Nexus 5 vs 5x which is the better deal for me

tgbv

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I can get a new Nexus 5 32 GB for $220 Canadian or a new 5x 32 GB for $450 Canadian.

Is it worth spending the extra $230 for the 5x?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Is the exchange rate really that high? You could get a 5x in the US for what you're looking at paying for the 5! I would suggest shopping around a little more.

tgbv

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
After posting this I found a new 5x for $365 Canadian

I also have the option of changing my cell phone plan.

I can pay $13.50 more a month and get a new Samsung galaxy s7 but my data would drop from 6GB to 4GB a month and I'll have to sign a 2 year contract.

Decisions, Decisions. I know I don't need the s7 but also want the 5 or 5x to last me a few years.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know -- the Nexus 5 is no longer getting security updates from Google, while the 5x has almost two years of security updates left, plus it's 64 bit (vs 32 bit for the Nexus 5).

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
As I recall, the Nexus 5 had a lot more complaints about battery life than does the Nexus 5x. It might be because there were a lot more Nexus 5 phones sold. I don't really know. I do like my 5x and I like running Android 7.

tgbv

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
As I recall, the Nexus 5 had a lot more complaints about battery life than does the Nexus 5x. It might be because there were a lot more Nexus 5 phones sold. I don't really know. I do like my 5x and I like running Android 7.

How much longer do you feel you'll be able to keep using your 5x? Having used the phone if you were in my position would you pay $365 for a new one or do you feel a newer device would be a better option?

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Having owned both phones, the 5x is definitely worth 140 more than the 5. The camera performance alone is worth the difference. Now a new flagship will cost probably 900-1000, so you need to ask yourself if they are 2.5x the cost of the 5x.

Or if you are into bigger phones you could pick up a 1+ 3T, which is a really good performer at ~700CAD.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I am not you. I would certainly buy the Nexus 5x because I like the Nexus line and won't pay the price for the Pixel pair. I also enjoy taking photos and the Nexus 5x has a great camera for a phone. I will be keeping the Nexus 5x until either the price comes way down on the Pixels and I read some reviews of the camera.

The "if you were me" is a problem. I'm 76-years old, have no games on my phone, do zero of Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp type program. I am also mostly deaf so I don't actually receive phone calls. In a pinch, I can make a call. I can speak but I don't hear well.

So, there is no way I can say, "If I were you....."

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
After posting this I found a new 5x for $365 Canadian

I also have the option of changing my cell phone plan.

I can pay $13.50 more a month and get a new Samsung galaxy s7 but my data would drop from 6GB to 4GB a month and I'll have to sign a 2 year contract.

Decisions, Decisions. I know I don't need the s7 but also want the 5 or 5x to last me a few years.

The $365 surprised me so I looked up the exchange rate ($365Cdn = $269US) -- so the pricing is comparable. You can get a 5x 32Gb for $249 from Google if you sign up for project Fi (no contract, just sign up.)

My Nexus 5 has been a faithful companion for three years but I'm apprehensive about any device connected to the internet that doesn't get security updates.

I'll miss the N5's wireless charging. Why that feature didn't get more popular baffles me. :(

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is the 5 *really* new? Is it a Google-boxed device, or one being sold directly by the manufacturer as a "white box" item?

I don't think there are many Google-box Nexus 5's left in the open market.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... the 5X is, without a doubt, the better phone. Now, it took a while to get there, but LG finally completed their cranial-rectal extraction and got the software right over the course of 2016 and 7.1.1 runs really well on the 5X. Nearly everything on the 5X is an upgrade, not to mention the fact that the 5X is still supported and will be so for another year (for major OS updates) and two years of security fixes.

van_basten

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I have both. Camera and battery on 5X are the two things that are much better than the 5. The fingerprint feature on 5X is nice. Performance wise the 5X does not feel faster to me. In some cases I feel that the old 5 is more snappy. Having said that, I would still get the 5X for the better camera and battery and the availability of project fi (in US)

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I now have both a Nexus 5 and a 5x. The 5x hasn't been activated yet -- I'm waiting until my monthly plan for the N5 is about to run out to activate the 5x on project fi. I have been playing with the 5x (wi-fi only) and I do like it, particularly Android 7.1. I will miss wireless charging (the N5 has it, the 5x does not).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I LOVED my 5. It was my introduction to Android and it was a perfect one. Support for the 5 as far as updates go is no longer available, unfortunately. Don't know what the 5X's status is; however, these phones would still run fine without the latest updates. I have a friend who has a Nexus 5 and it still works well.

I would recommend the 5X, as I've heard a lot of great things about it. I'm kind of biased with having owned a Nexus 5 in the past lool.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I LOVED my 5. It was my introduction to Android and it was a perfect one. Support for the 5 as far as updates go is no longer available, unfortunately. Don't know what the 5X's status is; however, these phones would still run fine without the latest updates. I have a friend who has a Nexus 5 and it still works well.

I would recommend the 5X, as I've heard a lot of great things about it. I'm kind of biased with having owned a Nexus 5 in the past lool.

5X launched with M, has N 7.1.1 now and will get O (8) before it's done being guaranteed updates, security updates will go until near the launch of P or after.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was sad to see Google abandon Nexus and go with expensive Pixel phones. Ego has ruined more than a few companies.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Just so you know -- the Nexus 5 is no longer getting security updates from Google, while the 5x has almost two years of security updates left, plus it's 64 bit (vs 32 bit for the Nexus 5).

Agreed, i think the Nexus 5x is definitely the better option. I always recommend the newer device (unless cost is a major factor) simply because of longer support for security updates and OS updates. The 5x is also definitely worth the price. I was looking at buying one for months and months but finally settled on another device simply because of Black Fridays deals haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn