Oleophobic Coating

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'll admit I'm a bit obsessive about fingerprints. The oleophobic coating didn't last long but was lovely while it lasted. I'm looking at the liquid you apply and wonder if anyone has tried it. Specifically, is it possible to screw it up and render your screen unusable? If you do screw it up, is there a solvent that will remove it without dissolving the phone? I'm the guy you sat at the outdoor cafe with his fingers superglued to the table. I am not handy.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you're referring to liquid screen protector, most of the user reviews are positive but there are a few negative ones. I have a particular brand of it myself, but am reluctant to use it because I've never been able to find a description of how to remove it, including in the manufacturer's FAQs. Nor could I find any explanation of why it is applied to the whole phone, nor any mention of what effect it would have on the optical properties of the camera glass. I also don't understand why handling the phone when applying it, as you are bound and indeed instructed to do before setting it aside to dry, has presumably no deleterious effect on the touched areas. Nor is it clear how easy it is to judge when the coating wears off, nor whether a subsequent reapplication coats only the worn parts, or also the unworn parts. In short there is too much uncertainty overall for my liking.
I'll ask the Ambassador team whether they've used it.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Why not just clean your screen and apply a tempered glass screen protector? I use one from iCarez and it has been great.

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a screen with an oleophobic coating on the way...from China. But, the oleophobic coating is not long lasting. If smeering some gunk on occasionally is practical I wouldn't mind doing that. A spray that could go on as a mist and dry overnight would be great but the instructions I read on the oleophobic gunk were daunting enough I have no doubt I could screw it up.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd be scared to do the spray thing too. The glass protectors are cheap enough I'd just get a new one once the coating comes off. So far after 6 months my glass protector is still holding up.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The original oleophobic--love that word--coating lasted about four months but I'll admit I'm a bit compulsive about wiping fingerprints off the screen. I don't wait till they interfere with performance. It's strange since I can listen to the phone ring and not answer it or listen to the knock on the door and not open it but I cannot see a fingerprint on my Nexus screen and leave it there.

Maybe if they made screens so they looked like they had fingerprints and they didn't..........

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The original oleophobic--love that word--coating lasted about four months but I'll admit I'm a bit compulsive about wiping fingerprints off the screen. I don't wait till they interfere with performance. It's strange since I can listen to the phone ring and not answer it or listen to the knock on the door and not open it but I cannot see a fingerprint on my Nexus screen and leave it there.

Maybe if they made screens so they looked like they had fingerprints and they didn't..........

I'm so with you on this. I'm always wiping away fingerprints with a microfiber cloth. It's like a sickness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC