. Every phone will have minor issues here and there.

I'm trying to decide on a phone for my wife. She has the Moto X 2013 (which is what I had before the 5X) and i just recently updated her to Lollipop. I waited because I had many issues with my phone but decided to do it because she started having issues. Anyways i'm trying to get her to use my 5X to get used to the size and she's a bit stubborn when it comes to technology. I did get her to try it for a few min last night and it seemed to be ok. I was thinking about the Iphone SE because of the size but I feel like it will take her more to get adjusted to the Iphone software than the size of the 5X. I also considered the Galaxy S7 but decided that would be stupid to pay nearly twice as much when she wouldn't even take advantage of most of the features it has. So the point of me saying this is that I think the 5X is a great phone and it seems like i'll be buying it for my wife who is not a very heavy user. Mostly texting and facebook.

mlmeloy

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It depends on usage, but I would worry about the 16gb of storage as much as the 2 GB of RAM. I don't think that's enough for most users.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll echo the sentiments of most others on here and agree that you made a good choice.

Jerry Hildenbrand is right - best bang for your buck on Android right now sums it up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000