Battery Draining Fast, but Settings>Battery doesn't seem to help

A

AC Question

I've had my Nexus 5x for a week now and I like it, but the battery seems to be draining really fast. I'm at a loss as to why. For example last night I decided to run a test. I unplugged it at 100% battery at midnight and when I woke up at 7:30 it was down to 90%. I had very few notifications overnight (I think one email was it). The thing is according to the battery report in settings it only listed 4% total in use (something like 1% Android stand-by, 2% play services, etc.).

Now later today I'm already down to 52% with only moderate use. The battery report has the following:

Screen 8%
Now for Reddit 5%
Spotif 3%
Android OS 2%
Google Services 2%
Bluetooth 2%
Android System 2%
Whatsapp 2%
Then Cell standby, Instagram, Google app, and phone idle all at 1%

That only 30%, but my battery is currently sitting at only 51% full. I tried clearing the cache about an hour ago but it still seems to be draining as fast as before. Any suggestions?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I get frustrated at terms like "moderate use". My nephew would say that about his use but he plays games on his phone, does the social media, listens to music and watches music videos. But, just moderately.

I'm using Android N right now but I think if you go to settings-battery and then tap on "screen" you'll see how much time your screen has been on since you last charged your phone. For people who play games and social media, screen on is a major drain.

For me, with my Nexus 5x running Android N, I charge my phone either just before I got to bed or right after I get up and it's usually around 80% when I charge. Sometimes I'll skip a charge and go lower. But, I play no games, do no social media, watch no videos. My Bluetooth is turned off it I'm not using it for something specific. Ambient light is turned off but since I'm older than dirt I have the brightness on the screen at max. My $5.75 a month cell service has a very low cellular data limit, but unlimited calls and messages to US/Canada/Mexico, so I keep cellular data turned off and only turn it on for something special. I got to the net, do email, and so forth when I'm connected via WiFi which is most of the day.

I like my Nexus 5x, I'm enjoying the Android N beta, and have no complaints about the battery. But, I do carry a power pack in my little daypack just in case. It will charge my phone five times or my Kindles a couple of times.