Traveling to Italy...What sim card can I use?

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I might be going to Italy this August and I was curious if anyone has any suggestions on what I should get so I can use my Nexus 5X over there. Right now I am on Verizon and I don't believe that will work over there. Do I have to get a specific sim card to use the phone internationally or can I just get like a Straight talk or AT&T prepaid sim?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I would ask Verizon. I have met people visiting Oaxaca, Mexico, who had unlocked cell phones and they walked into a Telcel store in Oaxaca and for about $12 USD walk out with a Telcel SIM card and $200 pesos in time. I don't know if Telcel has codes for unlocking locked phones or not.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I would ask Verizon. I have met people visiting Oaxaca, Mexico, who had unlocked cell phones and they walked into a Telcel store in Oaxaca and for about $12 USD walk out with a Telcel SIM card and $200 pesos in time. I don't know if Telcel has codes for unlocking locked phones or not.

This phone is unlocked so that shouldn't be a problem. I just wasn't sure what to use or get. I will try and contact Verizon first to see if it will work with their sim. I'm sure they will charge more though.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It depends to some extent on exactly where in Italy you are as network quality varies somewhat, just as it does in the US.

I usually walk into a TIM Store and find someone who speaks English; I have had good luck using my phones on TIM.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Project Fi? The data is supposed to cost the same no matter what country you're in—about $10 per GB.

Good point! And, you can make telephone calls over that data connection if you use the Hangouts Dialer app.

I have Fi now, but did not have it the last time I was overseas, so I can't vouch for the service, but do keep in mind that data is limited to 256kbps, which is quite slow. https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#international-usage

kmod75

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Verizon will work internationally, but rates might be higher than going with a local SIM. Might want to check and compare. I used Verizon in Tanzania, Africa last year with no issues. Verizon has a list on their website of international roaming agreements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol