Nexus 5x heating issue?

A

AC Question

Exactly as the title implies. My phone gets warm even when I'm simply browsing the internet or watching videos on YouTube. And when I'm actually playing a game it starts to get hot in 5 minutes around the finger print scanner and the upper part of the screen. I can even feel my fingers tingling due to the heat after I put my phone down. I've noticed that a lot of people say this is normal but is it? Do others face this problem as well? I really wish Google would release a fix for this like they did with the LG G4.

Ps. My phone doesn't lag, it just feels really warm.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: Thread moved to 5X forum.

I have a 5X myself, and the only time my phone ever got hot was during a recent video Hangout meeting while the device was charging. How old is your device? Have you tried a cache clear?

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Mod note: Thread moved to 5X forum.

I have a 5X myself, and the only time my phone ever got hot was during a recent video Hangout meeting while the device was charging. How old is your device? Have you tried a cache clear?

I'm the guy who originally made the post. Just made an account for this site. Anyways, I've had this phone for a week.

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Sadly can't have it exchanged since I didn't buy it from Google (third world country issues :p)
Here's a screenshot of my phone's temperatures using CPUz after around half an hour use. Mainly browsing and stuff. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 13005.jpg
    13005.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 37

deshku

May 1, 2016
Visit site
In many cases, we have seen the overheating problem. The phone starts heating and turns off automatically! So there are There are 2 big factors why the heat problem occurs in a cell phone?

1. How we use a smartphone? – This is a Common Issue and we should take care.

Mostly the heat problem occurs, when you use it out of the limit. LIKE: you are trying to do 3 or 4 tasks – Charging, Receiving data, and Calling… or Receiving Data or Sending Data… means 3 or 4 tasks simultaneously causes phone overheating.

2. Due to the Internal Phone Circuit Problem? – Not a Common Issue

It it is internal fault then it will be resolved by the service center or an expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm not really sure if my phone is overheating since it hasn't turned off automatically and doesn't lag whenever it's hot. Just that it's warm to touch. Actually sometimes it's really warm during normal use but most of the time it's just warm. It only seems to get really hot whenever I play certain games.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sadly can't have it exchanged since I didn't buy it from Google (third world country issues :p)
Here's a screenshot of my phone's temperatures using CPUz after around half an hour use. Mainly browsing and stuff. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

That doesn't seem so bad. My 5X got up to 135 F. Is it like that all the time? No. What are you doing with the device?

May 1, 2016
Visit site
^Usually its between 34C-38C. For example just a little while ago I checked and it was 37C. After playing games the temperatures read 40-45C depending on the games I play. It is at that point that parts of the phone feel hot. With this device I usually just browse, text, listen to music and play games.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
How is you cell signal? Does the phone get warmer while on mobile data or even on WiFi? Using mobile data when you have a weak cell signal or a very slow connection will use more battery and generate more heat. I tried to check this in your screenshot, but the status bar is hidden under the volume slider.

May 1, 2016
Visit site
How is you cell signal? Does the phone get warmer while on mobile data or even on WiFi? Using mobile data when you have a weak cell signal or a very slow connection will use more battery and generate more heat. I tried to check this in your screenshot, but the status bar is hidden under the volume slider.

The volume slider came up while I was trying to take a screenshot. Not really used to it yet. And funny thing, I was actually using mobile data during that time, was on 2g since the place I was in has poor reception. WiFi was also on at that time tho I wasn't connected to any networks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, using mobile data on a weak and slow connection could be one of the causes for your phone getting warmer than usual. Try with a good WiFi network and see if it makes a difference.