How is the 2700mAh battery for this phone?

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm buying a new Nexus when it's released in a couple months. I just don't know which yet. Sailfish has a 2770mAh but the Marlin is going to have a 3450mAh. Battery is huge for me but price is also a factor. So I wanted to know how well does the Nexus 5x with a 2700mAh?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's pretty good. I'm a medium-light user and I can get a good 10-12 hours on a 70% drain. I am running a custom ROM and Franco Kernel as well.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I know it's hard to compare because the Sailfish will have a Snapdragon 820, double the RAM, and with Android Nougat, much better DOZE feature. So the phone will just overall be good but the battery still made me wonder.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know it's hard to compare because the Sailfish will have a Snapdragon 820, double the RAM, and with Android Nougat, much better DOZE feature. So the phone will just overall be good but the battery still made me wonder.

Partly....Remember, the 5X will get 7, so the improved Doze is equal. I don't think there will be anything to be concerned about....unless you have the phone screen on a lot. Then, a bigger battery may be something to look at.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Battery life was decent before messing with anything. Has been very good on Pure Nexus with ElementalX kernel and interactive governor tweaks. I can go 18 hours off charger with 6+ hours SoT and .2-.3% idle drain per hour.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Battery life was decent before messing with anything. Has been very good on Pure Nexus with ElementalX kernel and interactive governor tweaks. I can go 18 hours off charger with 6+ hours SoT and .2-.3% idle drain per hour.
True. But I don't use any custom kernels and root my phone. I definitely appreciate the feedback everyone.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Some insisted the battery life is terrible and for others it's fine. Assuming the phones are the same, the variable is the apps installed and how the Nexus 5x is used. I had an app on my Nexus 5 that did bad things. My battery was draining rapidly when I wasn't using the phone. When I isolated the app and got rid of it, problem gone. The second factor is phone use. I've seen people playing a game on their computer for an hour solid. That's has to use the battery. A man posted here that he had only the normal apps on his phone and then he listed some. I had none of them on my phone. Most were what are called social media apps. My guess is the use described as moderate by game players and social media addicts is not as moderate as they say. It is useful to look at screen-on-time when considering your battery but that rarely reported. FWIW, I have a small, light-weight battery pack in my little daypack I carry when I go out. If I'm caught short I can charge my Nexus 5x and/or my Kindle. I've never had to use it for my Nexus 5x.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm buying a new Nexus when it's released in a couple months. I just don't know which yet. Sailfish has a 2770mAh but the Marlin is going to have a 3450mAh. Battery is huge for me but price is also a factor. So I wanted to know how well does the Nexus 5x with a 2700mAh?

Not great but decent. In an 18-hr period, I can get about 3 hrs SOT with medium usage of phone. With the same type of usage, I can get about 6 hrs of SOT on my GS7E.

I wouldn't use my N5X as my daily main phone.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking my best choice would be the Marlin for the long term. I usually keep my phones like 3+ years. And with Google doing the whole 3 year update thing, its perfect. Good 3450mAh battery to last me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have both the 5X and the 6P....

Battery wise, the 5X isn't that far behind the 6P... The smaller, lower resolution screen evens the score a bit. It's only when you start ripping on some stuff... Like tethering, for instance... That doesn't care what screen size you have, that's all battery and that ~700mah difference shows.

I can get well into the 3 to 4 hour range over the course of a full 24 hour charge cycle, which is more than enough for me.

I was honestly pleased with the battery performance... A little surprised it did as well as it did. It does as good, if not a bit better, than my wife's S7.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have both the 5X and the 6P....

Battery wise, the 5X isn't that far behind the 6P... The smaller, lower resolution screen evens the score a bit. It's only when you start ripping on some stuff... Like tethering, for instance... That doesn't care what screen size you have, that's all battery and that ~700mah difference shows.

I can get well into the 3 to 4 hour range over the course of a full 24 hour charge cycle, which is more than enough for me.

I was honestly pleased with the battery performance... A little surprised it did as well as it did. It does as good, if not a bit better, than my wife's S7.

I had a different experience. My 6P would go 4-4.5ish, my 5x goes about 2.5-3ish SOT. My Note 7 goes about 4.5-5ish.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had a different experience. My 6P would go 4-4.5ish, my 5x goes about 2.5-3ish SOT. My Note 7 goes about 4.5-5ish.

Well... battery usage is extremely variable... My 5X does great, as long as I am not hammering on the camera. If I have to use it a bunch, it'll burn through a charge like nobody's business. If I'm just doing my usual day to day stuff, it hums along, sipping power.

As a side note. I'm fairly certain now that the SD808 is a voracious beast when it comes to imaging. Both phones with one that I've come in contact with... the N5X and the LG G4... did extremely well most of the time. But once you open that camera app on either phone, the battery icon might as well be the gas gauge from a '70 Cuda.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't brag about the battery life on the Nexus 5x, but it's also not horrible. I used to own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, so I know horrible battery life (two hours of screen-on time, maximum on that one).

I'd say with normal (for me) use, I can get through the entire day on one charge, but it starts to get very low late at night (so close to 11pm, it will be down to 15%). Normal for me is checking social media and email every few hours, playing an hour of games, and streaming the occasional YouTube video. Also syncing up with iTunes using iSyncr. And some random other stuff. Nothing too, too heavy, but I do use my phone (it doesn't just stay screen-off all the time).

The rapid charging feature is handy. If I can get a good ten minutes of charging in in the middle of the day, that does a lot for lasting through the night well above 15%.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Normal for me is checking social media and email every few hours, playing an hour of games, and streaming the occasional YouTube video. Also syncing up with iTunes using iSyncr. And some random other stuff. Nothing too, too heavy.

That's a pretty good summation of a user who will do well with the 5X. I flip flop between the 5X and 6P on occasion, but if I have to hammer on the thing (like going on a day trip to the beach), I'll grab my 6P.... even though it has more thirsty hardware, it also got a big lump of a battery in it. So it can power through things a bit better when the 5X, and my wife's S7, runs out of steam quickly.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5x is great for me. No games. No social media. I use the camera some and as was mentioned that uses battery but texting, receiving and sending emails, checking my Spanish/English dictionary, Google maps, just doesn't drain a battery fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol