Google Nexus 6 What's the difference between skinned vs. stock Android?

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm an iPhone user, since the iPhone 2, and I'm going to jump to Android for my upcoming purchase (contract ends October 2nd). I've been doing a ton of research and I'm getting more confused as I go. At first I had narrowed it down to the S5, G3, or M8, but I kept reading gripes about the (respectively) Samsung, LG and HTC skins and kept reading platitudes about "stock Android", which raises the possibility that I would include Moto X and Nexus 6 (if it's happening) into my consideration.

Questions:
1. How annoying are the skins, really to a non-power user (keeping in mind that I'm coming from iOS)?
2. How likely is the release of the (consensus "stock Android" superstar) Nexus 6 in 2014?
3. If you're me, coming from iOS, with a perfectly usable iPhone 5 and a contract up in October, do you jump in one of the flagships (S5, G3, M8) or hold out for the next Nexus (or the Moto X? or something else?)?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re: What's the difference between skinned vs. stock Android?

Skins can possibly slow the phone down. If you are going to an Android, I have seen many threads where an iPhone user changes to a Moto X or Nexus and they typically like it.

The next Nexus is still in question. It might be announced soon when Google releases the new OS in a few weeks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

My vote would be for the Moto X. It has a stock Android experience with very useful features added to improve it. The build quality of the original was great, and it feels great in the hand.

As far as skins go, you most likely won't notice the difference unless you use both a skinned version of Android and a stock/near-stock version. But like Golfdriver said, the experience is usually smoother with a stock device.

Alec Mountain

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

I vote for the Moto X as well, the new one coming out at least. Since you're new to Android you probably won't know what a skin really is anyway, but I'd still go with something similar to if not stock android

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Is the Moto X+1 supposed to be better than the Nexus 6 (all based on rumors, I know...)?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Is the Moto X+1 supposed to be better than the Nexus 6 (all based on rumors, I know...)?

The rumors are that it has better specs. But it's all just rumors like you said, so I wouldn't pay attention to them

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Even if true, it won't mean the Nexus will be a bad device.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

And then there is the (rumored) forthcoming Moto X "Pure Edition".

Regardless, Nexus devices are high bang-for-the-buck, but not at the sharp end of the feature or performance scale.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
And then there is the (rumored) forthcoming Moto X "Pure Edition".

Regardless, Nexus devices are high bang-for-the-buck, but not at the sharp end of the feature or performance scale.

All that is is an unbranded, unlocked Moto X. Nothing special in terms of hardware or software.
The Nexus 5 was definitely a high end phone...

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Sorry to keep peppering you with questions everyone, but what is it about stock Android (Moto, Nexus) that is superior to the skinned versions (LG, Samsung, HTC)? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should, as a former iPhone user, go for a skin or for stock, and why? Are the skins sometimes better, easier to use? I know they tend to bog down speed a little, but I'm trying to figure out whether I would appreciate them or resent them.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to keep peppering you with questions everyone, but what is it about stock Android (Moto, Nexus) that is superior to the skinned versions (LG, Samsung, HTC)? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should, as a former iPhone user, go for a skin or for stock, and why? Are the skins sometimes better, easier to use? I know they tend to bog down speed a little, but I'm trying to figure out whether I would appreciate them or resent them.

Well they're all quite a bit different. You'd have to use them to see if you like them or not, but at least here on AC, not many are fans of TouchWiz. Sense is decent IMO, and I'm not sure what LG's skin is called, but I'd put it above TW but below Sense.

Stock is a lot more cleaned up IMO. And it allows for faster software updates. But speed is generally what makes them better than the skinned versions of Android.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Stock also takes less memory than some skinned versions of Android, namely TW.

Vic Rivera

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

So, what is the " skin"?

I read all the replies, but no one really got into what are the "skin " of the device.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

From my understanding, "stock Android" is the basic, bare-bones operating system, and the "skins" are the proprietary tweaks to the base Android OS that create the look of the system in those (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.) phones. That's why, for instance, LG, HTC and Samsung phones look different on the screen than each other. Without the skins, they would (presumably) look the same (or similar), but if you look at "home screen" pictures, they don't look alike at all- colors, the way the screens are laid out, etc. It's a selling point, because all other things being equal, what makes an HTC more desirable than a Samsung if they look exactly the same? On the other hand, those skins take memory and tend to slow down the phone (to varying degrees), so some Android purists prefer "stock Android", without the skins.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

From my understanding, "stock Android" is the basic, bare-bones operating system, and the "skins" are the proprietary tweaks to the base Android OS that create the look of the system in those (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.) phones. That's why, for instance, LG, HTC and Samsung phones look different on the screen than each other. Without the skins, they would (presumably) look the same (or similar), but if you look at "home screen" pictures, they don't look alike at all- colors, the way the screens are laid out, etc. It's a selling point, because all other things being equal, what makes an HTC more desirable than a Samsung if they look exactly the same? On the other hand, those skins take memory and tend to slow down the phone (to varying degrees), so some Android purists prefer "stock Android", without the skins.

Yeah that's correct. What I usually do on an Android phone with a skin is use nova prime as a launcher. It gets rid of any lag at least for me it does.

Vic Rivera

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Wow, that is what I was waiting for. I have a blackberry and their forums are nothing like this.

Thanks a lot. You just made me reallocate consider going to an android base phone.

Thanks again.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

100% spot on.
/thread

Last edited:

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Tip my hat to you sir.

For someone who started this thread 2 days ago wondering about skins, you really have a good grip on them now. This post explained them perfectly. Cheers!

BubbleBalls

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I moved from ios to android recently and have not looked back. Android lets you tweak so much more than the locked down IOS. I have had a Motorola moto G, oneplus one, HTC M7 and now an LG G3. Each have their nags but skinwise you will quickly get used to whatever phone you pick. If you dont like a skin you can use a launcher and tweak everything to your liking. If you go further you can look at rooting and custom roms (Not for G3 just yet). Android really is great for personalising.
Only nag I have is that Netflix on every android device I have tried has audio sync issues. Comfort wise, the G3 sits amazingly well one handed for a 5.5 display .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2