5X Camera Experience

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
My 5X runs fine aside from the camera. Shutter lag is embarrassing compared to flagship phones, processing HDR takes way longer than it should, switching to video from pictures seems overly slow, and when I stop recording a video there's either a huge delay or my phone freezes (this might be related to the videos being 4K, but c'mon).

How does everybody else feel about the camera experience?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
When I was shooting raw files the delay between shots was unacceptable. With Google Camera shooting HDR or another app, Manual Camera, shooting .jpeg I don't have unacceptable delay.

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
My 5X runs fine aside from the camera. Shutter lag is embarrassing compared to flagship phones, processing HDR takes way longer than it should, switching to video from pictures seems overly slow, and when I stop recording a video there's either a huge delay or my phone freezes (this might be related to the videos being 4K, but c'mon).

How does everybody else feel about the camera experience?

Why are you comparing this to flagship phones? Flagship phones have an SD 820/821 with double the ram and cost 3 times as much. Not really surprising they are faster to process HDR. This camera takes the best photos of any $200 Android. If you are worried about shutter lag then turn off HDR. You are correct though, the lag you are describing with the video camera doesn't happen if you record in 1080p.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... the 5X does have a noticeable delay when you tap the shutter button.. and I am not referring to the exposure time on HDR+ pictures, straight up, HDR+ off pics, there's a like a drum beat between press and picture. I really don't know why, either. Sure, you could say that it has a processor that is slower than the 6P, but the LG G4 has the SD808 as well and that can rip off a shot far faster.

And if memory serves me right, 3rd party camera apps are much quicker to get the shot off. So its something about the Google Camera and the 5X... and I don't suspect it'll ever get fixed at this point. Though, maybe I'll load up the 4.2 port to see.... if they got it to snap right away (which it SHOULD be able to do)...

Oh, don't hold the HDR+ processing speed against it... The Nexus devices use an HDR method that is actually extremely processor intensive when compared to the other phones... and does a far better job of reducing noise without degrading the shot's original detail. Quality is worth a little bit of time.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Manual Camera at times and Google Camera most often. My primary interest is in shoot raw and that's slow with all software and Google Camera doesn't do raw.

As for the "drumbeat"? I don't notice it when I'm shooting jpeg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech