LG Nexus 5X took a swim

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. Many stupid stuff has happened in my life.. @19 I suffer a ruptured brain aneurysm followed by a stroke...blahhh blahhh.........:)

Yeah, I am a live miracle. But my phone still decided to go for a swim inside my toilette bowl...none of the less of where people drown their phones I think...

What should my next step be?? I already placed a new order of the same but what to do about getting ANYTHING off this device now?

Lost forever huh??

Thanks folks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't power on at all? If so, then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. Hopefully you had Google Photos Backup turned on.

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Now when connected to the charger: the battery icon comes on, flick off, comes back on as "charging", stays on for a second or two, and the process starts all over...

zambi82

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Leave it off, place it in a zip lock bag, fill the bag with dry rice so that the phone is buried in it. Seal and leave it alone for 24-48 hours then try turning it on. Saved a few phones that went for swims this way. The rice is supposed to draw out the moisture from the phones internals. On a side note, I read somewhere that you shouldn't try turning it on before its completly dry, or you could fry it completely. The rice trick works if you act quick. But it still might be worth a shot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter. The idea is that uncooked rice acts as a desiccant, drawing in moisture (much like those little packets of silicone beads that come in a lot of products to keep them dry during shipping).

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Leave it off, place it in a zip lock bag, fill the bag with dry rice so that the phone is buried in it. Seal and leave it alone for 24-48 hours then try turning it on. Saved a few phones that went for swims this way. The rice is supposed to draw out the moisture from the phones internals. On a side note, I read somewhere that you shouldn't try turning it on before its completly dry, or you could fry it completely. The rice trick works if you act quick. But it still might be worth a shot.

I dropped my LG G2 in the sink whilst doing the washing up (I was trying to change the track on my music player.)

The rice method worked perfectly for that phone. Left it in the airing cupboard in a bag of rice overnight and it worked perfectly the next day.

Hope you get it sorted.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The back cover can be removed from the Nexus 5X without too much trouble. Taking it off might help the drying process. Not sure how it affects warranty though, if applicable.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"But my phone still decided to go for a swim inside my toilette bowl...."

Oh, I don't think so. Accept a little responsibility there. The old toilet bowl trick. A friend of mine here in Oaxaca went to the U.S. and while there bought a very expensive iPhone. I realize that "really expensive iPhone" is redundant. She got home and was very proud of her new, a quite rare, iPhone until she went to the restroom in a cafe. Plop. Carrying cellphones in the hip pockets of jeans is risky for a lot of reasons.

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The phone is in rice since 09-06-2016. Try powering it on or connect it with a charger first and see what is going on? I doubt there is any juice left in it...

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
"But my phone still decided to go for a swim inside my toilette bowl...."

Oh, I don't think so. Accept a little responsibility there. The old toilet bowl trick. A friend of mine here in Oaxaca went to the U.S. and while there bought a very expensive iPhone. I realize that "really expensive iPhone" is redundant. She got home and was very proud of her new, a quite rare, iPhone until she went to the restroom in a cafe. Plop. Carrying cellphones in the hip pockets of jeans is risky for a lot of reasons.

LoL Close to what I did...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Trouble is the battery is still connected so some of the circuitry can still fry. That's why I like removable batteries.

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Not my N5X, but when my droid Maxx took a swim, I did the rice and all to no avail. It wouldn't turn on either. So in desperation? I hit all the openings with high pressure air and after I blew out the power button it worked fine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member