Ad/spyware without a download!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aburridoz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, the other day was looking for a torrent on my nexus 5x to be later downloaded in my pc. Suddenly I hit an adpage loop, those that it doesn't matter how many times you keep hitting back it always ends up loading another ad. When I came back to my home screen I found an ad ballon floating fb messenger style. There's no way to close it but than to open it. It's worth mentioning that I never downloaded nor installed anything. I've tried Malware Bytes, Avira without succes. I've been thinking about hard resseting my 5x, but that's always a hassle. Here's a screenshot of the floating balloon and how it looks when opened. Any clue? Any help is appreciated!
Screenshot_20161205-123404[1].jpgScreenshot_20161205-124431[1].jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My guess is that you got hit by adware or malware while dealing with the torrent site or app. Torrents are a prime target for malware, because lots of people want to find movies for free (which is illegal), and torrent sites are generally unregulated.

You could try uninstalling apps one by one to see if the problem goes away, but ultimately, you may have to do a factory reset. In the future, I strongly recommend against frequenting torrent sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.