7.1.1 is awesome

anon(8627824)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Have been running the beta version of 7.1.1 and I have to say the results are pretty spectacular. Besides a few tweaks and updates, the operating system has really smoothed out some of the issues I was having with the phone. Thankfully the camera is much much better. Not only is it quicker and more responsive, it doesn't crash anymore.

Google needs to move it out of beta and push it out as a regular update.

LGman072

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Have been running the beta version of 7.1.1 and I have to say the results are pretty spectacular. Besides a few tweaks and updates, the operating system has really smoothed out some of the issues I was having with the phone. Thankfully the camera is much much better. Not only is it quicker and more responsive, it doesn't crash anymore.

Google needs to move it out of beta and push it out as a regular update.
It's only on the Pixel phones (so far as I know). And since those just came out, and getting 7.1 first is a selling point for those phones, I imagine it will be a bit longer before it gets pushed to other devices.

anon(8627824)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
It's only on the Pixel phones (so far as I know). And since those just came out, and getting 7.1 first is a selling point for those phones, I imagine it will be a bit longer before it gets pushed to other devices.

If you are in the beta testing program, you can get it for the 5X. It is a nice update all the way around.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, they will release it for general consumption as soon as they deem it ready and not a moment before.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just bit the bullet and installed it last night. I wasn't sure so I waited a bit but seeing the mostly positive reactions I decided to go for it. So far, so good. Install went quickly with no issues. So far all I've done is wipe the cache partition.

Is there any way to get rid of the Beta nag screen when you first start the phone? Otherwise I'm liking it so far.

Last edited:

kamikazemind

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I just want to warn people that while this update is amazing...it can very likely lock up your phone and give you a boot loop. In the past 2 weeks I have had my original Nexus 5x and my replacement Nexus 5x both give me the same problems. I'm pretty sure it is because of the beta 7.1.1. Which sucks because it is a great update.

I recommend sticking with the latest public update until the beta becomes public. Again, just giving a warning :)

zambi82

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
So I was on 7.1.1 beta and my original 5x went into a boot loop. Phone was running awesome right up until its death.... Google sent me a referb. Was waiting for the ota update to 7, but I got impatient and enrolled in the beta. I used the referb out of box with original os (security patch oct 2015) for 2 days. Once 7.1.1 beta installed, I was like holy @$?# this is amazing!! So much faster and smoother, missed all the new features. I don't care if this 5x blows up too bc of 7.1.1 because its just too damn awesome as it is. If they sold this phone running like this last year, I'm sure its sales would have been waaaay better. I guess Google figured it out, and that's why the pixel is doing so well.

Anyways, pretty sure LG acknowledged that its a hardware fault.... Not sure if the software caused the hardware to give up... Time will tell. But 7.1.1 public release is due in a couple weeks. Hope my replacement doesn't die before then.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyways, pretty sure LG acknowledged that its a hardware fault.... Not sure if the software caused the hardware to give up... Time will tell. But 7.1.1 public release is due in a couple weeks. Hope my replacement doesn't die before then.

I don't think the version you loaded had anything to do with it. I think this is all something LG tried in their production lines... the G4 had a rather well-known issue with bootloops, I believe it was related to how the main board was made and some connections were weak or prone to failure. I would chance a guess that, to save money, LG probably tried to re-use as much of the fab process from the G4 as they could.

And you are right, with the latest 7.1.1, the 5X runs superbly.

flipped4dinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So far so good- I was getting frustrated because my 5X would stutter and hang often. With the update I haven't had to restart to get the phone working properly again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci