My Nexus 5x just turned off and wont turn back on again

A

AC Question

Ive had my 5x for long enough that LG and Google both want nothing to do with me so I cant send it back under warranty.

I was using my phone when it turned off, nothing unusual about what i was doing, I didn't even have an app open, it was just the homescreen. The phone completely turned off and hasn't turned on since.

I have tried:
Charging for 15 minutes via a PC and then unplugging and plugging back in (i found this on Googles site)
Charging over night, and then constantly for a few days
Leaving for about a week not charging and then charging
Booting by holding the vol up and vol down buttons with the power button.

The most ive ever got from it is the red notification light to flash at some point (so i immediately plugged it in to no avail) and another time where pressing the power button+vol up booted into some sort of firmware update thing which didnt do anything so I turned it off and haven't been able to recreate this since.

I also ordered a genuine replacement battery for it and replaced that, and have taken it all apart and put it back together (I've done this with many devices so Im quite comfortable doing it when ive got nothing to lose) with no change.

Im aware that everyone is either going to say its ruined, or i need to send it in for repairs, but i cant afford to have it repaired so I just thought id ask in case i can order some part or something and fix it for £10

Thanks in advance to any replies :)

HedgieMatty

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your response :)

I have tried that before, but I just tried it again and the phone just does nothing.
To be honest my main thought is that id rather get my data back than actually get the phone working, i was planning on upgrading anyway, it'd just be nice to be able to copy my stuff over

HedgieMatty

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Well if thats the case then i'd be happy to do a factory reset, but i cant because nothing happens why i try to boot into recovery mode.
Is it possible to restore the data onto a different phone? For example i've got a nexus 5 with a smashed screen and the speaker doesn't work, but for now would it be possible to get the data from the backup of my 5x and restore it to the 5?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well if thats the case then i'd be happy to do a factory reset, but i cant because nothing happens why i try to boot into recovery mode.
Is it possible to restore the data onto a different phone? For example i've got a nexus 5 with a smashed screen and the speaker doesn't work, but for now would it be possible to get the data from the backup of my 5x and restore it to the 5?

I was commenting on your statement, "To be honest my main thought is that id rather get my data back than actually get the phone working." Unless you told Android to not back up your phone to Google then most of your data will be restored. Well, maybe not but it was for me. My photos, my apps, my contacts were all restored.

HedgieMatty

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I didnt mean to sound blunt! I was in a hurry :p well I'm 99% sure I did have my phone set up backup, but does that mean i can restore it back to another device? When i factory reset my backup phone (the nexus 5) I didn't get any option to restore from a backup. it just asked if i wanted to transfer data via NFC from another phone which was on.

It'd be useful if Google let you log in on a PC and access your backup data

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have three devices (two phones and a tablet) all accessing the same data. So while you may not be able to do an actual "data restore" to a new phone, your stuff should be accessable if it was backed up to your Google account. I have my pics, contacts and calendar all using my Google account and can always access my stuff after a reset.

I never do a data restore after a reset so I can't really say how that would go. I realize that my situation is not as demanding as someone else's might be. If I can get my mail, contacts and pictures back I'm good to go. I use SMS Backup and Restore to get my SMS back. But that requires having a backup of your texts, obviously.

HedgieMatty

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
I have three devices (two phones and a tablet) all accessing the same data. So while you may not be able to do an actual "data restore" to a new phone, your stuff should be accessable if it was backed up to your Google account. I have my pics, contacts and calendar all using my Google account and can always access my stuff after a reset.

Right, ok. My plan is to buy a new phone if i cant fix my nexus, and so being able to get my contacts, photos and calendar etc is a great start!

I never do a data restore after a reset so I can't really say how that would go. I realize that my situation is not as demanding as someone else's might be. If I can get my mail, contacts and pictures back I'm good to go. I use SMS Backup and Restore to get my SMS back. But that requires having a backup of your texts, obviously.

The only reason Im a bit annoyed is because I had a few 3rd party apps which had photos on them, and obviously Google wont have backed that up. Im more annoyed with myself because I should've backed everything up more often!

Thank you for replying :)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a pro but I believe the backup is independent of the device and is tied to the GMail account. When I got my Nexus 5x, I loaded my contacts, photos, apps, etc. from Google.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1