Do we know Nexus 6 pricing?

ryan.kruger

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully this maintains its low-price point that the Nexus line has been known for.

I'm planning on picking one up unlocked from the Play Store, because I don't think T Mobile is going to sell them.

Just have a hunch after their un-carrier 7.0 that with the wi-fi calling not being a feature in the N5 - and no word on native WFC in Android L, we're probably not going to see it there.

I don't want to speculate cost - really. I would imagine it would stay about the same, considering the Oppo OnePlus One plus one plus is giving the N5 a run for its money.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Be prepared for a huge crush of orders on Google Play, and the high likelihood that the site will crash on and off due to the high traffic, as well as quick sellout!

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this maintains its low-price point that the Nexus line has been known for.

I'm planning on picking one up unlocked from the Play Store, because I don't think T Mobile is going to sell them.

Just have a hunch after their un-carrier 7.0 that with the wi-fi calling not being a feature in the N5 - and no word on native WFC in Android L, we're probably not going to see it there.

I don't want to speculate cost - really. I would imagine it would stay about the same, considering the Oppo OnePlus One plus one plus is giving the N5 a run for its money.

Good for you for going off-contract. I wish more people would do that -- buying phones from carriers (even off-contract) is a terrible deal for the consumer since most phones get designed based on what the carriers want -- which does not coincide with the consumers' best interest.

I have no idea what "Oppo OnePlus One plus one plus" means -- care to explain?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

The OnePlus One might give the Nexus program a run for it's money if they had not played the whole invite game for months on end. I was interested at one point and after about two dozen "Games" or "Sweepstakes" to win the right to buy one I just gave up on it... They put it off long enough that I figured I'd just wait on the Nexus 6/X and then circle back to Either the LG G3 or Note 4 if the Nexus 6/X isn't all I expect it to be.

As for pricing.. If it's a 5.9 inch QHD Screen and Snapdragon 805... I'd venture to guess it will be more expensive than you might expect it to be... The Nexus 4 was what $299 off contract? then $349 and $399 for the Nexus 5? I'd say if they go with a 5.2 inch version your probably starting at $399 and it goes up from there... If it's a 5.9 inch monster I wouldn't be shocked at $499 without contract starting point.......

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The OnePlus One is a more niche product than the Nexus 5. I don't think Google's worried about it.

You don't want to speculate cost, yet you're asking about pricing for a phone that isn't even official. ;)

lkbig

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing $399 for 16gb and $429 or $449 for the 32gb. Either way it will still be a steal if you can get it for $500 or less.

Posted via Android Central App

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems like it must be more expensive to make than the Moto X, which is currently $500, so I'm guessing this will also be ~$500.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems like it must be more expensive to make than the Moto X, which is currently $500, so I'm guessing this will also be ~$500.

The Nexus 5 was based on the LG G2 and it was cheaper than the G2...... I think Google sells the device very close to cost where as the MFG sells the devices at more of a premium.... (or well retail outlets sell them at a higher premium... A Nexus 5 from the play store was cheaper than the exact same Nexus 5 bought directly from Sprint or T-Mobile as they had their mark up in it) If the Moto X is $499 and the new Nexus X/6 is based on the 5.2 inch Moto X I'd guess $399 - 449 starting point...... if it's the 5.9 I'd say $499 starting point on the larger device....

Motorola has to make their money on the hardware... Google just needs more people using Chrome and Google search so they can make more on the back end (Advertisements) so they just need to break even or even lose a little on the hardware side...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Weren't there stories that Google subsidize the cost of the Nexus 5? They may do the same for the Nexus 6.

If those latest screen size and specs are true, I really can't imagine it being as cheap as the Nexus 5. I actually raise my prediction now. I'll wager the base model will be anywhere between $399 and $449.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This same conversation happened last year before the launch of the Nexus 5. I mean, with the rumored specs Google has every right to charge more than $350, but they aren't any more cutting edge now than the Nexus 5 was a year ago and the Nexus 4 was a year before that.

Also, I believe the Nexus 4 launched at $350 for 8 GB and that got dropped to $299 when they introduced the 16 GB at $350.

juankdg

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
No man, nexus 4 was $300 8 GB and $350 16 GB since day one, I know cause I bought it the day it launched and was 16 GB version.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I believe the relatively low price for Nexus phones is a recent phenomenon. The HTC Nexus One and Samsung Nexus S phones were pretty expensive for their time.

Even the Samsung Galaxy Nexus started out with a high price. The price only dropped during that year's Google I/O.

The Nexus 4 was the first Nexus phone to launch with a discounted price. Since that was popular, the Nexus 5 also launched with a discounted price, but it wasn't as cheap as the Nexus 4.

Maybe we'll see Google release another Nexus phone at a relatively cheap price, but what would be a fair price? It's not unusual to see off-contract phones that cost $650.

Furthermore, is it necessary for the Nexus to be inexpensive, especially since you're getting top hardware, no carrier bloat, and guaranteed updates?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The whole off contract thing is still a relatively new concept for us Americans... We were programmed for years and years and years to pay $100 - 200 for top of the line hardware without even blinking to the fact we were signing a two year contract... It wasn't until the Nexus 5 I truly jumped shipped from contracts and bought my first phone outright... (not entirely true... I bought a Nexus One off contract but sold it a few months later because at the time T-Mobile service was horrendous when that device came out and went back to a contract on an HTC EVO 4G WiMax phone)

It's still a way better deal for MOST people to sign a contract and lower the upfront cost for the device...... So most people could careless if it's $299 or $799.... It's becoming more of a thing here.. Although most people seem to instead of signing a contract are financing their devices (which honestly isn't much different than just paying $200 and signing a two year contract.... Just moves the money around and splits it up to where your paying X amount for service and X amount for the phone instead of it being hidden all together in one bill)

Off contract outright... I'd pay $399 - 449 (Max/Top end) for something like the Nexus 5 or say a Moto X 2014 and $100 more if it's a Phablet 5.9 inch monster (my ideal device is the larger one) It won't be long before the Moto X 2014 is on sale for $449 or even $399... They did that on and off with the original Moto X over the last year....

The Nexus devices are no longer the developer device they started out as..... But Google isn't in the Nexus Market to make money on the hardware.... They will sell these devices at minimal profit on the hardware..... For them to stay relevant going forward they need Android to continue to be the majority of devices out there... It generates more traffic for their main business.... and Mobile is the future... They will lose money on hardware to make it up on the back end (Search/Ad revenue)

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My guess would be $499. Hard to see those specs going for any less.

People were saying that same thing about the Nexus 5 a year ago in threads like this. People thought it couldn't be under $450 or $500 based on the specs. For its time, it was no less impressive than the Shamu is rumored to be. Same with the Nexus 4. It was an incredibly powerful device for its day. This year we do have the added variable of Motorola being the manufacturer instead of LG, so that may play a part as well.