Can't open and use my camera anymore!

Ronald95

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi!
LG Nexus 5X user here.
Android 7.1.1
I have encountered a problem with my phone's camera.

The problem: When I open up my camera (Google Camera app), I get a black screen, only take a picture and switch between front and back camera buttons are displayed. Few seconds go by, I get a message: "Camera has stopped"

This all started last year in the summer when I installed Android Nougat. I managed to get it open then when I restarted my phone or cleared data. But since this year after few android security patches I can no longer open my camera.

So far I have tried:

clear Google Camera data and restart phone,
disable (restore to factory version) Google Camera and enable and update to new version,
factory reset,
and also tried other camera apps

but still nothing! Can't use my camera anymore.

But I'm also suspecting that the app might not be the problem. After trying other camera apps (which all gave the same message: "Camera has stopped") I'm starting to think that the camera itself is broken or something.

Bought the phone in June 2016 and have never dropped it.

Last edited:

Ronald95

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for replying!
I updated to Nougat via OTA!

Also it gives me the same message in Safe Mode.

I think it's an hardware issue because even my flashlight doesn't open and using the app shortcut, that came with Nougat 7.1.1 update, I can't even open my front camera.

or it could be issue caused by security patch! Last photo taken with the phone's camera is dated February 6 2017!

I'm willing to wait for April security patch to see if that fixes things up. If not then to guarantee or buy a new phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for replying!
I updated to Nougat via OTA!

Also it gives me the same message in Safe Mode.

I think it's an hardware issue because even my flashlight doesn't open and using the app shortcut, that came with Nougat 7.1.1 update, I can't even open my front camera.

or it could be issue caused by security patch! Last photo taken with the phone's camera is dated February 6 2017!

I'm willing to wait for April security patch to see if that fixes things up. If not then to guarantee or buy a new phone.

I would contact either Google or LG on what steps to take for a replacement. You could also try either reflashing the stock ROM or a cache clear in recovery.