Nexus 5X won't turn on

pwrOverload

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I have an issue with my Nexus 5X showing no signs of life. A few days ago I noticed when I woke up that the phone had restarted randomly in the middle of the night as it was on the "enter your PIN to start Android" screen. Not a big deal - but never had this happen before. The phone was charged in and battery at 100%. Good thing I didn't have any alarms set!

Then yesterday, while plugged in and charged about 80%, the phone completely froze. I've had this phone freeze before, but only while running an intense application or something with high load, never while just sitting idle. I waited about 30 seconds just to see if it would recover, and then held down power to restart it. Then, when it restarted, it seemed to get stuck on a boot loop where it kept showing the Google splash screen, then going black for a second and then repeat. It did this about 5 or so times, until I unplugged the power cord, and it booted after this (not sure if the unplug had anything to do with it).

After it started, I was thinking how odd that was and that I hope it's not messed. I plugged it back in so it could finish charging. I checked back about 5 minutes later, to find it completely frozen again just on the home screen. I unplugged the power so I could sit down with it (why does it come with such a short cord? :p), and when I did that the screen went black. That was the last time it ever worked.

Since then I've tried everything from the usual steps including:
-leaving it alone for a few hours, not connected to anything
-plugging it into the wall charger and waiting
-plugging it into a computer and waiting
-every combination of holding just power, and holding power and volume down in the above combinations
-removing the back cover and disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnecting

The only sign of anything I got was, after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, when I plugged it into the computer, and pressed and held power, the red led blinked about once every 10-15 seconds so long as I held power. Then I plugged it into the wall, and the red led blinked about 1 time per second for 5 seconds, and then that was it. Never any battery icon or anything on the screen.

I contacted Google, who put me on the line with LG. I was told the phone needs to go into a servicing, and because it is a year and one week old, I would need to pay them for the repairs. Of course I don't want to do this, especially considering I've owned multiple LG phones (including the completely terrible Nexus 4 - an experience so bad it made me not buy the 5, and almost not buy the 5X) over the years and spend lots of money on Google products (mainly G Suite for work). Although I believe the warranty issue is fully with LG, as they make the phone?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? Since it always seems to be charging related could it be a battery issue? Would a broken battery prevent the phone from turning on even if plugged in? I would like to point out this phone doesn't and has never had any other damage, and physically appears to be in excellent condition.

Thanks!

Silverbullets

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have any help but I am currently going through the exact same thing.

It happened to my tablet about two weeks ago but after two days started to work again.

My phone went down last week Friday and it won't turn on at all either.

Like you, I've tried the power combinations and pc/wall charging but I haven't messed with the battery.

If anyone out there can help that woukd be appreciated.

I'm starting to get quite annoyed as I had the same problem with three previous nexus phones.

pwrOverload

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
No can't get into recovery either.

Weird thing was today when I got home, I noticed the red LED would flash once every time I hit the power button. It still won't turn on though, and as soon as I plugged in the charger, the LED stopped flashing at all.

I remember having odd issues with my Nexus 4 and the flashing red LED while powered off. I can't remember what caused it, I think it was the phone thinking the battery was dead or the battery actually being dead but showing charged... Which is why I'm thinking maybe battery? But my Nexus 4 still always turned back on if I held down power.

Last edited:

pwrOverload

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm starting to get quite annoyed as I had the same problem with three previous nexus phones.

Where all three LG models? My Nexus 4 had so many issues and was by far the worst phone I ever owned (some of which are way cheaper too). I do have a few friends however still rocking a Nexus 5 and have had zero issues.

In contrast to the Nexus 4, the Nexus One is the best phone I've ever had. Still got it, and it still works. It's actually had regular use up until about a year ago. I never even had a case on it and dropped it so many times (it's got the damage to prove it) but not even the screen ever broke!

pnkrdood

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happened to my Nexus 5x, i'm still trying to find a solution but nothing yet.
I think this is an LG problem because my Nexus 5 also died after 2 years the same way...

sarantis118

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
A similar issue happened to me, I initially started boot looping while surfing the net. After doing a factory reset from the recovery menu, I was able to get part way into setup before it crashed again and stopped powering up. It would occasionally showing the red LED when plugged in or trying to turn it on.

I called google and got a warranty replacement, but I have to send mine back or get charged $400. I'm hoping the wife's 5X doesn't experience this issue.

I've poked around a few other forums and people have been getting told their issues, that are similar to ours, have been related to flash memory or overheating. In those same threads people have said this is a thing they see with LG products, and that it was a common issue with the LG G4 and V10. I didn't go check out those forums, so I can't verify that.

I've thought about picking up the pixel sometime early next year, but since this is the 2nd out of my 3 nexus devices to die due to bad hardware, I think I'll be checking out HTC's record in that regard first.

pwrOverload

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Just noticed an article on another website claiming LG is issuing refunds for some 5X phones because they are not repairable. Not sure if this is the same cause, but my problem also started with a boot loop just as the article states. I'll be pretty unhappy if my phone is not repairable and a total loss since it's a week out of warranty...

Phone should arrive at LG any day now, so we shall see.

LG is issuing full refunds for some malfunctioning Nexus 5X phones

zambi82

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Mine died 2 days ago. Started going into a reboot loop. Called Google, thankfully still under warranty (got it 11 months ago), they sent me a referb. Just saw the article today about LG issuing refunds. Thing is, I like this phone, and there isn't another phone in this price range that I'd be interested in buying right now. I hope this referb doesn't end in the same fate.

ljredeye

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Just had this issue yesterday and worked with Project Fi to get a replacement for next week, probably a referb, but I'm sure with the article going around it will be a fresh one. It's all relating to Nougat and a hardware failure from my understanding. But if I do get my refund that will go toward a Pixel.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My phone just bit the dust via the reboot loop yesterday. Really was a bummer. Had to go out to Best Buy and pick up a cheap phone until the replacement comes (hopefully within the return period of this phone). One good thing is that Google's customer service was really easy to deal with.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine started bootlooping tonight and now seems to be complete bricked. I am sooooooo pissed. The last LG phone I had was a flip phone back in the day and that was a POS too. No more LG for this guy. I've contacted Google and am waiting to hear back. Of course I bought the damn thing last October, so I guess I'm outside the year warranty. I was literally going to be selling this thing in the next couple weeks and upgrading to a Pixel. So annoyed...

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, perhaps as expected, both Google and LG gave me a big F.U. about the one year warranty. I get it on one hand. It's an express written warranty with clear terms and they can't guaranty a product forever. But on the other hand this is apparently a known, severe hardware flaw that has plagued other LG phones, too. Stand behind your damn product. Phones should last longer than 13 months. I mean it when I say I will never be purchasing another LG product ever again.

Oh well, I ordered my Pixel today but it won't arrive for a couple weeks. In the meantime, I'll just rock this 4.5 year old Galaxy S3 that still works FLAWLESSLY.

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine died earlier this week and has the bootloop issue too. It was working fine until all of a sudden it just shut off and it would constantly reboot at the splash screen. I've been emailing back and forth with Google since Saturday. I did purchase the Nexus Protect but I'm not really happy with it. I finally called Google because emailing takes way too long. I spoke to the Customer Support rep but their system crashed so he had to call me back. The next day, I got an email from him saying to contact LG even though my warranty just expired (like 20 days ago) and not to worry. When I called LG, I told the LG rep that I had a Nexus 5X with the bootloop issue. The first thing that she told me was to remove the battery and put it back in. That was stupid because these aren't supposed to be removed on the Nexus 5X and I let her know what model I had first thing. I brought up that I've been reading about the Nexus 5X bootloop issue all over the internet. She finally told me that I had to go to their repair website to start the process. I filled the form out and have already shipped my phone to LG. Not feeling really optimistic though especially after what happened to jonebk12. I would not be surprised if a class action law suit came out of this just like what happened with my HP tablet.

BTW - I've ordered the Pixel becuase I need a phone bad but it wont ship for about two weeks which sucks. I use Project Fi so I'm sort of out of luck right now. No more LG products for me ever again!!! I had the Nexus 5 which had a serious hardware issue too!

Rob_M

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine died earlier this week and has the bootloop issue too. It was working fine until all of a sudden it just shut off and it would constantly reboot at the splash screen. I've been emailing back and forth with Google since Saturday. I did purchase the Nexus Protect but I'm not really happy with it. I finally called Google because emailing takes way too long. I spoke to the Customer Support rep but their system crashed so he had to call me back. The next day, I got an email from him saying to contact LG even though my warranty just expired (like 20 days ago) and not to worry. When I called LG, I told the LG rep that I had a Nexus 5X with the bootloop issue. The first thing that she told me was to remove the battery and put it back in. That was stupid because these aren't supposed to be removed on the Nexus 5X and I let her know what model I had first thing. I brought up that I've been reading about the Nexus 5X bootloop issue all over the internet. She finally told me that I had to go to their repair website to start the process. I filled the form out and have already shipped my phone to LG. Not feeling really optimistic though especially after what happened to jonebk12. I would not be surprised if a class action law suit came out of this just like what happened with my HP tablet.

BTW - I've ordered the Pixel becuase I need a phone bad but it wont ship for about two weeks which sucks. I use Project Fi so I'm sort of out of luck right now. No more LG products for me ever again!!! I had the Nexus 5 which had a serious hardware issue too!

Rob_M

I was told I could send mine in, but would be charged for the repair because it's out of warranty. I haven't bothered yet; I figured it could easily cost more than the phone is worth. If you don't mind, could you report back what they say it will cost?

I was in the same boat with Project Fi. Obviously my temporary S3 won't work with Fi, but I had been wanting to switch back to Verizon anyway. Fi coverage was just not nearly good enough.

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Will do! On the bright side, I just got an email saying my Pixel just shipped. That's great but weird because when I ordered it the estimated delivery date was Dec. 19 - 20th. I agree though, they need to stand behind their products. If they know there is a serious hardware failure, they should be smart and fix it.

Rob_M

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed an article on another website claiming LG is issuing refunds for some 5X phones because they are not repairable. Not sure if this is the same cause, but my problem also started with a boot loop just as the article states. I'll be pretty unhappy if my phone is not repairable and a total loss since it's a week out of warranty...

Phone should arrive at LG any day now, so we shall see.

LG is issuing full refunds for some malfunctioning Nexus 5X phones

any news? I had mine die after 13 months, google and lg phone support said i was screwed. sent it in anyways just to see what they say. tracking says it is in the repair process.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice, my Pixel just shipped today too (it had said Dec 22-23). I can't complain about that. Let's just hope HTC knows what it's doing better than LG when it comes to hardware.

Interestingly, my 5X actually booted all the way up last night. Unfortunately it didn't last. I scrambled to grab a cable and was a minute or two into transferring photos to my computer before it froze up and started bootlooping again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech