Dead 5x - 13 mos old, out of warranty - Nougat reboot loop

dirkpitt73

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Phone has been crashing and slowing down more lately since Nougat update. Last night it crashed and rebooted in a loop. Finally got it restart, cleared the cache partition and it seemed good. This morning it locked up, got in a reboot loop so I did a wipe thinking that would fix it. Wipe successful but it still does reboot loop and I can't even get into recovery mode.

So I called Fi (bought from them and have service). They were ready to send me another one but then said couldn't because it's 2-3 weeks out of warranty. I said no way, this is a known issue, Google forum moderators acknowledge there are certain 5x's that don't work with Nougat. So I have a brick and even if I wanted to buy a Pixel the wait is weeks. This SUCKS.

So I'm waiting on Fi's "concessions" department to approve an exception to send me a refurbed (I assume) 5x. I really don't want to buy another 5x, even though they are down to $199 - I still owe on this one. Fingers crossed Google / Fi comes through - in the meantime, I bought a flip phone for $12 at Best Buy to make calls. Not ideal folks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that happened. I'm glad they're at least considering helping you out - please let us know how that turns out.